Author Topic: The Voice of Principled, Thinking Conservatism Needs Your Support  (Read 3045 times)

Offline MACVSOG68

Re: The Voice of Principled, Thinking Conservatism Needs Your Support
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2016, 04:48:04 pm »
I'm in Ohio, so the bias here is that Kasich would be the best of what's left. I'm more libertarian than conservative, so Kasich suits me just fine. I could live with a "true conservative", whatever that is, but my preference is for someone to unify, and solve problems. Yeah, Kasich is a politician. He loves himself a bit too much for my liking. His Lehman Bros. time is problematic. He will go a little too far left on occasion.

What is the old saying, something about doing a good job if you irritate everyone?

I think Kasich can win, and I think in this contested convention he has a real shot. Notice that Speaker Ryan said the nominee should come from the pool of people who are left running.

Agree with everything you said.  And I was glad to hear Ryan saying that.  Most Republicans would agree I think in spite of what they might think about the three left. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2016, 04:49:10 pm »
Ted might have negatives similar to Trump.

So why support either one?   Why not support the conservative who can win - John Kasich?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2016, 04:52:11 pm »

I vehemently disagree with your assessment.

Why?  Other than Cruz will stand on principle, can you articulate how he's going to get his agenda enacted in Congress that simply doesn't like him to begin with?  Taking it to the American people sounds great, but at the moment they also dislike him by almost a 2 to 1 margin.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2016, 04:57:39 pm »
Why?  Other than Cruz will stand on principle, can you articulate how he's going to get his agenda enacted in Congress that simply doesn't like him to begin with?  Taking it to the American people sounds great, but at the moment they also dislike him by almost a 2 to 1 margin.

1. Because once he becomes the nominee the media filter becomes very much less effective.

2. There are still a goodly number of people like me around who will do our part to ensure that he does!

3. The Congress will do what WE tell them to do!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2016, 05:27:00 pm »
1. Because once he becomes the nominee the media filter becomes very much less effective.

2. There are still a goodly number of people like me around who will do our part to ensure that he does!

:amen:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2016, 05:46:21 pm »

Who exactly is the WE?  Which of his plans and principles will bring the Country back together to stand with him against Congress?  Certainbly won't be immigration or his tax plan.  His social values don't reflect a significant part of the Country either.  He wants to restore American leadership.  So does everyone else, though not necessarily by starting the Cold War all over again.  And ask Romney and McCain about that post-nomination media filer.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2016, 05:47:37 pm »
So why support either one?   Why not support the conservative who can win - John Kasich?   

I see Kasich back in the picture if neither wins on the first vote.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2016, 05:53:13 pm »
The fact that you don't understand what I said does not surprise me in the least. 

So, you're routinely misunderstood.  That's a pretty tough way to go through life.  I'll keep you in my prayers.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2016, 05:54:47 pm »

Great question.  Please send me a PM if he gets around to answering it.  Thanks. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2016, 06:03:04 pm »
Great question.  Please send me a PM if he gets around to answering it.  Thanks.

I HAVE answered it MANY times! YOU didn't understand the answer!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2016, 06:04:46 pm »
Who exactly is the WE?  Which of his plans and principles will bring the Country back together to stand with him against Congress?  Certainbly won't be immigration or his tax plan.  His social values don't reflect a significant part of the Country either.  He wants to restore American leadership.  So does everyone else, though not necessarily by starting the Cold War all over again.  And ask Romney and McCain about that post-nomination media filer.

Really?  I have a very different opinion!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2016, 06:06:01 pm »
I HAVE answered it MANY times! YOU didn't understand the answer!

Where?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2016, 06:10:21 pm »
Where?

On this very thread a few posts up!

The fact that you don't LIKE my answer means nothing to me.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2016, 06:15:23 pm »
So, you're routinely misunderstood.  That's a pretty tough way to go through life.  I'll keep you in my prayers.

Only by YOU! Thanks for the prayers! I can never have to many of those!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2016, 06:17:17 pm »
Really?  I have a very different opinion!

I know.  Be nice...for Cruz if his supporters could just get past that "opinion" thing.  Maybe he can try to answer those questions since his supporters are having some difficulties with them.  I know you trust him to somehow turn the Country around to his way of thinking, but how will his side convince the majority of the Country that today neither understand how he'll get these things done, or even hold him in a favorable light?    Heck I'm still trying to understand who the WE are that's going to make Congress fall in line with someone almost none of them care for.  That's not my problem; it's yours.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2016, 06:24:59 pm »
I know.  Be nice...for Cruz if his supporters could just get past that "opinion" thing.  Maybe he can try to answer those questions since his supporters are having some difficulties with them.  I know you trust him to somehow turn the Country around to his way of thinking, but how will his side convince the majority of the Country that today neither understand how he'll get these things done, or even hold him in a favorable light?    Heck I'm still trying to understand who the WE are that's going to make Congress fall in line with someone almost none of them care for.  That's not my problem; it's yours.

And I told you how I see him doing that! Never said it would be easy and I'm not about to lay out any strategies here!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2016, 06:25:44 pm »
While anecdotal, there's enough evidence out there that Cruz is simply not liked by most of the people he worked, and works, with.  I've never liked his breathless evangelical-preacher speaking style; it makes me cringe every time I hear him.  And his "carpet bomb" remarks are much like Trump's "we'll deport 'em all" nonsense.

I'll vote for Cruz, but won't be happy about it.

OK, but pretty thin gruel.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2016, 06:27:36 pm »

I wasn't aware that a conservative John Kasich was running.  Hmmm.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2016, 06:39:47 pm »
And I told you how I see him doing that! Never said it would be easy and I'm not about to lay out any strategies here!

Well we agree on that one.  It certainly won't be easy.  And not to worry.  You didn't give away any of his strategies.  :beer:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2016, 06:41:31 pm »

No need to run out and check your mail anytime soon... :whistle:

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2016, 06:49:52 pm »
I wasn't aware that a conservative John Kasich was running.  Hmmm.

Kasich is running to the left of Obama 2008, at least in words he says.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2016, 07:13:15 pm »

Yes, but that doesn't make him a conservative!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2016, 07:14:22 pm »

You mean Kasich would do more than just fundamentally change the Country?

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2016, 07:16:33 pm »
You mean Kasich would do more than just fundamentally change the Country?

I'm talking specific policy proposals, such as 100 Day Amnesty, and not the empty platitudes that Obama used to fool dumb people.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2016, 07:24:30 pm »
By continuing to stand on principle and clearly articulating his message.

Alien concept these days, eh?

Three videos that I have seen from Cruz that show me principles can win:

1. Speaking to Middle Eastern Christians, Cruz suggests persecution is bad, even for Jews. The crowd boos - Cruz leaves. "If you will not stand with Israel [you filthy bigots], then I will not stand with you." He looked great as a result. (I may have added some subtext there.)

2. An illegal immigrant at one of his rallies tells him how "scared" she is that he will deport him. He says, "Yep, our broken system creates human tragedies, but we're a country of laws, so I will deport you." Excellent!

3. An Iowa farmer tells Cruz he can't support him because Cruz doesn't support the subsidies. Cruz very carefully articulates why the subsidies are bad, and how he can actually do better without them.

In all cases, the man didn't pander. He stood on principle and sounded mature and great - like a leader.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!