Author Topic: Tigers declared extinct in Cambodia  (Read 348 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Tigers declared extinct in Cambodia
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:01:05 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/06/tigers-declared-extinct-in-cambodia

Tigers are “functionally extinct” in Cambodia, conservationists conceded for the first time on Wednesday, as they launched a bold action plan to reintroduce the big cats to the kingdom’s forests. Cambodia’s dry forests used to be home to scores of Indochinese tigers but the WWF said intensive poaching of both tigers and their prey had devastated the numbers of the big cats. The last tiger was seen on camera trap in the eastern Mondulkiri province in 2007, it said. “Today, there are no longer any breeding populations of tigers left in Cambodia, and they are therefore considered functionally extinct,” the conservation group said in a statement.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Tigers declared extinct in Cambodia
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 03:13:22 pm »
Tigers in Southeast Asia, and elephants in Africa and India. Poor people doing what serves their immediate interests.

I get the wildlife conservation aspect, but it holds virtually no appeal in a near subsistence level economy, and with its people.

They need immediate compensation for the hunters. An appeal for conservation's sake alone, asks them to forego one dollar today for one dollar in the future.

And Japan is not a poor country, but insists commercial whaling is their right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Japan
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Tigers declared extinct in Cambodia
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:14:57 pm »
What are the Cambodians going to eat now?