Author Topic: Donald Trump berates Scott Walker for not raising taxes in Wisconsin  (Read 2527 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/29/donald-trump-scott-walker-wisconsin-taxes-cruz-endorsement

Donald Trump berates Scott Walker for not raising taxes in Wisconsin

Ben Jacobs in Washington

Tuesday 29 March 2016 12.07 EDT Last modified on Tuesday 29 March 2016 12.09 EDT

Donald Trump attacked Wisconsin governor Scott Walker for failing to raise taxes in order to properly fund schools and roads on Tuesday, in a startling new break from rightwing orthodoxy from the Republican frontrunner.

The comments came after Walker endorsed Trump’s rival, Texas senator, Ted Cruz, in the GOP race.

Walker became a conservative hero for his efforts to crush public sector unions and cut government spending in the Democratic-leaning state in Wisconsin, something that led to an attempted recall of the Wisconsin governor in 2012 and became a national cause célèbre. But, in a radio interview with talkshow host Michael Koolidge on Tuesday, Trump bashed Walker’s administration.

“There’s a $2.2bn deficit and the schools were going begging and everything was going begging because he didn’t want to raise taxes ’cause he was going to run for president,” said Trump. “So instead of raising taxes, he cut back on schools, he cut back on highways, he cut back on a lot of things.”

Trump also added of the Badger State in general: “Wisconsin has a lot of problems, plus there is tremendous hatred … I wouldn’t exactly say that things are running smoothly.”

Walker, who briefly was a presidential candidate and considered a top contender for the GOP nomination, dropped out of the presidential race in September with an unheeded call for Republican rivals to consolidate around an alternative to him. In the interview, Trump said of Walker’s campaign: “We sent him packing like a little boy.”

Trump’s statements come just one week before Wisconsin’s crucial primary. The state, which awards 42 delegates to the Republican National Convention, represents the best opportunity for the frontrunner’s opponents to beat him before the campaign moves to more favorable terrain for Trump in the north-east later in April.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Donald Trump berates Scott Walker for not raising taxes in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 04:39:26 pm »
I can't imagine why conservatives wouldn't want to vote for Trump now.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 04:43:40 pm »
Wisconsin actually ended its last fiscal year with a $135 million surplus:

http://www.maciverinstitute.com/2015/10/wisconsin-ends-fiscal-year-2015-with-135-million-surplus/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 04:46:56 pm »
Lower taxes are literally the core of Republican principle. Even the GOPe tries to get them passed.

Other than a border wall and fair trade deals, what does Trump's platform have left in common for Republicans to support?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 04:47:15 pm »
Astounding in some ways, others it is not.  I believe it is a calculated move to overcome his declining prospects in the Badger State.  It is a ploy to lure considerable union members and Madison-type liberal elite who are still very angry at Walker.  It is a means-justifies-the-results ploy.  Not saying other politicos haven't done similar, just stating what it is.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 04:47:30 pm »
The comments came after Walker endorsed Trump’s rival, Texas senator, Ted Cruz, in the GOP race.
About as predictable as the moon.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 04:48:54 pm »
Astounding in some ways, others it is not.  I believe it is a calculated move to overcome his declining prospects in the Badger State.  It is a ploy to lure considerable union members and Madison-type liberal elite who are still very angry at Walker.  It is a means-justifies-the-results ploy.  Not saying other politicos haven't done similar, just stating what it is.

Yep. Wisconsin is an open primary state.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 04:48:58 pm »
Next thing to watch for - some expressed sympathies to the plight of unions in Wisconsin.  If he does that, even implicitly, it is desperation time.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 05:03:21 pm »
This is an unfair attack on Our DonaldTM. Obviously he knows better than Governor Walker how to run Wisconsin.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 05:25:15 pm »
Trump is more predictable than a shocking outfit on Lady Gaga. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 05:27:36 pm »
Lower taxes are literally the core of Republican principle. Even the GOPe tries to get them passed.

Other than a border wall and fair trade deals, what does Trump's platform have left in common for Republicans to support?

He picks at scabs and scratches itches 'til they're raw and bleeding - because that's what makes his besotted supporters love him.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 05:28:04 pm »

Perhaps the next time he appears, he should be covered only in raw meat.

I mean, the guy craves attention.  Why not?  He'd get his "look at me" fix.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 05:28:57 pm »

Now that's an unfair attack. Have you seen Lady Gaga lately? She has really classed up. Comparing her to Trump is just low.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 05:37:39 pm »
So, how many of the Cruz haters are now going to turn on Walker, without so much as acknowledging their prior support for him as a champion of conservative values. 

A-Lert

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 06:10:53 pm »

The most insightful comment on the subject.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 06:17:01 pm »
Now that's an unfair attack. Have you seen Lady Gaga lately? She has really classed up. Comparing her to Trump is just low.

I might well plead guilty to a charge of not closely following the daily trends of popular culture. But if Ms. Gaga has now cleaned up her act, I imagine that to be a good thing. And yet, both she and Mr. Trump are noted exhibitionists.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 06:18:29 pm »
So, how many of the Cruz haters are now going to turn on Walker, without so much as acknowledging their prior support for him as a champion of conservative values.

A lot of Trump people claimed to support Cruz, but never did, and now have revealed that they despise him. 

There's no doubt that the Trump people will now turn on Walker as well.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 06:19:01 pm »
I might well plead guilty to a charge of not closely following the daily trends of popular culture. But if Ms. Gaga has now cleaned up her act, I imagine that to be a good thing. And yet, both she and Mr. Trump are noted exhibitionists.

Yes.  She's a diva with talent.  He's a diva without......

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 06:27:50 pm »

Yep, he's been trying to cobble a mainstreet business/worker coalition from the start. Not well mind you, but that's his goal.

He's practically running as an old time union democrat meets Nixon at this point.
The Republic is lost.