Author Topic: Top Republicans believe Paul Ryan will be nominee  (Read 8322 times)

Offline Relic

Re: Top Republicans believe Paul Ryan will be nominee
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2016, 07:33:11 pm »
You're assuming that the people who vote in the primaries constitute the entire GOP base.  They do not.  You're also assuming that he delegate count is a good proxy for the actual popular interest. It isn't, in particular because the delegate count is skewed by the winner take all states.  Take these factors into account and the number who represent the hard core base for Trump becomes quite small when compared to the actual GOP base in the general election.

Well then, by all means, the GOP should drive off every last one of them. That will strengthen the party.

HonestJohn

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2016, 07:41:34 pm »
Well then, by all means, the GOP should drive off every last one of them. That will strengthen the party.

It probably will, as it would finally allow the GOP to put forth a positive message to Hispanics, youth, and women voters.  Which would be a vast improvement to the current message that, in essence, says, "We hate you, we despise you, we want you stripped of all rights and kicked out of 'our' country".

A simple recovery back to a 50-50 balance in those voter blocks would be a net positive, even factoring in the loss of the Trump side of the GOP.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:41:59 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2016, 07:53:00 pm »
It probably will, as it would finally allow the GOP to put forth a positive message to Hispanics, youth, and women voters.  Which would be a vast improvement to the current message that, in essence, says, "We hate you, we despise you, we want you stripped of all rights and kicked out of 'our' country".

A simple recovery back to a 50-50 balance in those voter blocks would be a net positive, even factoring in the loss of the Trump side of the GOP.

I think the message has been "we really don't believe in anything except our own self-enrichment, and we sure as hell aren't going to risk our cushy jobs to stand up for you people."

HonestJohn

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2016, 08:11:58 pm »
I think the message has been "we really don't believe in anything except our own self-enrichment, and we sure as hell aren't going to risk our cushy jobs to stand up for you people."

It's called 'representing the wishes of the voter'.  If the voter wants a certain policy or position, they will vote for it.  So a political party either changes to meet the new policy/positions... or they go extinct.

Case in point, womens issues and unions. 

In the 1960-late 70s, the equal-rights amendment was pushed by the GOP and abortion had no place at the national level.  Furthermore, the GOP supported unions in the 1950s.

Now, the GOP doesn't support any of these positions.

Offline Relic

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2016, 08:19:06 pm »

I really hate when people twist things for their own benefit.
You are deserving of contempt.

HonestJohn

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2016, 08:25:34 pm »
I really hate when people twist things for their own benefit.
You are deserving of contempt.

Who said that all Mexicans are rapists?  Who talks about Megan Kelly's bloody 'whatever'?

You heap contempt on Trump, for he twists his words to maximize the hatred in his base.

And now, who is going for the personal attacks?  YOU.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:25:59 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2016, 08:30:55 pm »
Who said that all Mexicans are rapists?  Who talks about Megan Kelly's bloody 'whatever'?

You heap contempt on Trump, for he twists his words to maximize the hatred in his base.

And now, who is going for the personal attacks?  YOU.

John, he never said "all Mexicans are rapists".  He just didn't.

HonestJohn

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2016, 08:39:22 pm »
Who defines what is positive to those groups?  You?  Who defines what is an improved message?  You?  All I see is an emotional argument similar to what the left makes.  You claim the message your opponents support is "we hate you, we despise you, we want you stripped of all your rights and kicked out..."  That's not a substantive argument.  That is emotional manipulation, trying to discredit based on feelings rather than fact.

If you want to change things, do it the legitimate way.  But don't sell it with emotional smears or lie to get your guy elected.  Do it the legitimate way.   We are a nation of laws.  When people break them, there are consequences.  The "but they feel bad" argument is illegitimate.  The "but it doesn't work" argument is worth weighing, but also somewhat illegitimate in that the total elimination of crime will never happen.  Men are corrupt.  Maybe we should ditch our laws against theft because they are not working.  People keep stealing.  etc.

Who defines positive to those groups?  THEY DO!  They show it by voting our way.

It's that simple.  The more negatively viewed the GOP is... the less votes we get from them.  So, we're pretty negatively viewed at the moment.  And the first step in getting out of this hole is to *STOP DIGGING*.

I pointed out that if we simply managed to right the scales and return to a rough 50-50 voter distribution with these groups, we'd take in more votes than we'd lose.  Which means more elections going in our favor.

HonestJohn

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2016, 08:41:58 pm »

Verbatim quote from Trump:

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
- Donald Trump

So, yes, he didn't say all Mexicans.  He said all Mexican immigrants into the United States.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:42:50 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Relic

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2016, 08:42:25 pm »
Who defines what is positive to those groups?  You?  Who defines what is an improved message?  You?  All I see is an emotional argument similar to what the left makes.  You claim the message your opponents support is "we hate you, we despise you, we want you stripped of all your rights and kicked out..."  That's not a substantive argument.  That is emotional manipulation, trying to discredit based on feelings rather than fact.

If you want to change things, do it the legitimate way.  But don't sell it with emotional smears or lie to get your guy elected.  Do it the legitimate way.   We are a nation of laws.  When people break them, there are consequences.  The "but they feel bad" argument is illegitimate.  The "but it doesn't work" argument is worth weighing, but also somewhat illegitimate in that the total elimination of crime will never happen.  Men are corrupt.  Maybe we should ditch our laws against theft because they are not working.  People keep stealing.  etc.

Quote from: Sanguine

It's just his own brand of "hyperbole".

This board has become very tiresome due to that kind of garbage going on.
I notice a few new posters, all with the same general point of view, using similar tactics.

Coincidence?

Offline Relic

« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2016, 08:44:13 pm »
Verbatim quote from Trump:

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
- Donald Trump

So, yes, he didn't say all Mexicans.  He said all Mexican immigrants into the United States.

Poor HonestJohn, either the nickname is a misnomer, or you're unable to read with any level of comprehension.

HonestJohn

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2016, 08:45:16 pm »

I notice a few new posters, all with the same general point of view, using similar tactics.

Coincidence?

More snide innuendo, Relic?  You are copying the Trump side's playbook to a 'T'.

HonestJohn

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2016, 08:46:27 pm »
Poor HonestJohn, either the nickname is a misnomer, or you're unable to read with any level of comprehension.

More insults.  Trump side to a 'T'.

Offline Relic

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2016, 08:55:24 pm »
More insults.  Trump side to a 'T'.

Well, a couple of things to clarify.
You're saying the Trump side resorts to insults more than the other side? Is that what I'm reading?

Second, I'm not on the Trump side, that has been posted. I am on the side of Trump supporters, because I, too, am sick of the status quo, and arrogant without merit people that support the status quo. Those Trump supporters, in general, aren't racist, or stupid, or whatever other characterization you want to use. They are Americans who are unhappy with the direction of the country. This really has the feel of the liberal attacks on the Tea Party. And some of the posters here seem to have adopted that liberal approach, if not world view.

A-Lert

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2016, 09:00:53 pm »
It's a difficult business for Republicans these days. I agree, they seem as though they don't want to win the White House.

Cynical? Yes. Accurate? You tell me.

The GOPers are afraid if Trump wins they'll actually have to accomplish something.

HonestJohn

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2016, 09:09:47 pm »
Well, a couple of things to clarify.
You're saying the Trump side resorts to insults more than the other side? Is that what I'm reading?

Second, I'm not on the Trump side, that has been posted. I am on the side of Trump supporters, because I, too, am sick of the status quo, and arrogant without merit people that support the status quo. Those Trump supporters, in general, aren't racist, or stupid, or whatever other characterization you want to use. They are Americans who are unhappy with the direction of the country. This really has the feel of the liberal attacks on the Tea Party. And some of the posters here seem to have adopted that liberal approach, if not world view.

Yes.  *VERY MUCH SO!*

I don't forget attempts to smear my name and the only people who have... have been on the Trump side.  And I see the *EXACT* same pattern coming from you!

