Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39570 times)

Wingnut

Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2016, 06:59:36 pm »
Nope. It was a take-out slide, the very thing the major leagues are trying to stop.  Regardless of what happens, Odor is Nolan Ryan to Bautista's Robin Ventura.

:beer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3niGu9d_pY

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2016, 07:00:34 pm »
Nope. It was a take-out slide, the very thing the major leagues are trying to stop.  Regardless of what happens, Odor is Nolan Ryan to Bautista's Robin Ventura.

I have to agree with you.  Bautista's knee didn't even hit the ground until he was already beyond 2B. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2016, 07:42:02 pm »
I have to agree with you.  Bautista's knee didn't even hit the ground until he was already beyond 2B.

I just watched (again) a slow-motion video of the slide. Bautista's knee grazed the base as he
was landing, and as Odor began his throw on to first his right leg grazed Bautista's own right leg.

When Bautista got up, Odor shoved him first. Only then did Bautista extend an arm
to defend himself, at which point Odor threw the punch so many seem (ridiculously) to admire.

Sorry, there's no defense for Odor or the Rangers on this one. I don't care what kind of
"thug" Bautista is or isn't. You don't throw at a guy in his possible final at-bat of the
season against you over something that happened seven months ago. (If you want to send
him a message about how admirable you think his bat flip wasn't, you do it the first time
you face him---in spring training or, if you don't see him in spring training, the first regular
season game he plays against you. Even Bautista couldn't possibly have objected to that.)

Moreover, Bautista admitted he wanted to send the Rangers a message back about how thrilled
he wasn't to be thrown at in that circumstances. But he also said he wasn't trying to injure Odor
---and he succeeded in not doing so. He may have had intent with the late slide, but he never
left the proper basepath even in the slide itself.

My guess on discipline for the incidents:

* Odor---Eight games plus a fine. He was the no-questions-asked instigator of the brawl.

* Bautista---One or two games, since the Utley Rule probably applies, but if I was baseball's
disciplinarian I'd measure the circumstances and give him one game and a fine.

* Matt Bush, who threw the pitch that hit Bautista in the arm to open the inning---It would
depend on whether Bush acted on his own or under orders to drill Bautista. (Bush hasn't
commented about that part of it at this writing.) If he threw on his own, one game, considering
he wasn't ejected from the game and the warnings went out after he threw the pitch. The
major question: why on earth would Bush throw at Bautista when he wasn't even in the
Ranger organisation last October
? (Unless, if he threw on his own, he thought it would
ingratiate himself to his new teammates further . . .)

* Jesse Chavez---Three games. For being stupid enough to throw at Prince Fielder after
the warnings went out over the Bautista drill.

* John Gibbons---The Jays manager ran back onto the field during the big brawl even
though he'd been ejected earlier in the game. That's a big no-no. That'd get him one game
automatically, but he might get a second over the Chavez duster.

* Josh Donaldson and Kevin Pillar---They were the two most animated Jays during the brawl
itself. (Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre wisely bear-hugged Bautista away from the
scrum as a precaution.) Accounting for their looking out for a teammate, I'd give them
a game off each.

* Dale Scott---The umpiring crew chief for the series. Should have ejected Bush post haste
when he hit Bautista; the intent was only too evident. It might have kept things from getting
out of hand from there; it might even have kept Bautista from thinking about a message
of his own on the basepaths. A formal reprimand and even a fine wouldn't be out of order;
it's his job to be sure his crew controls the field.

* DeMarlo Hale---The Jays' bench coach, and acting manager since the third inning, including
when Chavez drilled Fielder. Reds manager Bryan Price got a game off when Ross Ohlendorf
took on a relief assignment and drilled a hitter with apparent intent; Hale should get the same.

* The Rangers' Brain Trust---From manager Jeff Bannister on down, they need to answer
for Bush drilling Bautista. If one of them gave Bush the order, the guilty party should get
two days' unpaid leave.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2016, 07:52:42 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-rangers-brawl-discipline-1.3585532

Rougned Odor, John Gibbons suspended for roles in Rangers-Jays brawl: reports

No official word yet from MLB

CBC Sports Posted: May 17, 2016 3:04 PM ET Last Updated: May 17, 2016 3:43 PM ET

l
Texas Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor has reportedly been suspended for eight games for punching Toronto's Jose Bautista, while Blue Jays manager John Gibbons has reportedly received a three-game ban for his role in the ensuing brawl.

According to multiple reports, Odor will appeal the decision to suspend him for eight games.

Follow
 Jon Heyman ✔ ‎@JonHeyman
odor plans to appeal his 8-game penalty #rangers

1:52 PM - 17 May 2016 · Florida, USA, United States
  121 121 Retweets   83 83 likes
Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan reported Odor has also been fined $5,000 US.

Follow
 Jeff Passan ✔ ‎@JeffPassan
In addition to his eight-game suspension, Rougned Odor was fined $5,000. I imagine his teammates will gladly chip in to help pay that off.

2:16 PM - 17 May 2016
  141 141 Retweets   109 109 likes
Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported that Gibbons has been suspended for three games for returning to the field during the brawl that followed Odor's punch. Gibbons had been ejected earlier in the game.

Follow
 Ken Rosenthal ✔ ‎@Ken_Rosenthal
Source: #BlueJays' Gibbons getting three games.
2:23 PM - 17 May 2016

Major League Baseball has not announced any disciplinary decisions, and there was no immediate word on whether any other Rangers or Blue Jays would be punished for their actions stemming from Sunday's brawl during a game in Texas.

The fireworks began when Texas pitcher Matt Bush beaned Bautista in the ribs, presumably as retaliation for Bautista's controversial bat flip after a key home run in the deciding game of the American League Division Series last season.

Bush plunked Bautista in the top of the eighth with Texas holding a 7-6 lead. Bautista ran to second on a groundout by Justin Smoak, with his brawl-triggering slide forcing Odor to throw wildly to first on an attempted double play. The Rangers were awarded an inning-ending double play on the so-called Chase Utley rule, which was put in place this season in an attempt to prevent dangerous slides. Bautista also ran afoul of the rule earlier this season during a game against Tampa Bay.

As Odor and Bautista argued after the slide, Odor shoved Bautista, creating enough space to wind up and catch the lunging Blue Jays right-fielder flush on the jaw with a punch. The punch caused both dugouts and bullpens to empty, with several players mixing it up near second base.

"I was pretty surprised," said Bautista, who was staggered but did not go down. "I mean, obviously, that's the only reason that he got me and he got me pretty good, so I have to give him that. It takes a little bit bigger man to knock me down."

Odor said Monday that he respects Bautista because he "plays hard."

Odor, Bautista, and Bush were are considered candidates for suspension, as was Toronto reliever Jesse Chavez, who hit Rangers hitter Prince Fielder with the first pitch after play resumed, triggering a second brawl. Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson and Texas bench coach Steve Buechele were also ejected from the game after the initial fight.

Blue Jays bench coach Demarlo Hale was tossed along with Chavez because he was filling in for Gibbons after the Toronto manager was ejected earlier in the game for arguing with the home-plate umpire.

Gibbons called the Rangers' attempts to seek retribution on Bautista "gutless."
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2016, 08:12:56 pm »

Sorry, there's no defense for Odor [...]

Oh, I'm not defending him.  Frankly, I wonder if he could be charged with assault. 

I still stand by my previous comment -- they're both idiots.  If they were my children, they'd both be going to bed without any supper.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2016, 08:17:30 pm »
No suspension or fine of Jose Bautista.

As it should be.  :tongue2:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2016, 08:19:54 pm »
Why exactly was Blue Jays' manager Gibbons suspended for three games?

Was it something he said about the Rangers being "gutless"?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2016, 08:26:18 pm »
Why exactly was Blue Jays' manager Gibbons suspended for three games?

Was it something he said about the Rangers being "gutless"?

He was ejected and came out of the clubhouse.  He also took the hit for Chavez chunking at Prince Fielder.

Bautista helped lose the game by taking that Utley slide.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2016, 08:31:36 pm »
He was ejected and came out of the clubhouse.  He also took the hit for Chavez chunking at Prince Fielder.

I would have given him just the automatic single-game suspension for coming out after
the ejection. If anyone should have gotten a siddown-and-shaddap for Chavez drilling
Fielder, it should have been bench coach DeMarlo Hale. He was the acting manager
when the Chavez drill was thrown after the warnings were given out.

I'm surprised Bush didn't get even a fine for throwing at Bautista. But I'd still like to
know whether he did it on his own or whether someone among the Rangers' coaches
ordered the pitch.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:32:25 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2016, 08:33:55 pm »

Bautista helped lose the game by taking that Utley slide.

You misspelled 'shitty'.    :laugh:

....damned autocorrect 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:35:38 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2016, 09:11:16 pm »
From our Did You See That Dept.---Elvis Andrus of the Rangers
got docked one game for throwing a punch. I couldn't tell in all the
replays I saw of the brawl where he even was!

