Author Topic: Obama on Garland: 'Yeah, he’s a white guy. But he’s a really outstanding jurist.'  (Read 556 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/275549-obama-on-garland-yeah-hes-a-white-guy-but-hes-a-really-outstanding

By Jordan Fabian - 04/07/16 05:42 PM EDT

President Obama on Thursday brushed aside concerns from some of his supporters that his Supreme Court nominee does not add diversity to the bench.

Obama chose Judge Merrick Garland, a white man of the Jewish faith, to serve on the nation’s highest court. Civil rights and progressive groups had urged the president to select a female nominee or a person of color.

“Well, he’s from Skokie,” Obama joked at a town hall at the University of Chicago School of Law, referring to the predominantly white Chicago suburb where Garland was raised.

"Yeah, he’s a white guy. But he’s a really outstanding jurist. Sorry,” he added.

The president spoke at the school where he once taught Thursday, where he urged Senate Republicans to end their Supreme Court blockade and give Garland a hearing and a vote.

But Obama is also trying to make sure his liberal supporters are motivated in what could be a months-long nomination battle.

He said he doesn’t think about each potential nominees’ race, gender or sexual orientation when canvassing candidates to serve on the federal bench.

“At no point did I say, ‘Oh, you know what, I need a black lesbian, you know, from Skokie in that slot. Can you find me one?’” he said. “That’s just not how I have approached it.”

Still, the president notes his record in “transforming the federal courts from a diversity standpoint,” noting that he’s nominated an unprecedented amount of black people, Latinos and women to the bench.

“The way I’ve thought about diversity is not to think about any single seat as, I’ve got fill this slot with this demographic,” he said. "But rather if I’ve got a broad set of nominations to make … how do I make sure I am intentional about that process so the talent of every potential candidate gets a fair look.

“That is in fact what has happened."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

A-Lert

The double standard continues.

Offline mountaineer

He said he doesn’t think about each potential nominees’ race, gender or sexual orientation when canvassing candidates to serve on the federal bench.

“At no point did I say, ‘Oh, you know what, I need a black lesbian, you know, from Skokie in that slot. Can you find me one?’” he said. “That’s just not how I have approached it.”
Hasn't he already appointed enough lesbians to the bench?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

Obama on Merrick Garland: ‘Yeah, He’s a White Guy’ But He’s an Outstanding Jurist
Posted By David Rutz On April 7, 2016 @ 5:32 pm In Politics | No Comments

President Obama defended his pick of Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court on Thursday, acknowledging he was a “white guy” but adding that he was an “outstanding jurist.”

Obama defended the diversity of his federal appointments during a conversation in Chicago, Illinois, about nominating Garland. However, Senate Republicans have largely been steadfast in saying they will not hold hearings for him, since it’s an election year.

Obama contended he had appointed more African Americans, Native Americans, Asian Americans and LGBT judges than any president before. He quipped he never felt he needed a “black lesbian from Skokie,” saying that was never his approach to appoint judges for the sake of diversity.

“It turns out that if the process is fair and you are saying that it’s important that our courts are reflective of a changing society, you’ll end up with a really good cross-section of people who are excellent and that’s who we’ve been able to appoint,” Obama said. “And so when I look at Merrick Garland, that was the person that, you know, the difference between the Supreme Court is just a handful of seats come up at any given time now.

“I appointed a Latino woman, another woman right before that. So, you know, yeah, he’s a white guy, but he’s a really outstanding jurist. Sorry.”

Obama appointed Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court earlier in his administration. Obama tapped Garland as his latest pick after the death of Antonin Scalia in February. The announcement has set up a tense fight on Capitol Hill, with Republicans and Democrats accusing one another of inconsistency and hypocrisy based on which party’s president is making an appointment.

Article printed from Washington Free Beacon: http://freebeacon.com

URL to article: http://freebeacon.com/politics/obama-merrick-garland-white-guy/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I believe the term here is 'RACIS!'
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:57:23 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

That is a totally racist statement Obama made.
Of course it is. But his skin tone exempts him from culpability.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

Of course it is. But his skin tone exempts him from culpability.

Half his blood, however,  consists of cracker which should at least make him half-culpable. :whistle: