Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39566 times)

Wingnut

Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »
Nats will be 7-1 about 8 PM tonight....sweeping the Atlanta Braves.

Rare 4 pm start today.

DC.  What became of the Senators?  I'm drawing a blank

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 07:22:50 pm »

The Second Senators (the originals became the Twins starting in 1961) moved to Arlington,
Texas after the 1971 season to become the Texas Rangers. Today's Nationals are the team
formerly known as the Montreal Expos; they moved to Washington in 2004.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 07:24:41 pm »
The Second Senators (the originals became the Twins starting in 1961) moved to Arlington,
Texas after the 1971 season to become the Texas Rangers. Today's Nationals are the team
formerly known as the Montreal Expos; they moved to Washington in 2004.

Thank you ace!  It's all coming back now! 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 12:46:59 am »
Thank you ace!  It's all coming back now!

A little further moving history beyond the Dodgers and the Giants:

Baltimore Orioles---Born as the 19th century Milwaukee Brewers before becoming the St. Louis Browns.
New York Yankees---Born as the 19th century Baltimore Orioles; moved to New York to become the Highlanders
and, then, the Yankees.
Atlanta Braves---Born as the Boston Red Stockings before becoming the Beaneaters, Doves, and Rustlers,
before becoming the Braves; moved to Milwaukee for 1953; moved to Atlanta for 1966.
Oakland Athletics---Born as the Philadelphia Athletics; moved to Kansas City for 1954; moved to Oakland
for 1968.
Milwaukee Brewers---Born as the Seattle Pilots for 1969; moved to Milwaukee for 1970; named as the team
to have been named later and moved to the National League after the Houston Astros were moved to the
American League.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Wingnut

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 01:00:17 am »
A little further moving history beyond the Dodgers and the Giants:

Milwaukee Brewers---Born as the Seattle Pilots for 1969; moved to Milwaukee for 1970; named as the team
to have been named later and moved to the National League after the Houston Astros were moved to the
American League.

Ball Four!   Jim Bouton's team's

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 01:10:59 am »
Indeed, on Bryce Harper's 100th HR....a Grand Slam..the NATS sweep the Braves going to 7-1.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 01:11:56 am »

The Senators became the Montreal Expos.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 02:31:38 am »
The Senators became the Montreal Expos.

In whose dreams? ;)

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 02:41:23 am »
In whose dreams? ;)

Didn't they go there...and end up returning?   I don't know, myself, then.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 03:23:49 am »
Didn't they go there...and end up returning?   I don't know, myself, then.

No, they didn't. The Expos were created in the same 1968 expansion (for 1969) that created
the San Diego Padres, the Kansas City Royals, and the Seattle Pilots (who became the
Milwaukee Brewers starting in 1970).

The original Senators moved to Minneapolis for the 1961 season and became the Twins,
which sort of put a kink in the American League's expansion plan. The league planned
to expand to Minnesota (after the Giants---who'd had the territorial rights and
planned to move there originally, until they hitched their dinghy to Walter O'Malley's
ship and moved to San Francisco as the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles for 1958), but
when the Senators acquired the territorial rights and moved there, instead, the
league decided to put their second new expansion team in Washington---who became
the second Senators. (The other expansion AL team for 1961: the Los Angeles Angels.)

The second Senators moved to Texas and became the Rangers beginning in 1972.

Trivia: All four franchises in the first major league expansion were originally franchises
of a proposed third major league in the late 1950s, the Continental League. Originally
aimed at returning a second major league franchise to New York---after a huge uproar
over the politics that allowed the Dodgers and Giants to move west (short form: New
York planning and building fuehrer Robert Moses thwarted Dodger owner
Walter O'Malley's intent to build what would have been the world's first retractable-roof
ballpark when the Dodgers could no longer expand Ebbets Field or its parking)---the
league also challenged baseball's antitrust exemption to show it meant business.

Among the Continental League's prospective owners were one Joan Whitney Payson,
scion of the New York Herald Tribune ownership family and a die-hard baseball
fan. (Through her proxy M. Donald Grant, Payson was the only stockholder to vote
against the Giants' move to San Francisco.) The likely president of the league would
have been one-time Dodger president Branch Rickey, who spearheaded the Continental
effort along with a New York attorney named Bill Shea. The franchises included New York,
Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, and Denver; I forget the three others.

Anyway, the major leagues decided to ward off the Continental League at the pass
and agreed to expand. The National League awarded franchises to New York (the Mets;
Mrs. Payson was awarded the franchise, in fact) and Houston; the American League,
to Minneapolis and Los Angeles, until the incumbent Senators made their move.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:31:55 am by EasyAce »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 04:04:05 am »
I've long been impressed with the Marlins' two world championships so soon in the team's nascent history, each followed by a total teardown.   

The Phils are playing .500 ball right now,  and have three shutouts.   The cat we picked up in the Giles trade, Valasquez,  pitched a complete-game 16-strikeout shutout.   And seven scoreless in the start before that.   That's gotta make him NL pitcher of the week.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 04:23:28 am »
I've long been impressed with the Marlins' two world championships so soon in the team's nascent history, each followed by a total teardown.   

The Phils are playing .500 ball right now,  and have three shutouts.   The cat we picked up in the Giles trade, Valasquez,  pitched a complete-game 16-strikeout shutout.   And seven scoreless in the start before that.   That's gotta make him NL pitcher of the week.

That guy looks like he could be someone the Phillies can build around down the street if he keeps it up.
I like what I see of him so far.

Wingnut

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 07:58:43 pm »
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs are off to a mind-numbing start. The 2016 team is destroying opponents to the tune of a plus-43 run differential. That's the third-best mark -- and only one run off the best -- through nine games in the modern era. Let's take a look inside some of the numbers:

The Cubs are 8-1, tying the franchise record for the best start through nine games, last accomplished in 1969.

1969.  The season that shall not ever be mentioned again...ever!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 09:23:52 pm »
1969.  The season that shall not ever be mentioned again...ever!

Now, now, just because Durocher screwed the pooch . . .

Wingnut

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2016, 02:37:54 pm »
There is a lot to like in this years team.  Here is one:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:39:34 pm by Wingnut »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2016, 08:40:39 pm »
Meanwhile.....The NATS' Tanner Roark struck out 10 in 4 inning.....threw 121 pitches thru seven innings and had 15 strikeouts.

Relievers contributed for a new NATIONALS' record for K's in 9 innings with 18!  NATS go to 13-4 winning 2-0 over the TWINS.

Wingnut

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2016, 08:53:40 pm »
Now, now, just because Durocher screwed the pooch . . .
I didn't know the extent of his disfunction till I read your Milt Pappas piece.  Man .... what a piece of work.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2016, 11:23:52 pm »
I didn't know the extent of his disfunction till I read your Milt Pappas piece.  Man .... what a piece of work.

I was first made aware of Durocher's dysfunction when I read the Life article by William Barry
Furlong, "How Durocher Blew the Pennant," when it was collected in Jim Bouton's splendid (and
probably forgotten) anthology of writings on baseball managers, "I Managed Good But Boy, Did
They Play Bad."
Then, in 2000, came David Claerbaut's Durocher's Cubs: The Best Team
that Didn't Win
. Strictly in baseball terms, Leo Durocher's Cubs had a number of flaws that
were never addressed seriously so long as he managed the team:

* Durocher's old school bit him in the ass when he refused to seek any leadoff hitter superior
to Don Kessinger---merely because Kessinger was a middle infielder (and a terrific one defensively)
and, well, that's where the middle infielders always hit, Durocher himself having been one
in his playing days. (Could you imagine a team now putting a lifetime .314 on-base percentage
in the leadoff hole? Bud Harrelson's on-base percentage wasn't much better than Kessinger, but
the 1969 Mets's manager Gil Hodges wasn't fool enough to bat him early in the order all that
often, either.) Glenn Beckert, the second baseman who usually batted behind Kessinger, wasn't
all that much better. (His 1971 season---in which he hit a whopping [for him] .342 with a .367
OBP---was a fluke season.) And neither Kessinger nor Beckert was any real use on the
bases---they were no threat to steal and would have broken arrest records if they did it too
often. (Both men had sub-.500 stolen base percentages.) Durocher's failure to see what
they were, rather than what he thought they were supposed to have been, cost the Cubs
quite a pile. (The Yankees of the late 1960s to middle 1960s might have had a similar quandary
with Bobby Richardson except for two things: Richardson was an even more impossible
strikeout, and he was a flat-out contact hitter who made enough contact to survive, even if
his lifetime OBP isn't much different than the two subsequent Cubs.)

* Durocher overworked his starting rotation as long as he could get away with it and they
had blood counts and breath in their bodies. With veterans like Ferguson Jenkins it was one
thing; with a guy like Bill Hands---who was close to Jenkins's age but got thrown into a fire
under Durocher's hand after he came over from the Giants (in the same trade that made a
Cub out of catcher Randy Hundley) it was something else entirely. Hands pitched through
back trouble often enough, even in his big years with the Cubs; which leads to Durocher's
next flaw:

* He treated injuries like affronts to himself and the team. As happened often with Gene
Mauch's Phillies after the infamous 1964 collapse, Cub players under Durocher often
feared speaking up when they were injured to avoid one of Durocher's tongue-lashing
accusations of "quitter!" if and when they did. It's impossible now to count how many
Cubs were playing foolishly through pain.

* Durocher almost never gave his regulars adequate in-season rest. What a surprise that
most of them were burned out when the stretch drive turned critical mass come Septem-
ber 1969.

* Durocher rarely sought and was never offered much in the way of bullpen depth. He
might have kept his starters from exhausting themselves by stretch time if he had. He
had one very hot hand come his way early in 1968---Phil [The Vulture] Regan. Naturally,
Durocher rode Regan hard and put him to bed wet. (Literally, in a sense: the Vulture was
notorious for throwing a spitter nobody could detect.) Until the umpires finally got wise
to Regan's, shall we say, Staten Island sinker (after several years beginning with his
career year 1966, with the Dodgers, someone finally noticed Regan's secret: He tended
to sweat heavily enough, even on his arms, and he'd let the sweat roll down his arm
to let him load one up), Regan was probably in danger of washing himself up completely
otherwise. Regan went 10-5 for the Cubs with 25 saves in 1968 and 12-6 with 17 saves
in 1969, at a time when a closer's average assignment could go as many as four
innings. Sure enough, Regan began to wither in 1970; two seasons later, he was
finished, after landing with the White Sox. And neither Durocher nor the front office
made as much effort as they might have to develop or acquire worthy bullpen reinforcements,
especially knowing Regan was 31 when they acquired him.

(Irony: Regan might eventually have been bagged for the wet one, but earlier in his career
he had an amusing run-in with umpire Chris Pelekoudas: Pelekoudas called fourteen illegal
pitches on the Vulture for no good reason other than their movement---and Regan protested
to then-National League president Warren Giles. The balls from that game were examined
and nothing untoward was found on any of them. It only helped Regan's reputation as
a lancer in the end: always remember that if the hitter merely thinks you throw a
great spitter, you just shaved about 1.00+ off your ERA. And Regan ultimately did
learn his sweat ball . . .)

* Durocher habitually shifted some lineup positions without bothering to tell the players
in question until they saw the lineup cards. (Shades of Matt Williams, helping to dig his
own grave with the Washington Nationals last year.) He'd usually do this when players
hit slumps---never mind his blissful unawareness that his burning them out too soon
might have had something to do with those slumps. (Ron Santo was a notorious such
victim in 1970, and it turned Santo---who'd once been one of Durocher's staunchest
defenders---into another somewhat alienated player.)

* Durocher so despised unusual pitching or hitting styles that he dumped one of his
best relief pitchers, the submarine pitcher Ted Abernathy, in a trade with the Cardinals
for a reserve infielder. Abernathy had a successful 1970 in St. Louis and made the Cubs
look extremely foolish. Abernathy had proven his durability and losing him was a big
mistake with Phil Regan beginning to show the effect of his own overwork.

* Tank-like catcher Randy Hundley (it was he, not Johnny Bench, who was the first
major league catcher to catch one-handed, tucking his throwing hand behind his
back until the ball was in the mitt) was so hard-nosed a player that he
ended up with knee issues that wore him down before his time at a point where
the Cubs had nobody in the pipeline prepared to spell or succeed him.

Additional personality issues:

* He so alienated his younger players that Ken Holtzman, one of his better pitchers,
couldn't wait to get away from the Cubs; Burt Hooton, who looked so promising
in early 1972 when he threw a no-hitter at the Phillies, ended up with back issues
later in the season due to Durocher's peculiarities.

* Durocher seemed to go out of his way to alienate Ernie Banks himself---even if
Banks was aging, he'd earned certain respect---at a time when the only
consistent Cub five-tooler behind the aging Banks was fellow Hall of Famer
Billy Williams . . . and Williams just wasn't enough to carry a club.

* Acquiring a revolving door of patchwork or exhausted veterans and green kids
in foolish deals didn't do Durocher any favours. Of the few such veterans that
did prove useful Cubs, Joe Pepitone---the very haunted ex-Yankee---finally
couldn't take any more clashes with Durocher and walked out on the team
early in 1972, after he'd remade himself into a contact hitter who usually
picked up his base hits when they could move runners as well as score them.
(A wrist injury had sapped his once-formidable long-ball power.)

