Author Topic: Can GOP Elites Really Turn Back the Clock in Cleveland?  (Read 446 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Can GOP Elites Really Turn Back the Clock in Cleveland?
« on: April 11, 2016, 02:07:45 pm »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/04/gop-2016-paul-ryan-cleveland-213803

Can GOP Elites Really Turn Back the Clock in Cleveland?

Sure, they can pick Paul Ryan if they dare. But it isn't 1920; how are they going to convince voters to pull the lever for him?

By Jeff Greenfield

April 10, 2016

There was a telling exchange on CNBC’s Squawk Box last month that provided the single best bit of insight into the central conflict that will likely embroil the Republicans when they gather in Cleveland in July. Co-anchor Becky Quick suggested to Republican National Committeeman Curly Haugland that there would be deep anger if the leading vote-and-delegate winner—likely to be Donald Trump--were somehow denied the nomination after failing to get the necessary 1,237 delegates on the first ballot.

Haugland calmly responded: “The media has created the perception that the voters choose the nomination. That's the conflict here." But what about the democratic process? Quick asked. Replied Haugland: “Political parties choose their nominees, not the voters.”

True, it used to be that way. But the problem that the GOP establishment faces is that hasn’t been that way since four decades ago, when the modern era of primaries and caucuses really began and voters took the initiative away from the denizens of the smoke-filled room. And now Republican elders who are desperately trying to derail Trump are openly contemplating going back to the old ways, handing the nomination to someone who never spent a day on the campaign trail, never tried to persuade single voter, and was simply delivered the nomination by an arena full of anonymous delegates. Somehow, the establishment thinks, it can instruct all those millions of Republican voters who came out for Trump and Cruz and Kasich to fall in line behind, say, Speaker Paul Ryan.

This is the nostrum being proposed to save the Republican Party. The greater likelihood is that it will blow the party up, triggering everything from brawls over rules and credentials, to post-convention efforts to launch a third party or write in campaign, to guerrilla wars at the state and local level, with primaries and party purges threatening anyone who embraced the “party will decide!” philosophy.

Why the likelihood of such fury? Because the underlying question the Republicans will face in Cleveland is whether one can really turn back the clock. Now that ordinary Republican voters, like Democrats, have experienced decades of real democracy, what will their reaction be if it’s taken away from them? The polls tell us that Republican voters want no part of such a process. Even in Wisconsin, where GOP voters decisively rejected Trump, exit polls indicated that most Republicans want the nominee to be the one with the plurality of votes.

And that feeling is not confined to Wisconsin. A Bloomberg Politics poll in late March found that 63 percent of Republicans polled want the candidate with the most delegates by the time of the convention to win the nomination. Only 33 percent said the delegates should pick the nominee regardless of the count at convention time. And a pro-Trump PAC is running ads on FOX News urging viewers to register that sentiment with their phone calls.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/04/gop-2016-paul-ryan-cleveland-213803#ixzz45WelQnlb

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Bill Cipher

Re: Can GOP Elites Really Turn Back the Clock in Cleveland?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 02:12:25 pm »
Better question is how they're going to convince voters to pull the lever for Trump.  That would make the effort to get them to vote for Ryan look like child's play by comparison. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:13:37 pm »
Better question is how they're going to convince voters to pull the lever for Trump.  That would make the effort to get them to vote for Ryan look like child's play by comparison.

:thumbsup2:

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:28:21 pm »

Exactly. When half of a party's members not only disapprove of, but despise a potential nominee, that's an insurmountable obstacle. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:31:02 pm »
No doubt winning in November with a compromise candidate will be a challenge, because the hard feelings generated by this primary season will be difficult to overcome.   But nominating Trump is a sure-bet disaster, not only for Republicans' chances for the Presidency but for Congress as well.  And Cruz is hardly a well-loved figure outside his particular echo-chamber of supporters.

The GOP will need a compromise candidate if it wants any chance of winning.   If that's not what it wants,  then let's bend down, grab our ankles, and repeat the mantra "Thank you, ma'am, may I have another".   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:35:56 pm »
Exactly. When half of a party's members not only disapprove of, but despise a potential nominee, that's an insurmountable obstacle.

With Trump that line between despise/disdain and hate is very very thin.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:38:55 pm »
With Trump that line between despise/disdain and hate is very very thin.

For me it's contempt. I have no respect for a loud crybully, with zero knowledge of nearly anything not having to do with Trump. I don't even like the guy.

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 07:50:36 pm »
I view Trump as a greater danger to America than even a Democrat.

And I've never thought that of any Republican candidate for the 30+ years I could vote.

He's on par with the CPUSA candidate (when they bother to run one)... or the skinhead/neo-Nazi/Klan candidate.

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 02:33:57 am »

And I've never thought that of any Republican candidate for the 30+ years I could vote.

He's on par with the CPUSA candidate (when they bother to run one)... or the skinhead/neo-Nazi/Klan candidate.

I'm with you right up to the "on a par with" part. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:14:04 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 02:10:20 pm »

:thumbsup2:
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide