Author Topic: Let George W. Bush speak at the Cleveland Convention  (Read 633 times)

Offline sinkspur

Let George W. Bush speak at the Cleveland Convention
« on: April 04, 2016, 12:55:33 am »
A Dog Not Barking

by JAY NORDLINGER   

April 3, 2016 7:55 PM

There is much talk of the GOP’s convention in Cleveland this summer. Well, I have a wish for that convention, and it has nothing to do with Trump or Cruz. I want to see George W. Bush appear and speak.

He was frozen out of the 2008 convention, while he was still president. The GOP’s excuse was: weather. There was a hurricane somewhere, etc. Convention managers arranged for Bush to speak via an awkward video hook-up.

He said to his press secretary, Dana Perino, “Do you think they know they’re insulting me?” She answered, “Yes, sir. I believe they do.”

Bush did not appear at the 2012 convention either. Later, another ex-president, Bill Clinton, said smugly, “I was the only one at either convention who had anything good to say about George W. Bush.” (I’m going from memory, but I think that quote is right.)

After ’74, Nixon was treated like a pariah by the GOP. Rightly so (or certainly understandably so). If Bush is given the same treatment, that is appalling.

Republicans in general should not succumb to, or seem to endorse, the portrait of Bush painted by the Left, the media, and the anti-Bush Right (to use the politest term I can). They should not blush to have him on stage.

I hope Jeb speaks at the convention. And Mitt Romney too. And John McCain too. And if the Trumpite-Buchananite Right squawks, let ’em.

P.S. I appreciate the Bush family’s tradition of reticence, post-presidency. But a little reticence goes a long way. Sometimes reticence goes too far. When Clinton was dragging the country through the mud in the 1990s, I was longing for 41 to speak out. He was just about the most honorable guy in the country. And when the GOP frontrunner and his folk say that 43 lied us into war and imply a “trutherism” about 9/11 — 43 should leave his easel and let ’em have it.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:55:54 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Let George W. Bush speak at the Cleveland Convention
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:58:16 am »
It's time for the Republican Party to be heard from.

Bush should speak and stick a thumb in the eye of the conspiracy nonsense Trump spouted about 9/11 and the Iraq War.

By the time the Convention rolls around, Trump is going to be begging for support from wherever he can get it.

A-Lert

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:59:07 am »
Trumpite-Buchananite

:wtf!:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 01:07:47 am »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 04:06:41 am »
Republicans in general should not succumb to, or seem to endorse, the portrait of Bush painted by the Left, the media, and the anti-Bush Right (to use the politest term I can). They should not blush to have him on stage.

I hope Jeb speaks at the convention. And Mitt Romney too. And John McCain too. And if the Trumpite-Buchananite Right squawks, let ’em.

It isn't even close to just the so-called Trumpite-Buchananite right that knows
the truth within this portrait:

Reality check, Mr. Nordlinger: The ones you hope get to speak are the ones who helped
produce the mess we're in now. Well, maybe not Mint Rummy, since he didn't get
elected, but guess who had the whole Washington field to themselves and still tilled
the soils from which grew the abomination of His Excellency Al-Hashish Field Marshmallow
Dr. Barack Obama Dada, etc.? Nice going, gang. And you have the nerve to wonder
how a sleaze bucket like Donaldus Minimus, with all the Constitutional knowledge of a dried fig
and about that much of a program while he's at it, had room to turn the primary contests into
Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest: Fourth in a Trilogy . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 04:11:18 am »
I don't think it is any GOP conspiracy to shut Bush out. After that 8 years of his the American people had about enough of him to last a lifetime. Even I don't generally look back at him and go "boy was that great".