Author Topic: Tesla Model 3 announced: release set for 2017, price starts at $35,000  (Read 727 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/31/11335272/tesla-model-3-announced-price-release-date-specs-preorder

After ten years of waiting, Tesla has revealed the Model 3, the vehicle that CEO Elon Musk hopes will take the electric car to the masses. At the unveiling of the Model 3 this evening at the company's design studio in Hawthorne, California, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said the car will deliver at least 215 miles of range beginning at just $35,000 — that's a bold claim, and an important one for Tesla to meet. Musk is "fairly confident" that deliveries will begin by the end of 2017, and "you will not be able to buy a better car for $35,000, even with no options." And it will be one of the safest cars in the world, according to Musk.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I saw one on the freeway a few days ago. It looked taller like a medium sized SUV/Crossover.

I doubt $35,000 will get all of the options, like auto trans big V8 etc. Oh wait.

Wrong century !!

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Relic

$35k is still a bit pricey for me.

An electric that gets 200 miles on a charge is pretty reasonable. If a couple of conditions were met, I'd consider an electric.

First, I'd have to be convinced that switching the energy demand from the gas pump to the grid makes any kind of sense, both fiscally and environmentally. I haven't researched it, so I don't know, maybe it does?

Second, the battery technology has to go one of two ways: Either develop super fast charging batteries so highway trips are possible, or, make the batteries universally replaceable like propane tanks. Pull into a service plaza, slide out your drained battery pack, and slide in a fully charged one.

It's going to be a while, I'm not sure I'll be around to see it.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Tempting. It is getting in the range of a BMW 3 series or Volvo S60. Aren't the charging stations somewhere around an additional 10K though?

Considering I mostly drive in town, a dozen miles a day or fewer and when I travel for work I rent. (or we take my wife's car), that would be pretty tempting just to have something different. I doubt I would see any significant savings over my current Volvo though with gas as low as it is.

Bill Cipher

Now if they'd only figure out how to get off some of the gov't subsidies they get, including subsidies to buyers.

Offline Frank Cannon

I love the way they look but I know a guy who has one and it is a service nightmare. Poorly built is an understatement and no dealer network.