Author Topic: The Voice of Principled, Thinking Conservatism Needs Your Support  (Read 3042 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/433977/print

The Voice of Principled, Thinking Conservatism Needs Your Support
By Kevin D. Williamson — April 13, 2016

We’ve been here before, of course. In 1962, Bill Buckley was called to a meeting in (note the locale) Palm Beach, Fla., with Russell Kirk, the great conservative philosopher, William Baroody, head of the American Enterprise Institute, and Senator Barry Goldwater, whom conservatives very much wanted to run for president. The subject was the John Birch Society, Robert Welch’s influential group of conservative businessmen that had, among other things, denounced Dwight Eisenhower as a Soviet agent.

The John Birch Society had a great deal going for it: numbers, energy, money — lots of money. Senator Goldwater worried that “every other person in Phoenix is a member of the John Birch Society. I’m not talking about Commie-haunted apple pickers or cactus drunks, I’m talking about the highest caste of men of affairs,” as Bill Buckley quoted him saying. (Let us here lament that this nation denied itself the presidential services of a man who not only was a great conservative but who also was capable of uttering the words “Commie-haunted apple pickers or cactus drunks.”) Senator Goldwater asked if any of the men present were familiar with Frank Cullen Brophy, a prominent Arizona banker and John Birch Society member. Buckley knew him well: He’d been an early supporter of National Review, who had spoken with Buckley at some length about providing a portion of the capital that launched the magazine.

The problem with the John Birch Society was fairly straightforward: It was dedicated to premises that were insane, and served as the vanity project of a very successful businessman who also happened to be a megalomaniac and a kook.

Robert Welch did not run for the Republican presidential nomination. Donald Trump is.

WFB’s eventual excommunication of the John Birch Society is very much applicable in the Trump era, needing only a change in proper nouns: “How can the John Birch Society be an effective political instrument while it is led by a man whose views on current affairs are, at so many critical points, so far removed from common sense? That dilemma weighs on conservatives across America. The underlying problem is whether conservatives can continue to acquiesce quietly in a rendition of the causes of the decline of the Republic and the entire Western world which is false, and, besides that, crucially different in practical emphasis from their own.”

Sometime between the founding of this magazine in 1955 and now, conservatism-as-movement was joined by conservatism-as-market, and that is, in the main, a fact in which we should rejoice, and it is satisfying to watch liberal New York City publishing executives consider how large a portion of their current revenues are accounted for by such authors as Mark Levin and Michelle Malkin. But as the Trump phenomenon has made painfully clear, this also has attracted a great many unprincipled, unthinking, and unserious voices — call them the con-trepreneurs — who in their desperation for profit and influence will, like the worst sort of politician, get out in front of any parade that looks sufficiently large, loud, and exploitable. It is in no small part thanks to them that the Republican party and, to a lesser extent, the conservative movement must now contend with a demagogue who rejects conservatism root and branch, from private property to the sanctity of marriage. Robert Welch spoke a great deal about “the Establishment,” too, when he wasn’t accusing the man who organized the Normandy invasion of being “a conscious, dedicated agent of the Communist conspiracy.”

In the end Frank Cullen Brophy, the Bircher-banker, decided not to put his money behind National Review. And that is no surprise: While this magazine enjoys the support of a great many generous patrons, there is no Frank Cullen Brophy behind the scenes, never has been, and, very likely, never will be: A magazine that insists on principled, thinking conservatism, and on its independence, is never going to be of much use or much interest to a billionaire dilettante. And, while there are a great many ways to make a load of money in publishing, thoughtful, principled, sober conservatism, necessarily skeptical about emotive popular enthusiasms, isn’t one of them.

I was a National Review reader and supporter for 20 years before I came to work for the magazine, but I have been part of National Review since before I was old enough to vote. That is because National Review wasn’t Bill Buckley, great and beloved as he was, and it isn’t Rich Lowry (peace be upon him!) or Jack Fowler or Rick or Jonah or Ramesh or any of the rest of us who have the great honor of having our names in the NR masthead. Rather, National Review is thousands of people: writers and editors and staffers, to be sure, but also readers, subscribers, supporters, and friends. We are as much a movement as we are a magazine. And the thing about friends of National Review is, they really are friends.

I have written in the past about the amazing and admirable thrift with which this enterprise is run, thanks to the flinty Jack Fowler, and the priceless freedom that I and other writers here enjoy to do our very best to write about what really matters and why. We aren’t just in New York and Washington: We are in California’s water-starved interior and Alabama’s heroin rehabs, Afghanistan, les banlieues. And this kind of journalism costs a great deal of money, even on the cheap. We do not have a great many billionaire buddies, but we do have thousands and thousands of friends and supporters, many of whom have been good and faithful allies and co-workers for decades. They often visit us in New York, and they usually say the same thing: “What a dump.” But we aren’t using the money for mahogany paneling and Aeron chairs. We are using it to defend what matters most.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: The Voice of Principled, Thinking Conservatism Needs Your Support
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 01:48:56 pm »
I was first exposed to NR in high school, far many more years ago than I care to admit, and subscribed for a long while.   I just re-subscribed again after NR's "Against Trump" issue,  to show in a tangible way my support for this great magazine and the writers who fearlessly challenge the liberal hegemony (and its latest stalking horse,  Mr. Trump).   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:49:20 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:58:02 pm »
It almost seems as if Donald Trump is seen as the problem. Make Trump disappear, problem solved. Donald Trump is the symptom. If we are lucky, there will be others following in Trump's footsteps, who aren't batsh!t crazy. What I mean is, others who speak plainly, who dismiss political correctness, and who are willing to upset the status quo.

In the meantime, when I find a voice of thinking conservatism, I'll support it. The landscape is a bit barren in that regard.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 02:02:02 pm »
It almost seems as if Donald Trump is seen as the problem. Make Trump disappear, problem solved. Donald Trump is the symptom. If we are lucky, there will be others following in Trump's footsteps, who aren't batsh!t crazy. What I mean is, others who speak plainly, who dismiss political correctness, and who are willing to upset the status quo.

In the meantime, when I find a voice of thinking conservatism, I'll support it. The landscape is a bit barren in that regard.

I agree with most everything you said there except for the barren landscape part.  Ted Cruz is an excellent voice for thinking conservatism IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 02:07:25 pm »
I agree with most everything you said there except for the barren landscape part.  Ted Cruz is an excellent voice for thinking conservatism IMHO!

I'm trying to understand, not start a flame war, Bigun:  How are you defining "thinking conservatism"?  I really would like to know.

Thanks.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:12:21 pm »
I'm trying to understand, not start a flame war, Bigun:  How are you defining "thinking conservatism"?  I really would like to know.

Thanks.

For me it means working within the system to begin the process of returning the fed. gov to what it was designed to be by our founders!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 02:16:42 pm »
How would YOU define the term, RIV?   

For me, while I know the drill concerning conservative/libertarian ideology, and subscribe to much of it,  what I look for in a conservative/libertarian LEADER is pragmatism and a willingness to do the hard work needed to effect conservative change.  That requires,  in the real world,  a willingness to not burn bridges and to work with others toward common goals.  That's Ted Cruz's big weakness - he gives a good speech, and can thrash his opponents in debate, but shows precious little ability or willingness (I'm not sure which it is) to LEAD.   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:17:44 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 02:19:37 pm »

I would vote for Cruz. Unfortunately, Cruz has shown himself to be a politician, with all that is meant by that. Cruz is bright, and I agree with him more than I disagree.

While I would vote for Cruz, I don't think he has the charisma required by today's American voters. I hope I'm wrong.

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 02:22:57 pm »

For me, while I know the drill concerning conservative/libertarian ideology, and subscribe to much of it,  what I look for in a conservative/libertarian LEADER is pragmatism and a willingness to do the hard work needed to effect conservative change.  That requires,  in the real world,  a willingness to not burn bridges and to work with others toward common goals.  That's Ted Cruz's big weakness - he gives a good speech, and can thrash his opponents in debate, but shows precious little ability or willingness (I'm not sure which it is) to LEAD.

And he's burnt more than a few bridges.
I've heard, 3rd hand, that Sen. Cruz isn't a very pleasant person. You may say that's trivial. I say, it's important to be able to charm your opponents, when needed. I don't take it as a fact that Sen. Cruz is unpleasant, but I do watch that aspect.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 02:28:35 pm »
I've heard, 3rd hand, that Sen. Cruz isn't a very pleasant person. You may say that's trivial. I say, it's important to be able to charm your opponents, when needed. I don't take it as a fact that Sen. Cruz is unpleasant, but I do watch that aspect.

