Author Topic: Cruz Still Faces Daunting Delegate Math After Win in Wisconsin  (Read 365 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Cruz Still Faces Daunting Delegate Math After Win in Wisconsin
Bloomberg Politics; Sahil Kapur; Apr 6, 2016

snip

But Cruz wakes up to a discomfiting reality Wednesday: he needs about four-fifths of remaining delegates to win the Republican presidential nomination. Even cutting into Trump’s still-large lead in the primary is a stretch as surveys show him ahead in the three most delegate-rich states yet to vote: New York, Pennsylvania, and California.

David Wasserman, an election analyst at the Cook Political Report, said Cruz’s victory bodes “well for him in Indiana, South Dakota, Nebraska, and other more culturally conservative states that have yet to vote.”

However, “Trump is likely to erase whatever poor performance he has in [Wisconsin with] a big win in New York on April 19—he could win almost all 95 delegates there,” Wasserman added.

In Wisconsin, Cruz benefited from a relative lack of majority-minority districts (which award an outsize portion of delegates per Republican voters, and which have been Trump's strength) as well as broad support from the party establishment, including the endorsement of Governor Scott Walker and a vibrant community of conservative activists who united behind his campaign.

Cruz's campaign wouldn’t specify which of the remaining states or districts it needs to win in order to secure the nomination.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-04-06/cruz-has-tough-road-ahead-after-biggest-victory-of-campaign

Bill Cipher

Re: Cruz Still Faces Daunting Delegate Math After Win in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:58:32 pm »
Everyone knows Cruz won't win a majority of bound delegates before the convention, so this article is just silly talk.  What Cruz has done, however, and what Trump has so miserably failed to do, is play the ground game well enough to give himself really good odds at winning the second, unbound, vote at the convention. All Cruz needs to do now to beat STrump is make sure Trump doesn't get a majority of bound delegates prior to the convention and that is looking like an easier and easier proposition given Trump's propensity to shoot off his mouth and thereby shoot himself in the foot.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Cruz Still Faces Daunting Delegate Math After Win in Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 02:16:32 pm »
Everyone knows Cruz won't win a majority of bound delegates before the convention, so this article is just silly talk.  What Cruz has done, however, and what Trump has so miserably failed to do, is play the ground game well enough to give himself really good odds at winning the second, unbound, vote at the convention. All Cruz needs to do now to beat STrump is make sure Trump doesn't get a majority of bound delegates prior to the convention and that is looking like an easier and easier proposition given Trump's propensity to shoot off his mouth and thereby shoot himself in the foot.

While the math is daunting don't under estimate Cruz. He's been prepared for a contested convention for quite some time.  I have no doubt that Cruz will be our nominee and our next POTUS.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.