Author Topic: Trump Blows Off Call With Pro-Life Leaders  (Read 1751 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump Blows Off Call With Pro-Life Leaders
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 12:17:24 am »
When you say what YOU think pro-lifers believe - you are presuming to speak for ME.  I am pro-life - you do not speak for what I believe.  You said:

That is simply NOT TRUE.  I have stated my belief that abortion is the taking of an innocent life, that it is murder.  If abortion is ever against the law - both the woman and the doctor that performs it should be punished.  When you say, "No pro-lifer..." - you are wrong and I am living proof that you are - and I am NOT a rare exception.

Then you are an outlier to the pro-life movement. No major pro-life organization believes in punishing women over abortion. 

You ARE an exception.  And, your view is one of the reasons pro-lifers are viewed as strange.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 12:31:57 am »
It is not a cohesive movement. Never has been and never will be.

For me it is all about  overturning Roe because the decision in that case rests on things nowhere to be found in our Constitution.

For others it is all about using the power of the federal government to stop abortion period.

I say return the issue to the states where it has always properly belonged. 

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

But if there's no cohesive mission, and so many definitions, how does one determine if someone is part of the pro-life "movement" or "leadership"?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 12:41:24 am »

But if there's no cohesive mission, and so many definitions, how does one determine if someone is part of the pro-life "movement" or "leadership"?

The same way we determine so many other similar things. We categorize ourselves as "conservative", "republican", "democrat "...

As to "leaders" of movements those are generally self appointed as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:01 am »

Since Trump declared, in his latest interview, that he's for "leaving things as they are," meaning abortion will stay legal in the US everywhere,  Trump has reverted back to pro-choice.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 12:47:30 am »
It is not a cohesive movement. Never has been and never will be.

For me it is all about  overturning Roe because the decision in that case rests on things nowhere to be found in our Constitution.

For others it is all about using the power of the federal government to stop abortion period.

I say return the issue to the states where it has always properly belonged.

Roe will never be overturned, just as Brown v. Board of Education will never be overturned (there is nothing expressly in the Constitution that says separate cannot be equal) and just as Miranda v. Arizona will never be overturned (there is no express basis in the Constitution for saying that evidence obtained in violation of a constitutional right must be suppressed).  It serves no purpose to waste scarce, valuable political capital on something that will never ever be. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 12:54:47 am »
Roe will never be overturned, just as Brown v. Board of Education will never be overturned (there is nothing expressly in the Constitution that says separate cannot be equal) and just as Miranda v. Arizona will never be overturned (there is no express basis in the Constitution for saying that evidence obtained in violation of a constitutional right must be suppressed).  It serves no purpose to waste scarce, valuable political capital on something that will never ever be.

I'm not nearly as sure about that as you seem to be but that's OK.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien