Author Topic: British scientist Hawking says Mars will be colonized by humans in next 100 years  (Read 2169 times)

Bill Cipher

Why would we endanger human lives when we could use robots instead?

First, because of the adventure; second, because robots won't be sufficient unto the task.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
robots won't be sufficient unto the task.

I think you're underestimating humanity big time. Ever since we came to be we've pushed limits, broken barriers and achieved the impossible. I think that trend will continue. We came into the 20th century on horseback and left in a space shuttle. What will we achieve in the next few centuries?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Bill Cipher

I think you're underestimating humanity big time. Ever since we came to be we've pushed limits, broken barriers and achieved the impossible. I think that trend will continue. We came into the 20th century on horseback and left in a space shuttle. What will we achieve in the next few centuries?

I'm not underestimating anything.  Remember all the rosy forecasts from the 1950s and 1960s about how we'd be powering around in floating cars and jet packs, and taking the Pan Am clipper to the Moon by now?  Didn't happen because the challenges are so great.  An autonomous robot that can operate in an almost totally unknown environment millions of miles away from Earth is going to be much, much more complicated.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
I'm not underestimating anything.  Remember all the rosy forecasts from the 1950s and 1960s about how we'd be powering around in floating cars and jet packs, and taking the Pan Am clipper to the Moon by now?  Didn't happen because the challenges are so great.  An autonomous robot that can operate in an almost totally unknown environment millions of miles away from Earth is going to be much, much more complicated.

Too bad neither of us will be around to brag about the accuracy of our prediction.  :laugh:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Bill Cipher

Too bad neither of us will be around to brag about the accuracy of our prediction.  :laugh:

Too bad indeed!

:beer: