Author Topic: Trump Abandons Pledge To Support Republican Nominee  (Read 3147 times)

PaleoConPrep

Re: Trump Abandons Pledge To Support Republican Nominee
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 07:43:47 pm »
You make a great point, Arne.  If Cruz is our nominee and we lose, Americans will have rejected who we are as conservatives.  If Trump is our nominee and we lose, Americans will have been given a false choice, and the left will have had its way in presenting conservatism as evil, because Trump embodies the negative stereotype the left has been presenting for decades.
No, Cruz does NOT represent "who we are as conservatives".(whatever that means)  He represents the religious right. As I've said MANY times before, conservatism is broad. There are Paleoconservatives, NeoCons, Libertarian Conservatives, and so on. Cruz represents a faction of  so called "conservatives". He certnly doesn't represent me. I view Cruz as a televangelist moron who panders to dumb evangelicals.( I am a devout Christian myself, but not a wacky Evangelical. I'm a Calvinist Anglican) He takes a radical Zionist position on Israel that I could never support. He pretends to have a moderate foreign policy, but I have a suspicion that he wants another war in the Middle East. It amuses me when he says " we are going to carpet bomb ISIS!" ( yeah ok Teddy. Your boy Bush created ISIS by destroying the Middle East)  Trump isn't ideal, but if he's honest about his positions, I'd support him. Cruz can NOT beat Hillary.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 07:47:07 pm »
Trump could lose all 50 SC delegates from South Carolina because he abandoned his pledge to support the GOP nominee.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,200770.msg827847/topicseen.html#msg827847
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 07:47:48 pm »
Cruz can NOT beat Hillary.

He might be able to.  But Trump certainly cannot.  Your vote for Trump is a vote for Hillary.  You may as well run full tilt into a brick wall, for all the good your Trump vote'll do you.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

PaleoConPrep

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 07:48:14 pm »
Trump could lose all 50 SC delegates from South Carolina because he abandoned his pledge to support the GOP nominee.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,200770.msg827847/topicseen.html#msg827847
So did Cruz

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 07:48:22 pm »
No, Cruz does NOT represent "who we are as conservatives".(whatever that means)  He represents the religious right. As I've said MANY times before, conservatism is broad. There are Paleoconservatives, NeoCons, Libertarian Conservatives, and so on. Cruz represents a faction of  so called "conservatives". He certnly doesn't represent me. I view Cruz as a televangelist moron who panders to dumb evangelicals.( I am a devout Christian myself, but not a wacky Evangelical. I'm a Calvinist Anglican) He takes a radical Zionist position on Israel that I could never support. He pretends to have a moderate foreign policy, but I have a suspicion that he wants another war in the Middle East. It amuses me when he says " we are going to carpet bomb ISIS!" ( yeah ok Teddy. Your boy Bush created ISIS by destroying the Middle East)  Trump isn't ideal, but if he's honest about his positions, I'd support him. Cruz can NOT beat Hillary.

You've been listening to the press.  Cruz is a constitutionalist.  He is not a preacher, though his beliefs influence his opinion, as it does with all of us.  He's a pretty standard issue Southern Baptist from what I've seen.

"Wacky Evangelical" - very Christian thing to say.   :pondering:

Cruz can and will beat Hillary.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 07:48:53 pm »

Trump damned sure can't beat Hillary. 

Look up Identitarians.  They come close to representing you.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 07:49:44 pm »
So did Cruz

Actually he didn't.  Trump's the only who came out and specifically withdrew his support.

PaleoConPrep

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 08:15:39 pm »
Actually he didn't.  Trump's the only who came out and specifically withdrew his support.
Ah yes, you again Sinkspur. During Teusdays Town Hall with Anderson Cooper, Cruz did not say he would support Trump if Trump were the nominee. He bounced around the question. This whole pledge thing is a joke.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 08:17:25 pm »

Cruz was a little more circumspect, but he did basically say he wouldn't support Trump if Trump was the nominee, so yes, he seriously bent, if not broke, the pledge.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 08:20:56 pm »

Thanks for the blanket insult to every Evangelical on this board. (Some of whom are Calvinists, your ignorance of such things notwithstanding).

It makes sense that someone who is so disrespectful of dedicated Christians would support the phony Trump......

LOVE the lie about Bush's creating ISIS too.

You're batting a thousand here.......  **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

PaleoConPrep

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 08:24:29 pm »
Trump damned sure can't beat Hillary. 

Look up Identitarians.  They come close to representing you.
Not really. I agree with a lot of things Identitarians say, but I'm not one myself. I'm a mix of Paleoconservative and Traditionalist Conservative.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoconservatism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditionalist_conservatism

PaleoConPrep

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 08:27:29 pm »
Thanks for the blanket insult to every Evangelical on this board. (Some of whom are Calvinists, your ignorance of such things notwithstanding).

It makes sense that someone who is so disrespectful of dedicated Christians would support the phony Trump......

LOVE the lie about Bush's creating ISIS too.

You're batting a thousand here.......  **nononono*
Did you read what I wrote? I didn't say ALL Evangelicals are dumb. I said Cruz panders to dumb, wacky Evangelicals.

A-Lert

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:54 pm »
You've been listening to the press.  Cruz is a constitutionalist.  He is not a preacher, though his beliefs influence his opinion, as it does with all of us.  He's a pretty standard issue Southern Baptist from what I've seen.

"Wacky Evangelical" - very Christian thing to say.   :pondering:

I guess you missed the comments of some of your compatriots here today about Pat Robertson.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2016, 08:33:57 pm »
Did you read what I wrote? I didn't say ALL Evangelicals are dumb. I said Cruz panders to dumb, wacky Evangelicals.

Gee that's big of you.

Thanks a bunch.

(And yes, I read what you wrote, and threw up in my mouth a little bit..... )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 12:40:15 pm »
Cruz was a little more circumspect, but he did basically say he wouldn't support Trump if Trump was the nominee, so yes, he seriously bent, if not broke, the pledge.

He didn't break his pledge so much as he modified it.   Cruz said something to the effect that he wasn't in the habit of supporting those who trash his family.  I'd say that's a reasonable and justifiable modification.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Bill Cipher

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 02:01:08 pm »
He didn't break his pledge so much as he modified it.   Cruz said something to the effect that he wasn't in the habit of supporting those who trash his family.  I'd say that's a reasonable and justifiable modification.   

I wouldn't split hairs quite so finely.  That is one thing that distinguishes us, and reality, from Trump supporters. 

A-Lert

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 05:50:40 pm »
 000hehehehe