Also, Josh Donaldson got a fine but no suspension. He was one of the
first two Jays out of the dugout when Bautista got punched out. I was
surprised Kevin Pillar didn't get fined---he flew out of the dugout with
Donaldson and was, according to a lot of stories about the scrum,
the most animated of the Jays' brawlers.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2016, 10:46:42 pm »
Based upon Odor's salary, wondering what 8 games being docked...comes to? 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2016, 12:30:22 am »
Based upon Odor's salary, wondering what 8 games being docked...comes to?

You ever heard of tip money? ;)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2016, 01:54:17 am »
How do you follow a 20-strikeout performance?

If you're Max Scherzer, apparently you do it by getting shut out by Noah Syndergaard and the Mets:

Curtis Granderson---hits the first pitch over the fence in the bottom of the first.
Michael Conforto---hits one out with two out in the bottom of the third.
Thor---Ten punchouts in seven innings.

2-0, Mets, your final.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2016, 02:03:38 am »

Thor---Ten punchouts in seven innings.

He's fun to watch, too.

Can you believe the Braves have scored 9 runs tonight?  And they're still down by 2.  *sigh*

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2016, 02:23:14 am »
He's fun to watch, too.

Just about all the Mets' starters are.

Can you believe the Braves have scored 9 runs tonight?  And they're still down by 2.  *sigh*

Does that say this year's Braves, or what?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2016, 01:30:00 am »

.....Bryce Harper's recent one-game suspension.   What exactly was it for?

You cannot say he came back out on the field after getting thrown out....BECAUSE THE GAME WAS OVER when pinch-hitter Robinson's ball went over the fence.          :pondering: :pondering: :pondering:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2016, 02:02:48 am »

.....Bryce Harper's recent one-game suspension.   What exactly was it for?

You cannot say he came back out on the field after getting thrown out....BECAUSE THE GAME WAS OVER when pinch-hitter Robinson's ball went over the fence.          :pondering: :pondering: :pondering:

There's a rule that you can't return to the playing field or the dugout after you've been ejected.
Plus, Harper was still P.O.ed at the ump who thumbed him and fired a few, shall we say, choice
words at said ump.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »
The MLBs Youngest Player Just Hit The Longest, Fat-Daddy Homer Of The Season [VIDEO].

Despite being only 20 years old, Rangers rookie Nomar Mazara is putting up veteran numbers.

“The Big Chill” — awesome nickname btw — has posted a .320 batting average and eight homers in 2016, the most recent of which was this 491-foot tater against the Angels on Wednesday, the longest yet this season.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/26/the-mlbs-youngest-player-just-hit-the-longest-fat-daddy-homer-of-the-season-video/#ixzz49m1c6O27
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2016, 05:39:07 pm »
It not even June and the Cubs are in a slide.   

Cubs   31-14 .689    

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2016, 05:41:01 pm »
It not even June and the Cubs are in a slide.   

Cubs   31-14 .689   

We are getting closer to the All-Star break...  :smokin:
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2016, 08:56:38 pm »
We are getting closer to the All-Star break...  :smokin:

AT this rate they will be .332 by sept 15th.   :pondering:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2016, 09:10:01 pm »
AT this rate they will be .332 by sept 15th.   :pondering:

The thing is....who are they losing to?  Are they sub 500 teams?   Are the league-known Aces facing them every series?

The one thing I notice with teams going into slumps...it's when everybody is/was approaching their AB like Home Run Derby.

The other night the O's and Nats  both hit something like 5 HRs each in a game and then couldn' hit sh*t for two days.

Wingnut

« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2016, 09:38:40 pm »
The thing is....who are they losing to?  Are they sub 500 teams?   Are the league-known Aces facing them every series?

The one thing I notice with teams going into slumps...it's when everybody is/was approaching their AB like Home Run Derby.

The other night the O's and Nats  both hit something like 5 HRs each in a game and then couldn' hit sh*t for two days.

Good Point.  I will look into that very thing this week since we have a long weekend to enjoy the boys of summer!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2016, 01:08:18 am »
Good Point.  I will look into that very thing this week since we have a long weekend to enjoy the boys of summer!

Finally!   The NATS go up 2-1 on Harper's TITANIC shot and Espinosa's 8th.       

Who the hell is Leeks?   Why does every pitcher look like Randy, Pedro, or Roger to them?