Author Topic: Trump's Popularity Nosedives In Critical Stretch  (Read 2117 times)

Offline libertybele

Trump's Popularity Nosedives In Critical Stretch
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:35:56 pm »
Trump's popularity nosedives in critical stretch

Donald Trump wasn't wildly popular to begin with. And now he's becoming even more disliked among American voters, creating a significant threat to his chances of winning the Republican presidential nomination.

Trump is, by far, the GOP delegate leader – and the only candidate with a realistic shot at winning a majority of delegates before the July convention. But at the same time, nearly two-thirds of Americans view Trump unfavorably – and his image rating has declined since Republican voting began in February.

The danger for Trump is two-fold: His declining popularity is taking a toll on his standing in the 17 states that will hold primaries between now and the end of the process in early June. Losing some of these states – or even winning fewer delegates in proportional states – makes it more difficult for Trump to secure a pre-convention majority of 1,237 delegates.

That’s where Trump’s horrific poll numbers could haunt him again: If Trump misses the threshold to win the nomination outright in bound delegates, it will be more difficult to convince unbound delegates to put him over the top if they see him as a general election disaster-in-the-making due to his high unfavorability ratings among all voters.

How bad are Trump’s image ratings? The HuffPost Pollster average of recent national polls puts Trump’s favorability at only 31 percent, while 63 percent view him unfavorably.

That’s a notable decline from late January, on the eve of the first votes in the GOP nominating process, when Trump’s average favorability rating was 37 percent, with 57 percent viewing him unfavorably.

Trump is hardly alone: Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz are also viewed unfavorably by majorities of Americans, according to polling averages. Only John Kasich and Bernie Sanders – both of whom haven’t faced many negative attacks from either party – have positive image ratings.

Among Republicans, Trump’s numbers aren’t stellar, but they have been durable – even as the other GOP candidates have trained their fire on him. Polls earlier this month from CNN/ORC and Quinnipiac University show Trump’s overall favorability rating tanking, but the figures are virtually unchanged among Republicans: A little more than 60 percent view him favorably, and about a third have an unfavorable opinion of him.

But the remainder of Republican primaries – which resume next week in Wisconsin – will be held at the state level. And in a three-way race with Cruz and Kasich, the forces aiming to halt Trump’s march to the nomination will continue to chip away further at Trump’s image.

Some of the anti-Trump groups have chosen to target female Republicans, betting that Trump’s past – and some current – statements about women would alienate those voters. Data from the states that have already voted bear that out: Trump has run, on average, 7 points better among male voters in the 17 states where there have been entrance or exit polls, than among female voters...

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/trumps-popularity-nosedives-in-critical-stretch-221320#ixzz44IpSwPLn
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Trump's Popularity Nosedives In Critical Stretch
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:48:11 pm »
Do the Trump supporters understand that if Cruz ran a Trump style campaign, that Cruz would not be my candidate?

The ship left a long time ago for Trump to be presidential. I have maintained all along that if Trump were the nominee I'd vote for him, or at least against Hillary.

Now even that's just a coin toss.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 04:17:05 pm »
I also tend to believe that Trump supporters don't realize that the primaries he has won are predominately open primaries where the DEMS are voting for him in hopes to have a Clinton v. Trump election where he will fail miserably.

Polls indicate that his favorablity rating is sitting right around 35% and showing Hillary with an 11 point lead.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 04:34:59 pm »
Meanwhile in Wisconsin:

David Freddoso
‏@freddoso David Freddoso Retweeted Justin Green
Trump slams Walker for failing to raise taxes.

In other news, why would conservatives hesitate to vote for Trump?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:34:15 pm »
Meanwhile in Wisconsin:

David Freddoso
‏@freddoso David Freddoso Retweeted Justin Green
Trump slams Walker for failing to raise taxes.

In other news, why would conservatives hesitate to vote for Trump?

On my big 3 issues taxes, military, and abortion Trump gets failing grades, but then I don't claim to be a conservative anymore.

A-Lert

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:43:58 pm »
"Trump is hardly alone: Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz are also viewed unfavorably by majorities of Americans, according to polling averages. Only John Kasich and Bernie Sanders – both of whom haven’t faced many negative attacks from either party – have positive image ratings."

There you go. The US voters want the government to take care of them. We already have a nearly $20 trillion dollar debt and the voters apparently want more. Pathetic.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:17:36 pm »
"Trump is hardly alone: Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz are also viewed unfavorably by majorities of Americans, according to polling averages. Only John Kasich and Bernie Sanders – both of whom haven’t faced many negative attacks from either party – have positive image ratings."

Neg ratings aside ,  the only candidate showing signs of a mental illness is Trump.  I don't want a mental defect in the Whitehouse.

A-Lert

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 08:52:20 pm »
Neg ratings aside ,  the only candidate showing signs of a mental illness is Trump.  I don't want a mental defect in the Whitehouse.

Your Doctorate  was granted from which institution of higher learning?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 09:20:36 pm »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 12:30:30 am »
Some of us work for a living.

A-Lert

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 01:04:15 am »
Some of us work for a living.

I didn't notice any long periods without posts here today, did you?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 07:16:46 am »
Your Doctorate  was granted from which institution of higher learning?

Another personal attack from a Trump supporter.

I guess this sort of thing is condoned by the mods here? So we can't call Trump an orange baboon but the Trumpanzees are allowed to run amok and make the personal attacks they want?

A-Lert

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 07:19:58 am »

I guess this sort of thing is condoned by the mods here? So we can't call Trump an orange baboon but the Trumpanzees are allowed to run amok and make the personal attacks they want?

:mauslaff: Asking for credentials is a personal  attack? 88finger point

Offline Mod2

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 08:08:28 am »

That is in no way, shape, or form a personal attack.

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 08:51:46 am »
I didn't notice any long periods without posts here today, did you?
What A-lert meant to say was you are a man of exceptional intelligence and insight.  This forum is blessed to have your experiences shared with us.  You have a sharp sense of humor, and an exceptional grasp of the American language for a foreigner.

Your unique insights are always welcome, and though you have betrayed yourself as unimpressed by Mr. Trump, I would hope that his supporters, like DC, Alignecare, and Alicewonders would speak up now in support of your fairness and even temperament.  I know they all respect you, and I invite them all to sing their praises of you....not to give strength to the anti-Trump side, but to show they recognize your value to this forum, and to show that alliances do not trump basic human decency.

It would mean more from them than it does from me. 

You know I love you in a purely platonic sense. 

Like one man loves another man...uhhh...for his automotive skills. 
Not for his sweaty, greasy, chiseled physical appearance.
shirtless and muscled.
(pant)

I'm just kidding EC.  I like girls.
I've heard the English have cattle and goats.
please send me pictures of your female livestock.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 08:53:38 am »
Why, of course!

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 08:55:04 am »
Why, of course!

it is kind of scary how fast you found that picture...but man is she hot.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 08:56:45 am »
I keep it on file in case I meet a Welshman.  :laugh:

Just kidding. I used it in an article on laws we're going to need thanks to genetic engineering, so I remembered it. I mean, two Scots, one sheep - what do you think the REAL motivation was for cloning Dolly the Sheep?  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:59:23 am by EC »

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 02:34:44 pm »
Why, of course!

Nice.  Does she have a sister?