Author Topic: Top Republicans believe Paul Ryan will be nominee  (Read 8409 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Top Republicans believe Paul Ryan will be nominee
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2016, 01:42:04 pm »
willfully ignorant or idiots; they're one or the other.

Only an extremely arrogant person would assume that.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Bill Cipher

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2016, 01:43:53 pm »
Only an extremely arrogant person would assume that.

Only a fool who hasn't given any thought to the lies coming from Trump's mouth and the mindless cult of personality that surrounds Trump would think that.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2016, 01:46:02 pm »
Only a fool who hasn't given any thought to the lies coming from Trump's mouth and the mindless cult of personality that surrounds Trump would think that.

Let's assume for a moment that all of Trump's supporters are ignorant/stupid. What does berating them for their ignorance/stupidity accomplish other than more division?
-Socrates

Bill Cipher

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2016, 01:49:02 pm »
Let's assume for a moment that all of Trump's supporters are ignorant/stupid. What does berating them for their ignorance/stupidity accomplish other than more division?

Since rational discussion hasn't gotten through to them, in fact has only caused them to double down on their mindless fealty to Saint Trump - witness the dogged attempts to defend Trump's smear of Fields in direct contradiction to cold hard facts - there isn't much left other than to rub their noses in the mess they've made.  When the shoe fits ....

Offline Dexter

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2016, 01:50:24 pm »
Since rational discussion hasn't gotten through to them, in fact has only caused them to double down on their mindless fealty to Saint Trump - witness the dogged attempts to defend Trump's smear of Fields in direct contradiction to cold hard facts - there isn't much left other than to rub their noses in the mess they've made.  When the shoe fits ....

If you can't get through to them why not leave it at that? Why do you have to rub their noses in it? It accomplishes nothing positive.
-Socrates

Bill Cipher

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2016, 01:52:56 pm »
If you can't get through to them why not leave it at that? Why do you have to rub their noses in it? It accomplishes nothing positive.

Because pointing out the utter stupidity of those who have sworn fealty to Saint Trump may dissuade others who are on the fence. 

If you don't like it, you can always join the hallelujah chorus in their safe space. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2016, 01:54:59 pm »
Because pointing out the utter stupidity of those who have sworn fealty to Saint Trump may dissuade others who are on the fence. 

I highly doubt that.

If you don't like it, you can always join the hallelujah chorus in their safe space.

I just want adults to act and treat each other like adults.
-Socrates

Bill Cipher

« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2016, 01:56:12 pm »
I highly doubt that.

Then you should be encouraging the Trumpists to grow up, start using the brains God gave them, and stop acting like spoilt little brats. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2016, 01:59:07 pm »
I highly doubt that.

You're assuming those doing much of the attacking are, in fact, adults.

I'm not just concerned with chronological age here.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2016, 02:03:45 pm »

I tend to agree with Dexter.  Correct misinformation and falsehoods, and then move on. 

By repeatedly bashing them over the head, even if it is with truth, it makes them look like martyrs for the cause and makes them even more resolute in their position.  And, it makes the anti-Trumps look bad and negative.  Much better to be pro-something.

Offline Relic

« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2016, 02:16:24 pm »
I tend to agree with Dexter.  Correct misinformation and falsehoods, and then move on. 

By repeatedly bashing them over the head, even if it is with truth, it makes them look like martyrs for the cause and makes them even more resolute in their position.  And, it makes the anti-Trumps look bad and negative.  Much better to be pro-something.

I agree. But, it's what the GOP has been doing for years now. Just be anti something. The pro anything gets lost in the bluster.

Here's what I think is the reality of this, as it concerns this forum. This little piece of the internet has absolutely no impact on America's political course, (sorry Myst). It just doesn't, it's too small. So, what we're really talking about is how welcoming do you want this place to be? Do you want to check in and see 3 or 4 threads with nothing but insults flying, day after day? It gets tiresome.

The anti-Trump crowd have decided that Trump supporters are Trump, and deserve the same level of disdain.

I think Trump is a train wreck that will be taken care of at the convention. I see Trump supporters as people with much the same wishes for America's political direction as I have. It looks to me that Trump supporters have decided that they can take a shot with Trump, because going with the same old candidates will get the same old results. Regardless of what you think of Trump, it's a valid point. The vitriol by the anti Trump crowd is over the top, and smells of fear. I don't like Trump, I never trusted Trump, but some of these posters almost make me hope Trump wins, just to see them continue on their unhinged journey.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2016, 02:18:44 pm »
I agree. But, it's what the GOP has been doing for years now. Just be anti something. The pro anything gets lost in the bluster.

Here's what I think is the reality of this, as it concerns this forum. This little piece of the internet has absolutely no impact on America's political course, (sorry Myst). It just doesn't, it's too small. So, what we're really talking about is how welcoming do you want this place to be? Do you want to check in and see 3 or 4 threads with nothing but insults flying, day after day? It gets tiresome.

The anti-Trump crowd have decided that Trump supporters are Trump, and deserve the same level of disdain.

I think Trump is a train wreck that will be taken care of at the convention. I see Trump supporters as people with much the same wishes for America's political direction as I have. It looks to me that Trump supporters have decided that they can take a shot with Trump, because going with the same old candidates will get the same old results. Regardless of what you think of Trump, it's a valid point. The vitriol by the anti Trump crowd is over the top, and smells of fear. I don't like Trump, I never trusted Trump, but some of these posters almost make me hope Trump wins, just to see them continue on their unhinged journey.

Love you, man!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bill Cipher

« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2016, 02:22:09 pm »
You're assuming those doing much of the attacking are, in fact, adults.

I'm not just concerned with chronological age here.

/snicker

Someone who believes that a 45% tariff on imports and a gigantic wall along the Rio Grande - that Mexico will pay for - will solve all of this country's problems is not an adult and doesn't deserve to be treated as if they were one.  There is no defensible reason for supporting Donald Trump.  There most definitely is no excuse for worshipping his cult of personality and smearing people who have the temerity to cross him or get mauled by his campaign manager. 

You want to be treated like an adult?  Then start thinking like an adult. 

And if you don't like my tone, then you'd damn well better explain why it's fine coming from Saint Trump but not fine coming from me. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:23:12 pm by Bill Cipher »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2016, 02:27:54 pm »
So, what we're really talking about is how welcoming do you want this place to be? Do you want to check in and see 3 or 4 threads with nothing but insults flying, day after day? It gets tiresome.

Couldn't agree more. I have been saying this for weeks.

CaliGirl posted in the Welcome Thread and it quickly degenerated into a Trump bashing thread....

Please enough is enough....stop with the Trumpettes are idiots posts...just because you haven't singled out a Trump supporter here it is still bordering on a personal attack and I am tired of it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2016, 02:29:54 pm »
/snicker

Someone who believes that a 45% tariff on imports and a gigantic wall along the Rio Grande - that Mexico will pay for - will solve all of this country's problems is not an adult and doesn't deserve to be treated as if they were one.  There is no defensible reason for supporting Donald Trump.  There most definitely is no excuse for worshipping his cult of personality and smearing people who have the temerity to cross him or get mauled by his campaign manager. 

You want to be treated like an adult?  Then start thinking like an adult. 

And if you don't like my tone, then you'd damn well better explain why it's fine coming from Saint Trump but not fine coming from me.

I don't care about your tone. Your anger says all anyone wants to know about you.

You equate yourself with Donald Trump? How cute.

I never said the stuff Trump spews is fine. And last time I checked, he doesn't post here.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »
I don't care about your tone. Your anger says all anyone wants to know about you.

You equate yourself with Donald Trump? How cute.

I never said the stuff Trump spews is fine. And last time I checked, he doesn't post here.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.  If you don't like my tone but you love Trump's then you're a hypocrite. 

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2016, 02:31:35 pm »

Here's my disconnect:  I understand the animus toward the Beltway Republican elite.  I do.  It's been frustrating to watch a punk like Obama seemingly run roughshod over our Constitution and Republican Congress without any seeming push-back from the impotent Boehner/McConnell cabal.

I understand the visceral desire to punish those DC elites, to disempower their influence and standing and positions of power going forward.

But, here's what I don't understand:  Given the desire to "shake things up" and support someone who has fought the GOPe and been a victim of their fecklessness and schemes -  why in the world wouldn't Conservatives support Ted Cruz? 

Why Trump?  He's never been anything but a venal insider buying political favor and cutting deals.  His entire career and wealth are a product of his political cronyism.   He's the embodiment of the corrupt elite bagman his supporters are supposedly looking to punish within the GOPe.   And, he's been doing it with liberal Democrats!

Why Trump and not Cruz?   I have not observed a single one of his supporters make a cogent case - on this presumably Conservative board - that Trump is a more faithful "outsider" than the guy who was hated by his wimpy colleagues for standing up to Obamacare and the corrupt Omnibus bills and general Obama Administration misdeeds.

I don't get it.

Offline Relic

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2016, 02:32:52 pm »
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.  If you don't like my tone but you love Trump's then you're a hypocrite.

If you read my posts and conclude that I love Trump you're a moron.

Your anger will take care of you sooner or later. Post as you see fit, I don't own this place.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2016, 02:32:59 pm »
Here's my disconnect:  I understand the animus toward the Beltway Republican elite.  I do.  It's been frustrating to watch a punk like Obama seemingly run roughshod over our Constitution and Republican Congress without any seeming push-back from the impotent Boehner/McConnell cabal.

I understand the visceral desire to punish those DC elites, to disempower their influence and standing and positions of power going forward.

But, here's what I don't understand:  Given the desire to "shake things up" and support someone who has fought the GOPe and been a victim of their fecklessness and schemes -  why in the world wouldn't Conservatives support Ted Cruz? 

Why Trump?  He's never been anything but a venal insider buying political favor and cutting deals.  His entire career and wealth are a product of his political cronyism.   He's the embodiment of the corrupt elite bagman his supporters are supposedly looking to punish within the GOPe.   And, he's been doing it with liberal Democrats!

Why Trump and not Cruz?   I have not observed a single one of his supporters make a cogent case - on this presumably Conservative board - that Trump is a more faithful "outsider" than the guy who was hated by his wimpy colleagues for standing up to Obamacare and the corrupt Omnibus bills and general Obama Administration misdeeds.

I don't get it.

goopo

Bill Cipher

« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2016, 02:34:21 pm »
If you read my posts and conclude that I love Trump you're a moron.

Your anger will take care of you sooner or later. Post as you see fit, I don't own this place.

I've read your posts and, contrary to your self-serving assertions, you do agree with Trump. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »

I don't get it.

Thank you for a reasonable response without invectives.

My answer is, I don't know. I have always found something slightly offensive about Trump. I thought he was a clown in 2012, and I think he still is a clown. I thought Trump's birther moment was embarrassing. Trump just is too darn smarmy, and has a terrible history.

Maybe it's Trump's ability to confront the media, and his very direct words? That is fascinating, but in the long run, it's not productive. I'd love to tell jerks I know in my daily life that they're jerks, but that wouldn't work out well for me.

I don't like Trump, I don't think he can win if he's nominated, but I don't dislike people who like Trump. Just like I didn't dislike those who didn't like Romney when I did. Heck, I have friends who voted for Obama, and I can't tell you how much I loathe him.

Offline Relic

« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2016, 02:43:19 pm »
I've read your posts and, contrary to your self-serving assertions, you do agree with Trump.

You really are a moron. You seem like one of those FR refugees who spent all their time looking for someone to fight with.
And now, you add mind reading to your list of skills.

You're a funny, sad, odd little man.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2016, 02:49:34 pm »
There was a debate where Trump "stood up" to the media, some punks from CNN or some such. Suddenly all the GOP candidates grew a spine and even Christie stood up to the media. I think this endeared a lot of people towards Trump.

Which he flushed down the drain, subsequently.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »
Couldn't agree more. I have been saying this for weeks.

CaliGirl posted in the Welcome Thread and it quickly degenerated into a Trump bashing thread....

Please enough is enough....stop with the Trumpettes are idiots posts...just because you haven't singled out a Trump supporter here it is still bordering on a personal attack and I am tired of it.

You're dead wrong. Reread the thread in question. It was Relic who brought up politics, when it had nothing to do with the thread at hand. He also told the new poster that unless she supported Trump she wouldn't be welcome, which is a lie.

Offline Relic

« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2016, 02:58:45 pm »
You're dead wrong. Reread the thread in question. It was Relic who brought up politics, when it had nothing to do with the thread at hand. He also told the new poster that unless she supported Trump she wouldn't be welcome, which is a lie.

Mommy, mommy, he did it!

Yeah, I did it. I let you anti Trump folks get the best of me yesterday. I was irritated.
But, you managed to touch on one of my pet peeves, mischaracterization of a post. I said, if she hated Trump and his supporters, she'd fit right in. I didn't say if she loved Trump she'd not be welcome. You infer that, I didn't imply it.

As it turns out, she's from Cali, so it was a reasonable bet she'd not like Trump, and it turns out she "hates Trump".