Author Topic: Trump’s Threat on Pledge Could Cost Him South Carolina Delegates (THIS IS BIG!)  (Read 586 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://time.com/4278295/donald-trump-loyalty-pledge-south-carolina-delegates/

Trump’s Threat on Pledge Could Cost Him South Carolina Delegates

Zeke J Miller @ZekeJMiller  2:52 PM ET     

Donald Trump’s announcement that he no longer stands by a pledge to support the GOP has thrown his hold on South Carolina’s 50 delegates in doubt.

The Palmetto State was one of several that required candidates to pledge their loyalty to the party’s eventual nominee in order to secure a slot on the primary ballot. Though Trump won all of the state’s delegates in the Feb. 20 primary, anti-Trump forces are plotting to contest their binding to Trump because of his threat on the pledge Tuesday.

The loyalty pledge is nothing new in South Carolina, where it has been required for decades, but took on new focus in light of Trump’s public musings about a third party run or withdrawing his support from the eventual nominee if he is stopped at a contested convention.

When asked about if he still would pledge to support the eventual Republican nominee during a town hall Tuesday with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Trump said “No. I don’t anymore,” adding that he has been “treated very unfairly.”

Trump has been hiring staff to ensure he hangs on to delegates in what could be a messy convention fight, but the latest threat appears to be an unforced error on his part.

South Carolina Republican Party Chairman Matt Moore gave credence to the anti-Trump claims.

“Breaking South Carolina’s presidential primary ballot pledge raises some unanswered legal questions that no one person can answer,” he told TIME. “However, a court or national convention Committee on Contests could resolve them. It could put delegates in jeopardy.”

When Trump filed for the ballot in South Carolina he signed a pledge stating to “hereby affirm that I generally believe in and intend to support the nominees and platform of the Republican Party in the November 8, 2016 general election.”

South Carolina has yet to select delegates to the convention and it is a state where Trump may already be on the defensive with delegates. South Carolina delegates to the national convention must have been delegates or alternates to the state’s 2015 GOP convention, a requirement that benefits candidates who appeal to the establishment.

Those delegates would be bound to Trump on the first ballot according to state and RNC rules. The challenge, which could only be filed once delegates are selected, would seek to allow them to be free-agents on the first ballot, thereby keeping Trump further from the key 1,237 figure he needs to secure the nomination. Similar challenges could also be filed in other states that added loyalty pledges.

The potential fight over delegates comes as Trump is meeting with RNC chairman Reince Priebus Thursday.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:45:51 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Bill Cipher

Re: Trump’s Threat on Pledge Could Cost Him South Carolina Delegates
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:15:10 pm »
Ruh-roh.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »
This is BIG.  Trump could lose all 50 delegates.

Daniel Foster ‏@DanFosterType  27m27 minutes ago

Trump’s trouble in SC cast Rubio/Kasich/Cruz pledges to support Trump at debate in a whole new light. We pundits don’t know everything.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 08:17:12 pm »
This is BIG.  Trump could lose all 50 delegates.

Daniel Foster ‏@DanFosterType  27m27 minutes ago

Trump’s trouble in SC cast Rubio/Kasich/Cruz pledges to support Trump at debate in a whole new light. We pundits don’t know everything.

Except ... Cruz and Kasich also have recently denied that they would support the nominee.

So ... if all 50 delegates become unbound ... then the chances of going to convention are even higher. I wonder what impact this will have on the remainder of the primary process?  Will voters stay home realizing that their votes don't really mean squat anymore as it seems "We the People" aren't going to make the decision.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

HonestJohn

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:19:26 pm »
Except ... Cruz and Kasich also have recently denied that they would support the nominee.

So ... if all 50 delegates become unbound ... then the chances of going to convention are even higher. I wonder what impact this will have on the remainder of the primary process?  Will voters stay home realizing that their votes don't really mean squat anymore as it seems "We the People" aren't going to make the decision.

Once one party in a contract has failed to live up to it's terms, the other party is not required to continue honoring it.

Bill Cipher

Once one party in a contract has failed to live up to it's terms, the other party is not required to continue honoring it.

I don't think pre-emptive breach theory of contract law is going to suffice here.  This is politics, not law.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 08:22:14 pm »

Who cares? They didn't have any Florida delegates to begin with, so what do they care?

HonestJohn

I don't think pre-emptive breach theory of contract law is going to suffice here.  This is politics, not law.

Well, Trump did sign a contract.  And GOP rules allow South Carolina delegates to jump ship.  Trumps documented words on the matter plus his contract would make it very easy for those delegates to walk.

Bill Cipher

Well, Trump did sign a contract.  And GOP rules allow South Carolina delegates to jump ship.  Trumps documented words on the matter plus his contract would make it very easy for those delegates to walk.

I know, but it's a matter of politics more than a matter of contract law.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 08:32:43 pm »

I don't know what Kasich's said, but Cruz did not say he would not support the nominee, but instead skirted around the question not fully giving a yes or no answer.   I think it was a matter of interpretation.    Trump on the other hand said No.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 12:57:02 am »
I don't know what Kasich's said, but Cruz did not say he would not support the nominee, but instead skirted around the question not fully giving a yes or no answer.   I think it was a matter of interpretation.    Trump on the other hand said No.

Just a story now.  If it was the other way around Trump would be threatening to sue.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Interesting twist.

And if say those 50 would fall to Cruz, the total delegate swing would be 100, +50 for Cruz and -50 for Trump. Same for Kasich.

Not a small amount.
The Republic is lost.