Author Topic: The Voice of Principled, Thinking Conservatism Needs Your Support  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: The Voice of Principled, Thinking Conservatism Needs Your Support
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 03:02:11 pm »
Indeed it is!  It tells me that Ted Cruz IS everything you THINK Donald Trump might be!

:wtf!:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 03:02:43 pm »
Bigun, every candidate believes he or she stands on Principle.  The issue is whether those so-called principles will prevent him from being an effective president, not just of a certain wing of his party, but for the Country and its various cultural and political "principles".  He's made a campaign of non-negotiation.  What, as president would he accomplish if he eschews negotiation and compromise?  We've had that "my way or the highway" for over seven years now.  How will he solve the immigration problem; what will he do to get the Democrats to go along with his tax cut plans?  How will he balance the budget and cut back on the debt without the support of Congress?  His experience with "Principle" in the past has turned his own caucus against him.

Aside from all that, he does give decent speeches... :smokin:

You are entitled to your opinions. I do not share them!

I am firmly convinced that if Ted Cruz wins the nomination the American people will get four square behind him and he will be unstoppable when he assumes office.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:05:14 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 03:06:09 pm »
:wtf!:

The fact that YOU don't understand what I said does not surprise me in the least.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 03:08:18 pm »
In the case of the shutdown, I'm with you, it was a bridge well burned.
It makes me uneasy that Cruz is so disliked by the very people he has to work with. Don't get me wrong, I'd vote anybody but Hillary, I just am skeptical about what Cruz can actually accomplish.
It is unfortunate that Cruz hasn't better developed alliances among Senate Republicans, though it may more be a reflection of the lack of real conservatives there (and I define that pretty much as has RiV, above) than of a flaw on his part.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 03:12:57 pm »
It is unfortunate that Cruz hasn't better developed alliances among Senate Republicans, though it may more be a reflection of the lack of real conservatives there (and I define that pretty much as has RiV, above) than of a flaw on his part.  :shrug:

Possible. For me, it's only remote observation and speculation. I just have concerns about Cruz's ability to accomplish anything. However, an impotent president Cruz is light years better than an empowered president Clinton.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 03:14:34 pm »
Bottom line, we cannot endure another Democrat. The U.S. Supreme Court and a whole lot of federal district and circuit courts are at stake.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 03:24:02 pm »
Bottom line, we cannot endure another Democrat. The U.S. Supreme Court and a whole lot of federal district and circuit courts are at stake.

And that's a huge problem. The situation as it currently stands is bleak. Most of us know Trump won't be the nominee, it just won't happen. The push by some in the conservative media to ostracize Trump supporters won't help anything.

Ted Cruz is talented, and capable, but lacks charisma. I think SNL would do a number on Cruz to the LIVs. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see moderates voting for Cruz.

That leaves Kasich. Kasich is sort of an oddball, and totally unacceptable to many here. It's my opinion, for what that's worth, that Kasich is our best shot. Kasich is a pragmatist, not a conservative. And he's done a decent job in Ohio. I'd vote for him.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 03:25:54 pm »

That is EXACTLY how I access it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 03:40:19 pm »
Does it matter?  The issue is that it's a problem, one that may very well cripple Cruz's ability to gain the Presidency.   

I'll support the man, I'll advocate for him, but I don't think he has the ability to win - he's too insular, ideological and stubborn.  Call that principle if you like, but principle and six bits gets you a cup of coffee.   

Meanwhile,  I note that Kasich keeps trouncing Hillary in poll after poll.  We DO have a way to avoid this fall's coming disaster.

I want someone who is stubborn enough to stand by his conservative principles ... that's the point and the reason that we keep losing -- changing our conservative principles to appease the liberals...that's exactly what happened in the election with McCain and Romney.  What part of losing elections because we keep putting in moderate liberals don't you comprehend?  Think back to the mid-terms; obviously liberalism was rejected. The only way to avoid another disaster is to elect a conservative; not a liberal like Kasich or Trump.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:41:39 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 03:42:57 pm »
You are entitled to your opinions. I do not share them!

I am firmly convinced that if Ted Cruz wins the nomination the American people will get four square behind him and he will be unstoppable when he assumes office.