* Durocher had a habit of leaving the team unexpectedly and allowing wild
stories to be made up about it until he returned. It might have amused the
press but it couldn't have helped his standing in the clubhouse. (He did it
even during the heat of the 1969 pennant drive.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:26:09 pm by EasyAce »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 01:13:00 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7VNG-ihhPk

NATIONALS walk off on Chris Heisley's bomb in the 16th inning vs. TWINS>

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2016, 02:50:52 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2016, 12:42:47 am »
Citing 'gunfighter' mentality, Dusty Baker says most pitchers love challenging Bryce Harper
Eddie Matz

WASHINGTON -- By now, you’ve probably seen the clip of Bryce Harper standing on first base Tuesday night and going all Will Ferrell in "Wedding Crashers." Common logic says that Harper, ever the fun-damentalist that he is, was celebrating his fifth-inning RBI single. Then again, maybe he was just pumped that he got something to hit.

In his first plate appearance against the Philadelphia Phillies on Tuesday, Harper walked on five pitches. Technically, it wasn’t an intentional walk, but it sure didn’t look like starter Vince Velasquez wanted much to do with the Washington Nationals' superstar. In his second trip to the dish, Harper received an intentional walk -- the official kind. Later, in the seventh, Philly intentionally walked him again.

It marked the first time this season that Harper has tallied three walks in a game. Last year, he walked at least three times in a game on nine different occasions, which was eight more times than in his first three big-league seasons combined. On the year, he set a new franchise record with 124 free passes. Apparently, that’s the cost of doing business for Harper, who last year saw pitches in the strike zone just 41.1 percent of the time, second only to Cincinnati’s Jay Bruce. Not that Harper minds. Or admits that he minds.

“I have a really big faith in Zim and the guys behind me,” said Harper after the game. “I don’t mind getting on base. If that’s a walk or an intentional walk or a hit or whatever, I just want to get on base the best I can, the most I can for the guys behind me. Just take it one day at a time, go out there tomorrow and if he throws me a ball over the plate, I’ll try to hit [it].”

As it turned out, he didn’t have to wait until Wednesday. In the bottom of the ninth, with Washington trailing 4-3 and the tying run on base with two outs, the Phillies actually decided to pitch to Harper. Philly closer Jeanmar Gomez, who gave up a 10th-inning go-ahead homer to Harper last week, induced a groundout to end the game.

Gomez isn’t the only one manning up against the reigning MVP. So far this season, Harper’s been getting pitches in the strike zone 42.6 percent of the time. Although that’s still the 17th-lowest rate in baseball, you’d expect it to be even lower considering the gaudy numbers that Harper has been putting up.

On Wednesday afternoon, manager Dusty Baker said he’s not surprised that Harper still gets challenged in key situations like the one from Tuesday.

“A lot of the pitchers, they don't like running from you. These guys have never run from anybody from the time they were kids,” said the Nats skipper. “And they still like the challenge of facing the best. I saw that with Hank Aaron. They had him set up for an inside fastball and they just wanted to break his bat so they could go the phone and call their father and tell him that they broke Hank Aaron's bat.”

Then Baker went even deeper into the past for another parallel.

“You ever watch cowboy movies with Jesse James and all those dudes? You know how many young little dudes they killed that they didn't want to kill? I'm serious. It's the same. It hasn't changed. There's always a gunfighter that figures he can enhance his reputation by getting Bryce out or whoever the best is. So you can expect, there gonna be some young fools out there. This is what we’re lookin' for."

And when they find it, don’t be surprised if Harper goes all Will Ferrell again.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-nationals/post/_/id/1000/dusty-baker-cites-gunfighter-mentality-says-pitchers-wont-stop-challenging-bryce-harper

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2016, 02:29:03 am »
I looked at the power rankings of the MLB at CBS sports; some people like power rankings, others don't but all the big news outlets put them out.

Cubs are tops, Whitesox next, Royals, Senators.

If one doesn't follow baseball closely, it tells one a bit how things are going this season.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2016, 02:37:31 am »
I looked at the power rankings of the MLB at CBS sports; some people like power rankings, others don't but all the big news outlets put them out.

Cubs are tops, Whitesox next, Royals, Senators.

If one doesn't follow baseball closely, it tells one a bit how things are going this season.

The NATS were up there right behind the CUBS...but they just got swept by the Phillies.  AT FREAKING HOME!!

Here we go again!

Bryce Harper is looking for a penthouse in Manhatten.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2016, 12:54:53 am »
End of three Friday---my Mets 12, the Giants . . . zero

All in the third inning: RBI double, two-run single, RBI double, two-run double, RBI single,
RBI single, and Yoenis Cespedes crowning it with a grand salami.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 08:16:12 pm »

How lucky we are that we can drive 40 minutes North or South and see the  current TWO best major league ballplayers in the world?