Author Topic: Top Republicans believe Paul Ryan will be nominee  (Read 8324 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Top Republicans believe Paul Ryan will be nominee
« on: April 04, 2016, 01:28:47 pm »
http://www.politico.eu/article/top-republicans-believe-paul-ryan-will-be-nominee-us-elections-2016-american-president/

Top Republicans believe Paul Ryan will be nominee

The speaker of the House of Representatives is one of the best-wired Republicans.
By

Mike Allen

4/4/16, 2:47 PM CET

Updated 4/4/16, 2:50 PM CET

On the eve of the Wisconsin primaries, top Republicans are becoming increasingly vocal about their long-held belief that Speaker Paul Ryan will wind up as the nominee, perhaps on the fourth ballot at a chaotic Cleveland convention.

One of the nation’s best-wired Republicans, with an enviable prediction record for this cycle, sees a 60 percent chance of a convention deadlock and a 90 percent chance that delegates turn to Ryan — ergo, a 54 percent chance that Ryan, who’ll start the third week of July as chairman of the Republican National Convention, will end it as the nominee.

“He’s the most conservative, least establishment member of the establishment,” the Republican source said. “That’s what you need to be.”

Ryan, who’s more calculating and ambitious than he lets on, is running the same playbook he did to become speaker: saying he doesn’t want it, that it won’t happen. In both cases, the maximum leverage is to not want it — and to be begged to do it. He and his staff are trying to be as Shermanesque as it gets. Ryan repeated his lack of interest Monday morning in an interview from Israel with radio host Hugh Hewitt.

Of course in this environment, saying you don’t want the job is the only way to get it. If he was seen to be angling for it, he’d be stained and disqualified by the current mess.

But Ryan, 46, a likable Midwesterner, could look too tempting to resist as Republicans finally focus on a beatable Hillary Clinton. He got rave reviews for a “State of American Politics” speech on March 23 (hashtag on his podium: “#ConfidentAmerica,” the title of his high-minded manifesto at the Library of Congress in December). In the “State of Politics” address, Ryan offered himself as the anti-Trump (without mentioning The Don): “Politics can be a battle of ideas, not insults.”

On “Morning Joe” Monday morning, Joe Scarborough said that if Trump falls even one vote short of a clinch, the convention will “look for someone else”: “If Trump doesn’t get the number, they’ll say they have rules for a reason.” And Karl Rove told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt last week: “A fresh face might be the thing that would give us a chance to turn this election and win in November against Hillary.”

Top Republicans say “fresh face” is code for “Paul Ryan.”

A Ryan friend chuckled when we asked if he wants it, and pointed to last month’s address: “That was somebody who was laying out the speech that, in most cases, you’d give six months before you announce you’re going to run – when you’re going around the country, raising money for your leadership PAC.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: Top Republicans believe Paul Ryan will be nominee
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:40:08 pm »
Paul Ryan would be a wonderful loser. He would be dignified, and gracious as Hillary ran rings around him.

His concession speech would be well crafted, and heartfelt.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 01:42:46 pm »
If Ryan becomes nominee I hope he's learned how to pitch political woo because he was milquetoast last time around. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:05:19 pm »
Exactly.  Maybe that is what they want.  That way they retain control of the party.  Since they sellout to Democrats all the time anyway, it must not so much matter to them to win the WH or to remain the majority in the houses of congress.  What do they care so long as they can keep pulling the party strings.

It's a difficult business for Republicans these days. I agree, they seem as though they don't want to win the White House. Putting a Republican in the White House is just too much trouble. All that scrutiny and heightened expectations just don't seem to be worth the gains they'd get. Holding the Senate and the House is also a mixed bag. The definitely want the good committee chairmanships, and the ability to make things happen for the donor class, to keep the money flowing. But, again, the scrutiny is more than they like.

I think the rank and file Republican politician would be more than happy to be in the minority, filling his or her pockets with cash, while being able to claim that there is little they can do to control the course of events in Congress.

Cynical? Yes. Accurate? You tell me.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 02:13:27 pm »
Trump, on the other hand, seems affirmatively committed to putting Clinton or Sanders in the White House and squandering GOP control of Congress. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 02:17:42 pm »
Trump, on the other hand, seems affirmatively committed to putting Clinton or Sanders in the White House and squandering GOP control of Congress.

Trump is the symptom.

A rudderless, do nothing GOP is the disease.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 02:43:00 pm »
Ryan might not be bad. The Trump FR screaming mimis will have a fit but they complain no matter what happens. Romney would be terrible.

Time to stop listening to the screamers, IMO.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 02:50:59 pm »
Republican leaders no doubt understand the kind of damage that will be done by fighting Donald Trump's nomination. They understand it will give Hillary an edge, and some have even said a Clinton win would be better than a Trump win. Why do you think that is? Why are they so afraid of the outsider Donald Trump that they would be willing to give the election to Hillary to keep him out?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 02:53:46 pm »
Republican leaders no doubt understand the kind of damage that will be done by fighting Donald Trump's nomination. They understand it will give Hillary an edge, and some have even said a Clinton win would be better than a Trump win. Why do you think that is? Why are they so afraid of the outsider Donald Trump that they would be willing to give the election to Hillary to keep him out?

Nominating Trump would be the same thing as giving the election to Hillary. All the data backs me up. He's unelectable to all but a narrow slice of GOP primary voters.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 03:00:19 pm »
I'm not sure how. The couple of thousand delegates that go to the convention are not DC 'establishment', they are people from the local precincts who are pledged in some way to a candidate, a vast majority enthusastically so as they were chosen based on what they do for the local party and 'being there' in the precinct meeting and State meeting for their candidate. If someone doesn't immediately quality on the first vote, the candidate go to work convincing delegates to vote for them on the second, third, or whatever vote.

Trump or Cruz have far fewer to convince as they come in with a larger slate of loyal delegates.

Ryan would have to convince over 1200 delegates to abandon the loyalty they came in for him.

Same can be said for any non-candidate put up for a vote.

Offline Relic

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 03:00:52 pm »
Nominating Trump would be the same thing as giving the election to Hillary. All the data backs me up. He's unelectable to all but a narrow slice of GOP primary voters.

In 2012 Obama was a very weak candidate with not much in the way of accomplishments from his first term. The GOP approach, which I first noticed GWB using this tactic, was to appear to stay above the fray. They seldom attack their opponents, even on weaknesses, and often didn't address attacks by the opponents. Romney/Ryan managed to lose to a very beatable Obama.

Now, Hillary Clinton is an even weaker candidate than Obama was. Enter the Republican clown car of candidates, spilling out to conduct a food fight for all to see.

I believe the campaign has already been lost. And I still don't discount the idea that Trump ran as a way to ensure that a pathetically weak Hillary Clinton would win the presidency.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 03:18:41 pm »
Trump is the symptom.

A rudderless, do nothing GOP is the disease.

The GOP has won 31 state Governor offices, 34 State Assembly/House majorities and 36 State Senate majorities.

Rudderless?  Hardly.

https://ballotpedia.org/Gubernatorial_and_legislative_party_control_of_state_government

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:19:42 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 03:24:53 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 03:27:40 pm »
The GOP has won 31 state Governor offices, 34 State Assembly/House majorities and 36 State Senate majorities.

Rudderless?  Hardly.

https://ballotpedia.org/Gubernatorial_and_legislative_party_control_of_state_government

That's the problem.

"Ahem, bluster, bluster, The GOP has won this, that and the other. See! They are grand indeed!"

What has the GOP accomplished?
Is it possible that Democrats are so bad, that in many of those elections, the voters turned to Republicans in desperation?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 03:29:23 pm »
Is the establishment really that stupid and blind?

Yes, I believe they are.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 03:29:43 pm »
That's the problem.

"Ahem, bluster, bluster, The GOP has won this, that and the other. See! They are grand indeed!"

Is it possible that Democrats are so bad, that in many of those elections, the voters turned to Republicans in desperation?

Could it be that they're both so bad that voters don't know where to turn to in their desperation?
-Socrates

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 03:31:04 pm »
Could it be that they're both so bad that voters don't know where to turn to in their desperation?

Plenty of third parties to vote for. I don't excuse the voters. They bitch about Congress and our government in general but keep returning the same clowns every 2-4 years. I'm tired of the whining.

Offline Relic

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 03:32:12 pm »

And that explains Trump.

Offline Relic

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 03:33:00 pm »
Plenty of third parties to vote for. I don't excuse the voters. They bitch about Congress and our government in general but keep returning the same clowns every 2-4 years. I'm tired of the whining.

Because the party has nothing to do with the candidates we're offered, right?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 03:33:11 pm »
Plenty of third parties to vote for.

Yeah, it'd be great if both sides would stop perpetuating the fiction that third parties are impossible and a waste of our votes.
-Socrates

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 03:36:12 pm »
Because the party has nothing to do with the candidates we're offered, right?

That's why we have primaries. You want better candidates, vote for better people.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 03:38:43 pm »
That's the problem.

News flash:  Winning elective office is a pre-requisite to accomplishing things.

Wisconsin is a good example.   In five years, Governor Walker and the GOP legislature have disempowered public Unions, lowered taxes, built a surplus, enacted Voter ID, disbanded the corrupt Government Accountability Board, defunded Planned Parenthood, enabled "Right to Work" and other conservative reforms.    And, Donald Trump came into the state and trashed those accomplishments.

On the national scale there is this dirty little secret:   the GOP Congress has no power to stop a lawless Executive and a Senate with 45 Democrats who would block any reform.   That's just the fact.   Folks who are angry at the GOP are simply misdirecting anger more legitimately aimed at Barack Obama, Reid, Pelosi and Democrat congress members. 

I've stopped listening to, or caring about, the grievances of people too intellectually lazy to understand or acknowledge who is their ally and who is their enemy in this political war.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 03:38:53 pm »
That's why we have primaries. You want better candidates, vote for better people.

Better people would have a better chance if large amounts of money and connections to the establishment weren't a necessary part of being a relevant candidate.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:39:54 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Relic

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 03:39:33 pm »

Translation: "Things are going just fine, quit complaining!"

Let's talk about how well things are going after the election.

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 03:41:14 pm »
Translation: "Things are going just fine, quit complaining!"

Let's talk about how well things are going after the election.

Never said anything was fine. Things are pretty far from fine. I'm just tired of the whining. Don't mischaracterize my argument, son.