Author Topic: The disaster that may have saved D-Day. Hushed up for decades: How 749 U.S. troops died in practice for Utah Beach  (Read 1338 times)

rangerrebew

The disaster that may have saved D-Day
Hushed up for decades: How 749 U.S. troops died in practice for Utah Beach

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30977039/ns/world_news-d_day_65_years_later/t/disaster-may-have-saved-d-day/#.VwQroUf0SYN

Image: Obelisk at Slapton Sands, England
Paul Segner  /  msnbc.com
In 1954, the U.S. Army presented this obelisk as a tribute to the sacrifices made by 3,000 residents of the area around Slapton Sands, England, who "generously left their homes and their lands" to allow mock landings ahead of D-Day. However, it made no mention of the hundreds of American servicemen killed during Exercise Tiger.
By Jason Cumming
msnbc.com
updated 6/5/2009 6:48:11 AM ET

Print
    Font:

SLAPTON SANDS, England — Lured across the English Channel by an unexpected frenzy of radio chatter, the Nazi predators sliced through the waves toward an unknown enemy.

It was shortly after midnight on April 28, 1944. Within a matter of 2-1/2 hours, an ambush by a German E-boat flotilla had brought misery to hundreds of American families.

A secret dress rehearsal for D-Day had been interrupted with deadly consequences.

Nicknamed "Long Slow Targets" by their crews, the U.S. landing craft proved to be no match for the 50-mph German torpedo boats. The hit-and-run attack left two American vessels ablaze and sinking. A third had been struck in the stern and was badly damaged.

As hundreds of American servicemen floundered amid the burning oil and cold water off England's southern coast, futile cries of "help" and "mom" echoed across the darkness. At least 749 U.S. sailors and soldiers would be dead by dawn.

Code-named Exercise Tiger, the ill-fated D-Day dry run was at the time America's costliest incident of the war (only Pearl Harbor was worse). The attack claimed more than three times as many lives as the amphibious landing at Utah Beach in France, the assault they had been practicing for at Slapton Sands in picturesque Devon county.

But now, 65 years after the disaster was hushed-up by military chiefs, historians believe lessons learned from the little-known tragedy helped to ensure the success of the D-Day landings less than six weeks later.
Advertise

"These people were training for a military operation in the midst of a war," said Dr. Harry Bennett, a World War II expert based at Britain's University of Plymouth. "Without Exercise Tiger, the liberation of Normandy, France and Europe might have been a more protracted and bloody process."

Haunted by carnage
For the servicemen who made it back to shore, such sentiments don't make the horrors they witnessed any easier to bear.

Many survivors say it isn't memories of Utah or Omaha beaches that haunt them decades later. It's the carnage of the pre-invasion practice gone wrong that live on in their nightmares.

Steve Sadlon, who was a radio operator aboard the first landing craft struck by the German E-boats that night, recalls being awakened by the "scraping" sound of a torpedo that failed to detonate. Moments later, an explosion ripped through LST 507, which was fully loaded with trucks, military equipment and soldiers. (LST is an acronym for Landing Ship, Tank.)

Image: Steve Sadlon
Steve Sadlon, 86, of Ilion, N.Y., earned a Purple Heart after being injured during Exercise Tiger.
"It was an inferno," said Sadlon, speaking from his home in Ilion in upstate New York. "The fire was circling the ship. It was terrible.

"Guys were burning to death and screaming. Even to this day I remember it. Every time I go to bed, it pops into my head. I can't forget it."

Sadlon, who was aged 20 at the time, retrieved his pistol and a floatation belt before leaping into the frigid English Channel.

"Guys were grabbing hold of us and we had to fight them off," he recalled. "Guys were screaming, 'Help, help, help' and then you wouldn't hear their voices anymore."

Tracers light the sky
Paul Gerolstein, then a gunner's mate 2nd class, recalls a fireball rising "60 or 70 feet in the air" after Sadlon's LST was struck by the second torpedo.

"Our radar gave us the German positions and we started to return fire," said Gerolstein, an 88-year-old retired police lieutenant who now lives in Port Charlotte, Fla. "I vividly remember the German tracers were light green while our tracers were red.

"The convoy was given orders to scatter and the battle was over before we knew it.

"But my captain, John Doyle, decided to stay. 'We came here to fight the Germans and we will stay here and fight,' he ordered. We went back and threw cargo nets over the side and picked up 70 or 80 survivors."
Advertise

Gerolstein recalls working with a "strong as a bull" colleague named Gerhard Jensen to pull seven or eight wounded servicemen to safety.

Image: Exercise Tiger memorial at Slapton Sands, England
Paul Segner  /  msnbc.com
This Sherman tank, which was recovered from the sea about a mile off Slapton Sands, England, serves as a memorial to the U.S. servicemen killed while preparing for D-Day.

Sadlon ended up spending about four hours in the frigid English Channel before he was finally hauled aboard an American landing craft. Unconscious and suffering from hypothermia, he was initially mistaken for dead.

But, like many Exercise Tiger survivors, he would participate in the D-Day landings just 40 days later.

"In comparison to the E-boat attack, Utah Beach was a walk in the park," Sadlon said.

D-Day nearly scrapped
The deadly ambush left Allied commanders rattled. Ten U.S. officers with detailed knowledge of the looming Normandy invasion were missing and the possibility that any of them been taken prisoner on the German E-boats was a major concern. Scrapping "Operation Overlord," the name given to the D-Day landings, was discussed at the highest levels.

But the emergency ended when all ten bodies were eventually recovered. The German crews had no idea they had stumbled upon a secret test run for the Normandy invasion.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:19:26 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Wow -- I'm pretty well-read on WW2, and I'd never heard of that.  What a tragedy.  And frankly, no excuse for keeping it silent.

The wife and I were at the Eisenhower estate in Gettysburg  last summer and I asked the tour guide about Ike's response.  She said it was something he preferred not to talk about and suggested he would have been happier if the word had never gotten out.  There actually is quite a bit of info on it on line.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I have heard about it -- and it was probably better at the time, to keep it hushed.

We did keep a lot of stuff secret for 50 years, btw.

That of course, was back when we actually won wars decisively. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

There were many drowning casualties among Marines in the Pacific early in the war that were not talked about openly.  Landing craft would encounter shallow water and let out the troops, who would go forward with their very heavy packs into the deep water of a lagoon -- the shallow water they'd encountered had just been an offshore reef. 

A Cornell geologist helped them develop better techniques to avoid these tragedies, by better timing the tides and understanding the reef systems.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

rangerrebew

That of course, was back when we actually won wars decisively.

And were allowed to FIGHT wars decisively.