First insults, then innuendo to try and get others support for the 'next' step... being a call to ban members.  You have gone, in just two hours, from step one... to step two.  I am expecting you to now call for Myst to ban not just myself, but anyone that might even speak up on my behalf.

You should look back at the locked threads and compare. 

---

On a different thread, I pointed out how I disagreed with your assessments.  You focused some substance and some nits.  I responded to your substance AND nits.  Then came your snark.  I called you on it.  Then came your insults and innuendo, which you then carried to *THIS* unrelated thread!

That is beyond the pale of what I consider acceptable behavior.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:29:41 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Relic

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2016, 09:33:58 pm »
Yes.  *VERY MUCH SO!*

I don't forget attempts to smear my name and the only people who have... have been on the Trump side.  And I see the *EXACT* same pattern coming from you!

First insults, then innuendo to try and get others support for the 'next' step... being a call to ban members.  You have gone, in just two hours, from step one... to step two.  I am expecting you to now call for Myst to ban not just myself, but anyone that might even speak up on my behalf.

You should look back at the locked threads and compare. 

---

On a different thread, I pointed out how I disagreed with your assessments.  You focused some substance and some nits.  I responded to your substance AND nits.  Then came your snark.  I called you on it.  Then came your insults and innuendo, which you then carried to *THIS* unrelated thread!

That is beyond the pale of what I consider acceptable behavior.

Who gives a rat's behind what you consider acceptable? When you take ownership of this site, let me know. Otherwise, I don't care.

I reply in kind. If I attack, it's because you made it apparent that would be the environment.

You barely read what's posted, you make assumptions, you do much of what you accuse me of doing. Projection?

You are very worthy of contempt. And while you "don't forget attempts to smear", I simply laugh.
This is a little forum, in a little corner of the internet, so small, only a few of us notice it. You really should get over yourself. On second thought, don't. I like the entertainment you provide.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2016, 09:37:24 pm »
All Trump supporters are potential JimRob's IMO. First step is suspicious about "covert dems" or "concern trolls". There was a huge 26 page thread about this a week or back. "lots of dems on this board" or something.

Then came warnings from management about not calling Trump an "orange baboon".

Eventually the zots and viking kitties aren't far behind. Happens every time.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:37:40 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2016, 09:39:27 pm »

Coincidence?

Refugees from other sites, often banned.

Come here and run the good people away.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2016, 09:41:03 pm »
Refugees from other sites, often banned.

Come here and run the good people away.

Well, that's a really welcoming attitude!  New people are bad.   :thud:

Offline Relic

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2016, 09:43:00 pm »
All Trump supporters are potential JimRob's IMO. First step is suspicious about "covert dems" or "concern trolls". There was a huge 26 page thread about this a week or back. "lots of dems on this board" or something.

Then came warnings from management about not calling Trump an "orange baboon".

Eventually the zots and viking kitties aren't far behind. Happens every time.

Really? Let me know when zots and Viking kitties show up?
The only one I've ever seen suspended, not banned, worked very hard to earn that suspension. That user is back, and did tone it down.

You know what they call it when you're intolerant of those with opinions that differ from your own?

A bigot.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2016, 09:44:05 pm »

They left FR to form their own little FR.

Offline Relic

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2016, 09:46:09 pm »

Really? You're going to do it too.

TS's comment was regarding new users displaying certain characteristics in their posting style.
You get all, *ahem*, hurt and take it to mean all new users?

I don't let much annoy me anymore, but twisting someone's words in that way just irritates me.

Offline Relic

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2016, 09:46:59 pm »
They left FR to form their own little FR.

If you don't like it, there are options. And management has nothing to do with your options.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2016, 10:02:49 pm »
Really? You're going to do it too.

TS's comment was regarding new users displaying certain characteristics in their posting style.
You get all, *ahem*, hurt and take it to mean all new users?

I don't let much annoy me anymore, but twisting someone's words in that way just irritates me.

Nope, no twisting going on on my part.  You must have me confused with someone else.