If he has "burnt bridges" by standing on PRINCIPLE is that really a problem for Ted Cruz or for those he stood against?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:29:31 pm »

Yes, Trump is the result of a very angry electorate and has managed to capitalize on that anger by telling them what they want to hear.  I don't believe anything that Trump states regarding the issues as genuine as his statements and actions speak very differently and very liberally.

As for the voice of conservatism, I can't think of anyone who loves and honors our Constitution, has steadfast conservative principles and has stood for conservatism and we the people time and time again than Ted Cruz.

This election is about restoring America and the very principles upon which it was founded. We are faced with Supreme court appointments that we cannot allow the selections to be determined by a liberal.  I've stated many times and I stand by my statement; either we can elect someone who will restore America or we can elect someone who will continue us on our current path of destruction.

Ted Cruz 2016.  Reigniting the Promise of America!!!    :patriot:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 02:37:33 pm »
If he has "burnt bridges" by standing on PRINCIPLE is that really a problem for Ted Cruz or for those he stood against?

I know Cruz has memorized the Constitution and all of Ronald Reagan's speeches, but what, exactly, has Ted Cruz stood against? Or more to the point:  What, exactly, is his tangible track record?

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 02:39:16 pm »

My only reply to you is; I would rather elect someone who has burnt a few bridges with his colleagues in Congress and who stands with the people then someone who buddies up with his colleagues and disregards the people.  IMHO, it isn't Cruz's goal to appease those in Congress, it is his desire and goal to listen to the voices of the people. Cruz has stood with "We the People" time and time again and has stood up to those in Washington.

I will never forget, my reaction when I watched Cruz address Congress and he called out Mitch McConnel for the liar that he is  and publicly conveyed the corruption that is going on in the Senate ... I cried.  I cried because finally someone had the courage and the strength to stand up for the people!  I cried because I for once finally saw a glimmer of hope that the country I love can still be saved.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:59:02 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 02:40:44 pm »

This admission was pretty telling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlQsCsj3mEo

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 02:42:34 pm »

Does it matter?  The issue is that it's a problem, one that may very well cripple Cruz's ability to gain the Presidency.   

I'll support the man, I'll advocate for him, but I don't think he has the ability to win - he's too insular, ideological and stubborn.  Call that principle if you like, but principle and six bits gets you a cup of coffee.   

Meanwhile,  I note that Kasich keeps trouncing Hillary in poll after poll.  We DO have a way to avoid this fall's coming disaster. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »

“Why do people take such an instant dislike to Ted Cruz? It just saves time.”
Even now, his former boss George W. Bush can sum up his feelings for Cruz in a single sentence: “I just don’t like the guy.”

Everyone Who Has Ever Worked With Ted Cruz Despises Him

http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/31430/everyone-who-has-ever-worked-with-ted-cruz-despises-him

Cruz is the best of two horrible choices for the GOP.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 02:47:24 pm »
I know Cruz has memorized the Constitution and all of Ronald Reagan's speeches, but what, exactly, has Ted Cruz stood against? Or more to the point:  What, exactly, is his tangible track record?

For starters:

Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 - May 2008, Cruz was the first Hispanic Solicitor General in Texas, the youngest Solicitor General in the entire country, and had the longest tenure in Texas history.

Partner at the law firm Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, where he led the firm’s U.S. Supreme Court and national appellate litigation practice.

Cruz has authored 80+ SCOTUS briefs and presented 40+ oral arguments before The Court

Cruz served as a law clerk to Chief Justice William Rehnquist. Cruz was the first Hispanic ever to clerk for a Chief Justice of the United States. Described as a 'superb' constitutional lawyer, the man's considerable skills and laser-like focus were on display for all last week when he took oily reptile Eric Holder by the neck and made him answer the frickin question.

In the landmark case of District of Columbia v. Heller, Cruz assembled a coalition of 31 states in defense of the principle that the 2nd Amendment guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms.

Cruz presented oral argument for the amici states in the companion case to Heller before the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

In addition to his victory in Heller, Cruz has successfully defended the Ten Commandments monument on the Texas State Capitol grounds, the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools and the majority of the 2003 Texas redistricting plan. Cruz also successfully defended, in Medellin v. Texas, the State of Texas against an attempt by the International Court of Justice to re-open the criminal convictions of 51 murderers on death row throughout the United States.

