Author Topic: Trump’s Convention Strategy: “The Fix Is In”  (Read 1760 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump’s Convention Strategy: “The Fix Is In”
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:19:54 pm »
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/trumps-convention-strategy-the-fix-is-in

April 8, 2016
Trump’s Convention Strategy: “The Fix Is In”
By Evan Osnos

More than three months before any ballots have been cast at the Republican convention, Roger Stone, Donald Trump’s on-again, off-again consigliere, has delivered the campaign equivalent of a severed horse head to delegates who might consider denying Trump the nomination. Trump’s supporters will find you in your sleep, he merrily informed them this week. He did not mean it metaphorically.

“We will disclose the hotels and the room numbers of those delegates who are directly involved in the steal,” Stone said Monday, on Freedomain Radio. “If you’re from Pennsylvania, we’ll tell you who the culprits are. We urge you to visit their hotel and find them. You have a right to discuss this, if you voted in the Pennsylvania primary, for example, and your votes are being disallowed,” Stone said.

Over the years, I’ve covered elections in Iraq, Iran, and Burma. Stone’s taunt is every bit as threatening as anything I heard in those places, which have far less experience than America with democracy. Such is the moment we currently inhabit.

By now, we know most of the chapters in Trump’s political playbook: the epithets for “low-energy” Jeb and Lyin’ Ted and Little Marco, and the bombshell provocations—about, say, a nuclear strike in Europe—as a way to draw attention away from unfavorable news and missteps. And, throughout, of course, the mockery of women. But as we approach the growing prospect of a contested convention, in which delegates can make game-time choices about whom they will support, it’s becoming clearer that Trump may seek to shape the outcome by using his most unwieldy weapon of all: the latent power of usually peaceful people.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Trump’s Convention Strategy: “The Fix Is In”
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:22:51 pm »
“We will disclose the hotels and the room numbers of those delegates who are directly involved in the steal,” Stone said Monday, on Freedomain Radio. “If you’re from Pennsylvania, we’ll tell you who the culprits are. We urge you to visit their hotel and find them. You have a right to discuss this, if you voted in the Pennsylvania primary, for example, and your votes are being disallowed,” Stone said.

Then the Sturmabteilung can act on that information.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:26:13 pm »
Trump needs to issue armbands so that those who have sworn loyalty oaths can be easily identified. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:28:46 pm »

Maybe the solution to Trump supporters constant complaints about the Fascist label being attached to their candidate, would be for their candidate to stop behaving like one.   
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 02:28:55 pm »
Trump needs to issue armbands so that those who have sworn loyalty oaths can be easily identified.

What's really good is if they wear coordinating colors so they stand out in a crowd and look like a movement to the cameras. At a convention, you'll see a lot of red, white, and blue shirts so those colors won't stand out. Maybe brown. That will stand out in a sea of red, white, and blue.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 02:38:33 pm »
This is a moronic statement, made from the depths of pure hate.

Just because you lack the requisite brainpower to process that statement, does not make it moronic. On the contrary, it is quite prescient, IMO.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 02:52:21 pm »
And therein lies the key to Trump’s ability to introduce menace into the convention: he does not need to call upon his supporters to do anything but protect their newfound sense of identity and purpose. Stone, the political operative and self-described practitioner of “dirty tricks”—a man who (again, no metaphor) has a tattoo of Nixon on his back—has mapped out the fantasy that they will offer to their people, to explain what happens if Trump falls short of the twelve hundred and thirty-seven delegates he needs to secure the nomination. “Either Trump will have twelve hundred and thirty-seven votes, in which case the party will try to throw out some of those delegates in a naked attempt to try to steal this from Donald Trump, or he will be just short of twelve hundred and thirty-seven, in which case many of his own delegates, or, I should say, people in his delegate seats, will abandon him on the second ballot,” Stone said Monday. The convention, he has already told Trump voters, is rigged against them.

“So the fix is in,” Stone said on Monday. “If Trump does not run the table on the rest of the primaries and the caucuses, we’re looking at a very, very narrow path in which the kingmakers go all out to cheat, to steal, and to snatch this nomination from the candidate who was overwhelmingly selected by the voters, which is why I have urged Trump supporters: come to Cleveland, march on Cleveland, join us in the Forest City.”

I can think of nothing that will cement in the minds of voters that Trump and his supporters are inclined to mob tactics than intimidating delegates at the Convention. 

"Either your vote or your brains will be on that second ballot."

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 03:01:39 pm »
This is a moronic statement, made from the depths of pure hate.

I call fecal bovine excrement on your hypocritical sorry ass.

You demand and Mod your own Trump Safe Space where you have the ability to pull posts at will, then come on other threads and label people morons without them being able to pull YOUR post?

Trump's a Fascist and his supporters and some weird combination of whiny cry babies and Brown Shirts.

I declare this thread a "Trump is a Fascist Core Group" thread. We demand equal nights under Fora Laws 

Stay off of it if you don't agree with the posts.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 03:35:54 pm »

You demand and Mod your own Trump Safe Space where you have the ability to pull posts at will, then come on other threads and label people morons without them being able to pull YOUR post?

Trump's a Fascist and his supporters and some weird combination of whiny cry babies and Brown Shirts.

I declare this thread a "Trump is a Fascist Core Group" thread. We demand equal nights under Fora Laws 

Amen..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 03:43:24 pm »

Right back at ya. 

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 03:44:11 pm »

Nope.  This is an open forum.  Deal with it.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 04:01:21 pm »
Enough!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 04:02:31 pm »
Trump is playing a very dangerous game.

He is laying the groundwork for open revolt should anyone but he be chosen as the GOP nominee. Given that the man has captured only about 38% of the Republican primary electorate, this is more than an absurd strategy, it is one fraught with peril, and not only in the narrow political sense.

There is a very real possibility that members of the Progressive left and the Populist right will meet in Cleveland. And by "meet", I mean at full charge.   

A cult leader may reliably count on his devotees to follow him anywhere, but the destination inevitably ends suddenly, at the bottom of its downward trajectory.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 04:07:58 pm »
Enough!

The Mod for the Trump Safe Space comes into this thread, calls a member a moron then files a complaint about someone calling him names back.

The incredible level of cry-baby hypocrisy is astounding..

HonestJohn

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 04:14:23 pm »

His supporters have already started.

lionsoftrump.net
Their motto: "Lion Guard | Better to be a lion for a day, than a lamb for eternity"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:14:51 pm by HonestJohn »

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 04:22:28 pm »
The Mod for the Trump Safe Space comes into this thread, calls a member a moron then files a complaint about someone calling him names back.

I called the statement moronic, Luis.  And I did that deliberately not to tag the poster with the adjective.   :shrug:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 04:24:14 pm »
If you want to fight and call each other names do it in pms and not on the forum
Support the USO

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 04:38:12 pm »
I called the statement moronic, Luis.  And I did that deliberately not to tag the poster with the adjective.   :shrug:

You quote a post made by someone in full, call it a "moronic statement" and clam that you weren't insulting the person who made the statement?

Try that on someone more gullible.

Offline flowers

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 05:14:54 pm »
If you want to fight and call each other names do it in pms and not on the forum
So this is the new improved forum @mystery-ak

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 05:21:52 pm »
So this is the new improved forum @mystery-ak ?

There are other forums that I am sure you'd find more to your liking.

If you have a problem with me, direct your posts to me and leave myst out of it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 05:56:29 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 05:54:28 pm »
Trump is playing a very dangerous game.

He is laying the groundwork for open revolt should anyone but he be chosen as the GOP nominee. Given that the man has captured only about 38% of the Republican primary electorate, this is more than an absurd strategy, it is one fraught with peril, and not only in the narrow political sense.

There is a very real possibility that members of the Progressive left and the Populist right will meet in Cleveland. And by "meet", I mean at full charge.   

A cult leader may reliably count on his devotees to follow him anywhere, but the destination inevitably ends suddenly, at the bottom of its downward trajectory.

Here is hoping that  sidewindin', bushwhackin', hornswogglin' cracker croaker Trump will not be around to ruin the election this Nov.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 05:58:03 pm »
Once again, Trump is antagonizing the very people he needs to win in order to secure the nomination.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 06:06:38 pm »
Here is hoping that  sidewindin', bushwhackin', hornswogglin' cracker croaker Trump will not be around to ruin the election this Nov.

Thank you. Not only was that authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 06:15:52 pm »
Once again, Trump is antagonizing the very people he needs to win in order to secure the nomination.

It's completely in concert with Trump's business style.

He's trying to execute a hostile take over.