All I asked you was how he was going to do all these things without the desire or ability to negotiate and compromise with Congress.  Every candidate here thinks if elected, the American people will be completely behind him...or her.  I'm curious, with the social, economic and political divides in this Country, how anyone can believe that.  If I were as attached to the Senator as some here are, I would be going out of my way to show the path that would make him unstoppable once in office.  The RCP average for him is -21 in favorable/unfavorable polls, not that much better than Trump.  How does he turn this all around?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 03:46:55 pm »
All I asked you was how he was going to do all these things without the desire or ability to negotiate and compromise with Congress.  Every candidate here thinks if elected, the American people will be completely behind him...or her.  I'm curious, with the social, economic and political divides in this Country, how anyone can believe that.  If I were as attached to the Senator as some here are, I would be going out of my way to show the path that would make him unstoppable once in office.  The RCP average for him is -21 in favorable/unfavorable polls, not that much better than Trump.  How does he turn this all around?

By continuing to stand on principle and clearly articulating his message.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 03:52:25 pm »
And that's a huge problem. The situation as it currently stands is bleak. Most of us know Trump won't be the nominee, it just won't happen. The push by some in the conservative media to ostracize Trump supporters won't help anything.

Ted Cruz is talented, and capable, but lacks charisma. I think SNL would do a number on Cruz to the LIVs. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see moderates voting for Cruz.

That leaves Kasich. Kasich is sort of an oddball, and totally unacceptable to many here. It's my opinion, for what that's worth, that Kasich is our best shot. Kasich is a pragmatist, not a conservative. And he's done a decent job in Ohio. I'd vote for him.

I agree with most of what you said, the only difference being I would argue that conservatism and pragmatism aren't necessarily antithetical terms.  Reagan was a conservative in many respects, and is held out as such today, but achieved his goals as much through pragmatic give and take as anyone. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:55 pm »
I agree with most of what you said, the only difference being I would argue that conservatism and pragmatism aren't necessarily antithetical terms.  Reagan was a conservative in many respects, and is held out as such today, but achieved his goals as much through pragmatic give and take as anyone.

Point taken. It's my opinion that Kasich is more of a pragmatist than a conservative. But, as I said, I'd vote for him.

I wonder, with the "advice" from liberal sites about the electability of Kasich, are they pleading as much as they are advising? Hillary has big negatives, not just with Republicans, with everyone. Is it possible that Democrats want the GOP to run someone that they could, in good conscience, cross over and vote for?

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 04:05:32 pm »
By continuing to stand on principle and clearly articulating his message.

Well a lot of people are taken with the Trump daily message of "Make America Great Again", but I'm having a lot of trouble getting past that. 

And with Cruz I'm still trying to understand how he plans to accomplish these things, most of which is going to require a lot of something he seems to lack, an ability to sell his ideas to a divided and reluctant Congress.  Most Americans just won't buy this whole "trust me, I'm standing on principle" meme.  If I were as invested in him as some are, I'd be posting a lot more substance to help him rather than "You have your opinion; I have mine".   :pondering:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 04:06:51 pm »
Everyone Who Has Ever Worked With Ted Cruz Despises Him

http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/31430/everyone-who-has-ever-worked-with-ted-cruz-despises-him

Cruz is the best of two horrible choices for the GOP.

Sink, I hope you're not letting this unattributed bit of gossip affect your opinion.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 04:08:27 pm »
Well a lot of people are taken with the Trump daily message of "Make America Great Again", but I'm having a lot of trouble getting past that. 

And with Cruz I'm still trying to understand how he plans to accomplish these things, most of which is going to require a lot of something he seems to lack, an ability to sell his ideas to a divided and reluctant Congress.  Most Americans just won't buy this whole "trust me, I'm standing on principle" meme.  If I were as invested in him as some are, I'd be posting a lot more substance to help him rather than "You have your opinion; I have mine".   :pondering:

Were you around when Ronald Reagan routinely went over the heads of Congress directly to the American people on issues?  Do you not think that can be done again?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2016, 04:10:04 pm »

Cruz has the advantage, per his father, to be anoinTED.

The principle for today, is to disrespect Italian-Americans, re; Cosa Notra remarks. (It worked so well for NY and Ted is a genius)

Cruz staff is looking into a strategy to disrespect California Values.  A bit of material, for WHY Ted might have negatives similar to Trump.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2016, 04:14:55 pm »
Point taken. It's my opinion that Kasich is more of a pragmatist than a conservative. But, as I said, I'd vote for him.

I wonder, with the "advice" from liberal sites about the electability of Kasich, are they pleading as much as they are advising? Hillary has big negatives, not just with Republicans, with everyone. Is it possible that Democrats want the GOP to run someone that they could, in good conscience, cross over and vote for?

I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.  I have a very good friend, a solid Democrat in every way.  I don't think he's ever voted for a Republican in any race.  Yet he said, if Kasich were the nominee he'd vote for him.  His belief is that Kasich is the only candidate left who would at least try to honestly address the divides that exist in the Country.  That would mean I'd not like every position he takes.  But I also don't want to see our elected leadership continue to broaden the divides that are tearing this Nation apart.  Some are actually campaigning on it on the basis of "principle".

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »
Were you around when Ronald Reagan routinely went over the heads of Congress directly to the American people on issues?  Do you not think that can be done again?

I was around at that time.  In the military, my first CIC was Eisenhower.  Anyway, Reagan used the bully pulpit well.  He had the personality and reasonable plans.  But he also worked not around Congress but with Congress.  He was able to get along with members of both parties enough to get much more accomplished than might be expected.  Yet he had to give up on his fiscal conservative principles to get some things done he felt were more important.  When I think of Ted Cruz, I have difficulty believing he could work with everyone as Reagan did.  Buts that's JMHO. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2016, 04:26:35 pm »
I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.  I have a very good friend, a solid Democrat in every way.  I don't think he's ever voted for a Republican in any race.  Yet he said, if Kasich were the nominee he'd vote for him.  His belief is that Kasich is the only candidate left who would at least try to honestly address the divides that exist in the Country.  That would mean I'd not like every position he takes.  But I also don't want to see our elected leadership continue to broaden the divides that are tearing this Nation apart.  Some are actually campaigning on it on the basis of "principle".

I'm in Ohio, so the bias here is that Kasich would be the best of what's left. I'm more libertarian than conservative, so Kasich suits me just fine. I could live with a "true conservative", whatever that is, but my preference is for someone to unify, and solve problems. Yeah, Kasich is a politician. He loves himself a bit too much for my liking. His Lehman Bros. time is problematic. He will go a little too far left on occasion.

What is the old saying, something about doing a good job if you irritate everyone?

I think Kasich can win, and I think in this contested convention he has a real shot. Notice that Speaker Ryan said the nominee should come from the pool of people who are left running.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2016, 04:38:09 pm »
Sink, I hope you're not letting this unattributed bit of gossip affect your opinion.

While anecdotal, there's enough evidence out there that Cruz is simply not liked by most of the people he worked, and works, with.  I've never liked his breathless evangelical-preacher speaking style; it makes me cringe every time I hear him.  And his "carpet bomb" remarks are much like Trump's "we'll deport 'em all" nonsense.

I'll vote for Cruz, but won't be happy about it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2016, 04:40:33 pm »

No, not by Ted Cruz.  If Cruz were to win the election, it would be by the slimmest of margins, so he wouldn't have a mandate to do anything. Congress will continue to be seriously divided and Cruz is part of the reason for that division.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:10 pm »
No, not by Ted Cruz.  If Cruz were to win the election, it would be by the slimmest of margins, so he wouldn't have a mandate to do anything. Congress will continue to be seriously divided and Cruz is part of the reason for that division.

Once again you forgot to ad the IMHO acronym to your post!

I vehemently disagree with your assessment.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bill Cipher

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:20 pm »
Ted Cruz definitely has his flaws, and his inability to play nice with the others in Congress is one of those.  There is no avoiding the fact that Cruz is not the most likeable person.  Unfortunately the choice for GOP nominee appears to be the choice of the lesser of two evils.  On that score, Cruz is definitely the lesser of the two available evils.  Trump has extremely high negatives, especially among people who will vote in the general election.  Trump also has outrageously stupid policy ideas, most of which simply cannot be implemented.  Trump also has a very distinct record of supporting liberal causes and policies in his past, including his recent past.  Trump is also displaying mistakes bordering on incompetence when it comes to running a successful campaign; that definitely does not bode well for his ability to run the executive branch.  Finally, Trump is even further out of the graces of the rank and file republicans in Congress than is Cruz, meaning that doubts about Cruz' ability to get things done are dwarfed by doubts about Trump's ability to get anything done. 

Cruz has flaws.  Trump has more and greater flaws.  Since the choice is for the better, not the best, Cruz is the better choice. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2016, 04:45:03 pm »
Bigun, every candidate believes he or she stands on Principle.  The issue is whether those so-called principles will prevent him from being an effective president, not just of a certain wing of his party, but for the Country and its various cultural and political "principles".  He's made a campaign of non-negotiation.  What, as president would he accomplish if he eschews negotiation and compromise?  We've had that "my way or the highway" for over seven years now.  How will he solve the immigration problem; what will he do to get the Democrats to go along with his tax cut plans?  How will he balance the budget and cut back on the debt without the support of Congress?  His experience with "Principle" in the past has turned his own caucus against him.

Aside from all that, he does give decent speeches... :smokin:

Wise words,  very well said!

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:46:55 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide