Author Topic: Trump 4th statement on abortion: 'Abortion is murder but don't change the law. Leave it the way it is."  (Read 13979 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-dont-change-abortion-laws/

Donald Trump: Don't change abortion laws

Donald Trump said Friday that he believes the laws regulating abortion should stay as they are, but he doesn't disagree with the proposition that abortion is murder.

The GOP frontrunner lit a fresh controversy this week with his shifting responses to a question on abortion policy. He said during an MSNBC town hall on Tuesday that he'd like to see the practice banned, and that women who undergo it should face "some form of punishment." But he quickly backtracked, explaining in a statement that while he believes it should be banned, the punishment should be levied on abortion providers, not the women seeking abortions.

Trump sought to clarify his position during an interview on Friday with "Face the Nation" moderator John Dickerson. The interview will air, in part, on Sunday's broadcast.

"A question was asked to me. And it was asked in a very hypothetical. And it was said, 'Illegal, illegal,'" Trump explained. "I've been told by some people that was an older line answer and that was an answer that was given on a, you know, basis of an older line from years ago on a very conservative basis."

Asked how he'd like to change the law to further restrict access to abortions, Trump replied, "The laws are set now on abortion and that's the way they're going to remain until they're changed."

"I would've preferred states' rights," he added. "I think it would've been better if it were up to the states. But right now, the laws are set....At this moment, the laws are set. And I think we have to leave it that way."

"Do you think abortion is murder?" Dickerson asked.

"I have my opinions on it, but I'd rather not comment on it," Trump replied.

"You said you were very pro-life," Dickerson followed up. "Pro-life means that...abortion is murder."

"I mean, I do have my opinions on it. I just don't think it's an appropriate forum," said Trump.

"But you don't disagree with that proposition, that it's murder?" Dickerson asked.

"No, I don't disagree with it," Trump eventually replied.

The back-and-forth over abortion wasn't the only political controversy involving Trump this week. He also stood by his campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, who's been charged with battery after allegedly grabbing a reporter's arm during a public event last month. And he suggested on Tuesday that he no longer feels bound by his pledge to support the eventual GOP nominee, complaining that the party has treated him "very unfairly."

Despite a chorus of critics assailing both moves, Trump told "Face the Nation" it hasn't been the worst week of his campaign.

"I think I've had many bad weeks and I've had many good weeks. I don't see this as the worst week in my campaign," he said. "But certainly, I've had some weeks, and you've been reporting on them, where that was the end. And then the next week, you see poll numbers where they went up and everybody's shocked."

"So yeah, people want to stop me because I'm leading by a lot," he added.

For more of the interview with Trump, tune into "Face the Nation" on Sunday. Check your local listings for airtimes.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Interview journalists, watching Matthews and now John Dickerson, realize that if you drill down and ask Trump the 3rd and 4th question, you throw him off balance and he says what he thinks he's supposed to say to satisfy his supporters.  Trump is going to face much more intense questioning now and not these softball stuff that Hannity throws out.

Now he's back to saying abortion is murder, but don't do anything about it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:58:45 pm by sinkspur »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I'm waiting for Trump to come out in favor of punishing the fetuses.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
He needs to borrow this from John Kerry.

Offline sinkspur

Josh Barro ‏@jbarro  2m2 minutes ago Manhattan, NY

Next week Donald Trump will endorse a one-child policy.

Offline sinkspur

Teddy Schleifer ‏@teddyschleifer  25m25 minutes ago Washington, DC

"It just shows Donald is desperately scared," Cruz tells Fox of attacks. "Donald is beclowning himself with his daily insults and attacks."

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
He's taking every conceivable position on the subject to capture all the supporters. Not a bad policy. :)

Offline sinkspur

Josh Barro ‏@jbarro  4m4 minutes ago Manhattan, NY

Real talk: Donald Trump was already not winning Republican voters who really care about abortion.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
Trump 4th statement on abortion: 'Abortion is murder but don't change the law. Leave it the way it is."

Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

Actually, I believe he has it just about right.

Roe v. Wade -is- "settled law". It's the law of the land, like it or not. It will never be changed, short of a Constitutional amendment. And that's not gonna happen.

But still, that reality doesn't change the reality of what abortion -is-, in the minds of many.

Again, Trump said it right.

That is all...

Offline sinkspur

Steve BruskVerified account
‏@stevebruskCNN
Trump spokeswoman:"he will change the law through his judicial appointments and allow the states to protect the unborn.There is nothing new"

I can't wait for some interviewer to asking him about legislating from the bench.

Offline sinkspur

Jeremy DiamondVerified account
‏@JDiamond1
.@realDonaldTrump spox Hope Hicks walks back Trump abortion comments to CBS. Says Trump WILL change law on abortion

So, Trump now has a FIFTH position on abortion.

Offline sinkspur

Liz Mair ‏@LizMair  12m12 minutes ago

Tana Goetz just worsened Trump situation on @CNN-- she just said even when Trump becomes President, law may not change. Pro-choice again!

A-Lert

Liz Mair ‏@LizMair  12m12 minutes ago

Tana Goetz just worsened Trump situation on @CNN-- she just said even when Trump becomes President, law may not change. Pro-choice again!

Who is going to reverse Roe vs Wade? Certainly not GOPers.

Offline sinkspur

Answer your own question.

A-Lert

Answer your own question.

I already have. But since you act as if you know it all, I figured I'd give you a chance to pontificate some more.

Offline NavyCanDo

Abortion wasn't even a topic of discussion in this election until Trump and his vulnerability to gotcha questions made it one. Regardless of what his real position is, and that I really don't know, Hillary and the Hillary Super PACs will drive even more women away from voting for the eventual republican nominee by scaring them to death - as if the numbers were not bad enough as it was. In fact Hillary is already playing an anti-Trump ad showing him making the punish women comment.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

A  5 / 4 Supreme Court Decision that's who.  But it's going to take a "real conservative" with integrity to balance the Court if given the opportunity during his term.   That "real conservative" is not Donald Trump. And as far as "integrity"...don't make me laugh. If the Donald has a litmus test you can bet reversing Roe vs. Wade is not a top consideration for him.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

A-Lert

Abortion wasn't even a topic of discussion in this election until Trump and his vulnerability to gotcha questions made it one. Regardless of what his real position is, and that I really don't know, Hillary and the Hillary Super PACs will drive even more women away from voting for the eventual republican nominee by scaring them to death - as if the numbers were not bad enough as it was. In fact Hillary is already playing an anti-Trump ad showing him making the punish women comment.

Wait til the sexual predator enabler ads come out. Hillary will go down like Monica Lewinsky.

Offline sinkspur

Wait til the sexual predator enabler ads come out. Hillary will go down like Monica Lewinsky.

Doubt it. Hillary talks about issues and Trump talks about Bill Clinton? 

Yeah. I can see that working out real well for a serial adulterer like Trump.

A-Lert

A  5 / 4 Supreme Court Decision that's who.  But it's going to take a "real conservative" with integrity to balance the Court if given the opportunity during his term.   That "real conservative" is not Donald Trump. And as far as "integrity"...don't make me laugh. If the Donald has a litmus test you can bet reversing Roe vs. Wade is not a top consideration for him.

Well in case you haven't noticed, it hasn't been a priority of the GOPers for the last two decades. You think the cavers are anxious to change now?

A-Lert

Doubt it. Hillary talks about issues and Trump talks about Bill Clinton? 

Yeah. I can see that working out real well for a serial adulterer like Trump.

Adultery and sexual assault are entirely different issues. Wait til some of Bill's victims who Hillary attempted to destroy start speaking out. I can hardly contain my excitement. :silly:

Offline sinkspur

Adultery and sexual assault are entirely different issues. Wait til some of Bill's victims who Hillary attempted to destroy start speaking out. I can hardly contain my excitement. :silly:

Trump's gotta talk about Bill Clinton because he's such a bleeping idiot himself on policy issues.
After the way Trump has treated women in the last two weeks
He'll be lucky if any of Bill's victims will be seen on the same stage with him

Bill Cipher

Calling Trump a flip-flopper would be an insult to real flip flops.

Offline sinkspur

Trump's back on his obsession with Megyn Kelly:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  41m41 minutes ago
Is it possible for @megynkelly to cover anyone but Donald Trump on her terrible show. She totally misrepresents my words and positions! BAD.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  17m17 minutes ago
If @megynkelly stopped covering me on her show, her ratings would drop like a rock! My h to h interview with @AC360 beat her by millions!

Bill Cipher

Trump's back on his obsession with Megyn Kelly:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  41m41 minutes ago
Is it possible for @megynkelly to cover anyone but Donald Trump on her terrible show. She totally misrepresents my words and positions! BAD.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  17m17 minutes ago
If @megynkelly stopped covering me on her show, her ratings would drop like a rock! My h to h interview with @AC360 beat her by millions!

He's got the hots for her bad!