Director of the Office of Policy Planning at the Federal Trade Commission

Domestic Policy Advisor to U.S. President George W. Bush on the 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign.

Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, where he taught U.S. Supreme Court litigation

Ted Cruz is currently junior US Senator from Texas. In order to win the 2012 Republican nomination for the Senate seat vacated by Kay Bailey Hutchison, Cruz had to defeat Texas Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst -heavily favored/backed by the DC old-guard GOP- in the Republican primary runoff. In the event, TEA Party favorite Cruz crushed Dewhurst, 57-43%...
he then beat Democrat Paul Sadler in the general election by a similar margin, 56-41. Cruz is also endorsed by the Tea Party Movement and the Republican Liberty Caucus.

AWARDS: "America's Leading Lawyers for Business," Chambers USA (2009 & 2010) "50 Most Influential Minority Lawyers in America," National Law Journal (2008) "25 Greatest Texas Lawyers of the Past Quarter Century," Texas Lawyer (2010) "20 Young Hispanic Americans on the Rise," Newsweek (1999) Traphagen Distinguished Alumnus, Harvard Law School

On November 14, 2012, Cruz was appointed vice-chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee. He is now spearheading efforts in the Senate to have Obamacare repealed root-and-branch...

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 02:49:31 pm »

In the case of the shutdown, I'm with you, it was a bridge well burned.
It makes me uneasy that Cruz is so disliked by the very people he has to work with. Don't get me wrong, I'd vote anybody but Hillary, I just am skeptical about what Cruz can actually accomplish.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 02:49:36 pm »
This admission was pretty telling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlQsCsj3mEo

Indeed it is!  It tells me that Ted Cruz IS everything you THINK Donald Trump might be!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 02:53:02 pm »
In the case of the shutdown, I'm with you, it was a bridge well burned.
It makes me uneasy that Cruz is so disliked by the very people he has to work with. Don't get me wrong, I'd vote anybody but Hillary, I just am skeptical about what Cruz can actually accomplish.

Those people you worry about not liking Ted Cruz don't REALLY dislike Ted Cruz! What they REALLY dislike is the fact that they KNOW he will do what he says he will do and tear up that whores nest inside the beltway.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 02:57:04 pm »
Those people you worry about not liking Ted Cruz don't REALLY dislike Ted Cruz! What they REALLY dislike is the fact that they KNOW he will do what he says he will do and tear up that whores nest inside the beltway.

Naw. The GOP is unable to stop the renegade that is Barack Obama. However, the GOP would find a spine and new vigor in it's opposition to a president Cruz.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 02:58:33 pm »

Bigun, every candidate believes he or she stands on Principle.  The issue is whether those so-called principles will prevent him from being an effective president, not just of a certain wing of his party, but for the Country and its various cultural and political "principles".  He's made a campaign of non-negotiation.  What, as president would he accomplish if he eschews negotiation and compromise?  We've had that "my way or the highway" for over seven years now.  How will he solve the immigration problem; what will he do to get the Democrats to go along with his tax cut plans?  How will he balance the budget and cut back on the debt without the support of Congress?  His experience with "Principle" in the past has turned his own caucus against him.

Aside from all that, he does give decent speeches... :smokin:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 02:58:47 pm »
Bigun, you definitely woke up on the RIGHT side of the bed this morning.

I slept very well last night.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 02:59:55 pm »

Hi, Jazz---   

I am of the opinion that conservatism represents a reverence of the US Constitution,  a barrier against an overbearing central government, a respect for financial success demonstrated through low tax and pro-business policies, a strong military with an emphasis on wise and useful deployment of force, and a celebration of the power of the individual.

I am also of the opinion that conservatism is unabashedly pro-America; the political philosophy proud to claim the title: "America-firster".

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 03:01:49 pm »
  That requires,  in the real world,  a willingness to not burn bridges and to work with others toward common goals. 

What common goals did Kasich achieve in Congress?  How about as governor of Ohio, where he actively campaigned to attract Democrat voters to beat a very flawed outsider in Trump?

Is leadership siding with Democrats in your world?
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?