Author Topic: GOP launches contested convention website  (Read 878 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
GOP launches contested convention website
« on: March 31, 2016, 05:58:21 pm »
The Republican Party on Thursday is unveiling a website to educate the media and the public on the rules of contested presidential nominating convention.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gop-launches-contested-convention-website/article/2587276

Looks like we're going through with this thing.

Bill Cipher

Re: GOP launches contested convention website
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:00:25 pm »
Given the circumstances, good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 06:15:00 pm »
Time to go to war.   The GOP should have given Trump the boot months ago.   So now it's come to this.   I say bring it on - and with no quarter given,  and no reconciliation with this cancerous evil.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:25:07 pm »
???  To educate the public??  How many Trump supporters do you think will actually go the website to learn about a contested convention?  My hunch is the only thing that they will hear is Trump telling them that he is being treated unfairly.  His objective all along has been to destroy the conservative movement.  I've stated this before;  the only way this is going to turn out civilly is if Cruz beats him outright.  Cruz knows it, Trump knows it and so does the RNC.  However, neither the RNC or the GOPe is doing much to help Cruz ... they'd rather hand the nomination to Hillary.  That way the country club and all the Kingmakers remain in tact.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 06:32:28 pm »
However, neither the RNC or the GOPe is doing much to help Cruz ... they'd rather hand the nomination to Hillary.  That way the country club and all the Kingmakers remain in tact.

C'mon, LB.  Fight for your guy,  but don't denigrate those of us who prefer other choices as "country club" Republicans in cahoots with "kingmakers".

There are only three candidates left.  Cruz has as much a shot as anyone else - probably a better shot - at picking up a majority of delegates from here on out.  If he's the nominee,  I predict the party will unite behind him.   But those of us who want other choices are motivated not by a desire to appease our country club friends, but because we can read the polls and know darn well that Trump and Cruz probably can't win in the fall.   

So I want to win.  So shoot me.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 06:34:13 pm »
???  To educate the public??  How many Trump supporters do you think will actually go the website to learn about a contested convention?  My hunch is the only thing that they will hear is Trump telling them that he is being treated unfairly.  His objective all along has been to destroy the conservative movement.  I've stated this before;  the only way this is going to turn out civilly is if Cruz beats him outright.  Cruz knows it, Trump knows it and so does the RNC.  However, neither the RNC or the GOPe is doing much to help Cruz ... they'd rather hand the nomination to Hillary.  That way the country club and all the Kingmakers remain in tact.

As Mark Twain said:
"A Man cannot be reasoned out of what he was not reasoned into."

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:35:46 pm »
Cruz passionately supported The Rump, even passionately, up until around Christmas when the Rump set his sites on Cruz.

So not really feeling many give-a-shits for Cruz either. And all the typical talk radio pablum of "GOP-e", establishment, Rino, blah blah blah blah... yeah it ain't working.

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:57:30 pm »
Pure fiction.  Cruz supported his own campaign, not Trump's.  He was not combative with any of the candidates until they became combative with him.

If the GOPe tries to hand the nominee to one of their own tribe, that nominee will fair WORSE than Trump.  All the majorities that voted Trump or Cruz will be angry.  That includes Kasich, Bush, Trump, Romney, Ryan, Rubio, etc.

I watched the debates objectively, and was impressed with Cruz. I like the guy, but he built the Rump up too.

Would I be able to vote for Cruz? Absolutely.

Cruz has other problems. A reporter asked him the other day if he was faithful to his wife over his marriage. He refused to answer.

This will be a problem in the general.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 06:59:09 pm »
???  To educate the public??  How many Trump supporters do you think will actually go the website to learn about a contested convention?  My hunch is the only thing that they will hear is Trump telling them that he is being treated unfairly.   His objective all along has been to destroy the conservative movement.  I've stated this before;  the only way this is going to turn out civilly is if Cruz beats him outright.  Cruz knows it, Trump knows it and so does the RNC.  However, neither the RNC or the GOPe is doing much to help Cruz ... they'd rather hand the nomination to Hillary.  That way the country club and all the Kingmakers remain in tact.

Answer:  NONE.  Trump supporters will, as you said, definitely cry "UNFAIR!!"  They will scream "I've been DISENFRANCHISED!!" because they don't know the rules, and don't care to know the rules.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:05:03 pm »
Let's post the rest of the article....   
The move is the latest concession by GOP officials that the party is close to holding its first congested convention since 1976, when Ronald Reagan challenged President Gerald Ford. Since then, the quadrennial convention has functioned as a made-for-television pep rally to promote the presumptive Republican nominee.

"ConventionFacts.gop is a tool for voters to learn about convention delegates, rules, and how the overall process works in a simple, easy to understand format," RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said in a statement provided to the Washington Examiner. "Conventions are democracy in action and our Party's gathering in Cleveland will be an exciting, transparent, and fair process."

This year, the Cleveland convention could turn into a floor battle for GOP delegates between front-runner Donald Trump, the New York billionaire; Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas; Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, and possibly a dark horse candidate. Unfamiliarity with the process has led to wild speculation about the rules governing the process and rumors that party leaders might work to "steal" the nomination from Republican primary voters.

Priebus has spent considerable time trying to explain that any contested convention would run according to long-established rules. This new website is another part of that effort. Winning the nomination requires winning the vote 1,237 delegates in a vote on the convention floor. Most delegates are bound on the first ballot to the candidate that won the primary in their home state, after which they become free agents.

The Republican Party has met every four years since 1856 to nominate a presidential candidate. Although the modern nomination process has been dominated by voters participating in primaries and caucuses in the states and U.S. territories, candidates are still officially nominated by delegates to the national convention that are elected at the state and local level.

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 07:08:25 pm »
Donald Trump

Just had a very nice meeting with @Reince Priebus and the @GOP. Looking forward to bringing the Party
together --- and it will happen!

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 07:09:23 pm »
If Trump doesn't have 1237 going into the convention, he won't be the nominee.  I'm willing to bet considerable coin on that.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 07:09:38 pm »
Donald Trump

Just had a very nice meeting with @Reince Priebus and the @GOP. Looking forward to bringing the Party

When Pigs fly.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 07:10:35 pm »
Donald Trump

:bigsilly:

I don't think he has enough blackmail on enough people to pull that off.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 07:12:12 pm »
Donald Trump

Then shut your mouth. Every time you open it, you drive more voters away.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 07:15:15 pm »
Donald Trump

Ooooooo................ shouldn't that make his lackeys mad??  I mean, don't they support him and adore him because he was taking a wrecking ball to the GOPe, and destroying the Republican party?

How can they tolerate this "bringing the Party together" crap?

Oh, yeah............ they don't require truth-telling from Trump, so he's still perfect in their goo-goo-googly eyes.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 07:15:55 pm »
Then shut your mouth. Every time you open it, you drive more voters away.

Even if he had the will to shut up he doesn't have the ability to keep his yap shut. 

Bill Cipher

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 07:16:37 pm »
Ooooooo................ shouldn't that make his lackeys mad??  I mean, don't they support him and adore him because he was taking a wrecking ball to the GOPe, and destroying the Republican party?

How can they tolerate this "bringing the Party together" crap?

Oh, yeah............ they don't require truth-telling from Trump, so he's still perfect in their goo-goo-googly eyes.

Good point.  If Trump's tweet is true, then he's already come over to the "dark" side and has already thoroughly betrayed his supporters.