Author Topic: Gingrich: Contested Convention 'Ain't Happening… Live With It'  (Read 1487 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=722471

Newsmax
Gingrich: Contested Convention 'Ain't Happening… Live With It'
Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:36 PM

By: Greg Richter

Either Donald Trump or Ted Cruz will be the Republican presidential nominee, says former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who laughed at the idea of a contested convention where someone such as current Speaker Paul Ryan would be drafted.

Appearing Tuesday on Fox News Channel's "Hannity" following Cruz's victory in Wisconsin, Gingrich said Trump and Cruz will enter the convention with 80 percent of the delegates, and have no incentive to change a current rule that requires someone to have won the most votes in at least eight states to secure the nomination.

Why, he asked, would they "give it to some nice person who didn't run, didn't raise money, didn't debate, didn't win delegates but what the heck? 'He's really,' or 'she's really, a terrific person.' I mean, even in a novel you couldn't get away with this."

Though Trump and Cruz supporters are vitriolic toward the other candidate today, they will come together after the nomination, Gingrich insisted.

"As long as it's Trump or Cruz, we'll reunite because, frankly, both the Trump people and the Cruz people email me or tweet me and say they dislike Washington a heck of a lot more than they dislike the other guy."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Gingrich: Contested Convention 'Ain't Happening… Live With It'
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 02:21:18 pm »
Not only is Gingrich correct, there is no case for a contested convention, unless you believe that the Rove/Romney/Bush/Kasich establishment wing has enough power to force it.

And secondly now in the next few weeks, watch the media go after Rev. Cruz and his "anointed" son. Sen. Cruz R-Alberta, who has had a relatively easy go of it so far with the media.

With a lead of sorts, he should get tough scrutiny. He will be in the bull's eye, for the media and for Trump.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 02:21:30 pm »
Gingrich is wrong.  He's been wrong before, mostly about the country's desire for his presidency.

For all of Newt's happy talk, there will be no big "reuniting" behind Trump. He has poisoned too many wells.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 02:43:28 pm »
Not only is Gingrich correct, there is no case for a contested convention, unless you believe that the Rove/Romney/Bush/Kasich establishment wing has enough power to force it.

And secondly now in the next few weeks, watch the media go after Rev. Cruz and his "anointed" son. Sen. Cruz R-Alberta, who has had a relatively easy go of it so far with the media.

With a lead of sorts, he should get tough scrutiny. He will be in the bull's eye, for the media and for Trump.

There is ample reason for a contested convention; it is becoming apparent that Trump won't get the delegates needed.  Gingrich burnt his bridges a long time ago and was rejected by his own party and he lost big time last election.  I'm till trying to figure out how Gingrich thinks he's even relevant anymore.

As for the media and Trump -- well they tried the birther issue and sex scandals ...  and Trump was shut down big time in an open primary state.

Ted Cruz 2016!  Reigniting the Promise of America!    :patriot:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:44:49 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:06:19 pm »
This writer at Newsmax is a certified moron. Gingrich said no such thing. There will be a contested convention. What Newt is saying is that some white knight isn't going to sweep in and take the nomination. As it stands Trump and Cruz control a large block of delegates. These are the only two candidates that will be on the ballot with the rules in place.

And no, Kasich will not be on the ballot with his current totals based on the rules in place.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 04:57:31 pm »

It's the "establishment" who run elections and nominating Conventions.  They DO have the power to "force it" and it will be "forced".   Politics is a profession and skilled trade and the super professionals always prevail.

Trump made a nice try, but his hostile takeover of the GOP is likely to fail.   His ardent supporters will have to decide their "Plan B" as honorable citizens and patriots.   As most are.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 05:04:38 pm »

:bigsilly:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 05:21:00 pm »
This writer at Newsmax is a certified moron. Gingrich said no such thing. There will be a contested convention. What Newt is saying is that some white knight isn't going to sweep in and take the nomination. As it stands Trump and Cruz control a large block of delegates. These are the only two candidates that will be on the ballot with the rules in place.

And no, Kasich will not be on the ballot with his current totals based on the rules in place.

Excuse my ignorance on this, but it is my understanding that Cruz and Trump will be on the first round of ballots and that there may very well be a second round of ballots and none of the delegates are bound and anyone can be selected?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 05:42:56 pm »
It's the "establishment" who run elections and nominating Conventions.  They DO have the power to "force it" and it will be "forced".   Politics is a profession and skilled trade and the super professionals always prevail.

Trump made a nice try, but his hostile takeover of the GOP is likely to fail.   His ardent supporters will have to decide their "Plan B" as honorable citizens and patriots.   As most are.

IMHO Trump's objective was to hand Hillary the White House at which he is succeeding. If the establishment nominates one of their own, they will lose again just as they have the past elections.  As for Trump supporters, I don't see them walking away quietly if Trump comes closes to accumulating the needed delegates and then isn't nominated at the convention.

The only peaceful outcome is if Cruz wins it out right.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 06:23:36 pm »
Excuse my ignorance on this, but it is my understanding that Cruz and Trump will be on the first round of ballots and that there may very well be a second round of ballots and none of the delegates are bound and anyone can be selected?

I believe every state has differing rules about when delegates are "unbound".

Reince Priebus said yesterday on a Milwaukee radio show that some delegates would be freed after three or four votes.   It's an arcane process to be sure.   But ... the folks who know what they're doing don't work for Trump.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:34:05 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 06:27:28 pm »
IMHO Trump's objective was to hand Hillary the White House at which he is succeeding. If the establishment nominates one of their own, they will lose again just as they have the past elections.  As for Trump supporters, I don't see them walking away quietly if Trump comes closes to accumulating the needed delegates and then isn't nominated at the convention.

The only peaceful outcome is if Cruz wins it out right.

I think Cruz will be the nominee out of Cleveland.

He's proving to the "Establishment" that he knows how to build a successful electoral machine.   We'll see.

As far as the thug element in Trump's constituency?   They can go start trouble along side the Soros-funded OWS and BLM anarchists outside Quicken Loans arena.   Who cares?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 02:45:22 am »
If Mr. Trump comes to the convention with nearly enough delegates to win, yet still shy of 1,237, watch for him to make John Kasich "an offa he can't refuse". That being the vice presidency.

Kind of like Reagan picking G.H.W. Bush in 1980 (although Reagan probably didn't need him).

Trump is the deal-maker.
Kasich is but a deal-"taker".
When the chips are down, he'll take what's offered.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 03:27:25 am »
I believe every state has differing rules about when delegates are "unbound".

Some states delegates never are bound. See PA.

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/10229809-74/delegates-candidates-district

Yes. Our state sucks.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 03:46:51 am »
If Mr. Trump comes to the convention with nearly enough delegates to win, yet still shy of 1,237, watch for him to make John Kasich "an offa he can't refuse". That being the vice presidency.

Kind of like Reagan picking G.H.W. Bush in 1980 (although Reagan probably didn't need him).

Trump is the deal-maker.
Kasich is but a deal-"taker".
When the chips are down, he'll take what's offered.

Yah.  I don't see that happening.  So far, Mr. Closer is failing miserably at the ground game - Cruz is running rings around him - and I cannot see anyone wanting to be tarred and feathered with a too close association with Trump.  If, God forbid, Trump is elected president, his vice president will never be subsequently elected president.