Author Topic: Kids Shouldn’t Take Algebra Because It’s TOO HARD!  (Read 2078 times)

rangerrebew

Kids Shouldn’t Take Algebra Because It’s TOO HARD!
« on: March 28, 2016, 10:36:01 pm »
Kids Shouldn’t Take Algebra Because It’s TOO HARD!

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/kids-shouldnt-take-algebra-because-its-too-hard

March 28, 2016| by Robert Gehl

Because it’s really hard and lots of American kids are failing it, one professor says we should just stop teaching algebra.

Professor Andrew Hacker’s new book, “The Math Myth and Other STEM Delusions” argues that requiring American students to pass a course in basic algebra as a graduation requirement is a forbidding deterrent causing millions of kids to drop out of high school.

“One out of 5 young Americans does not graduate from high school. This is one of the worst records in the developed world. Why? The chief academic reason is they failed ninth-grade algebra,” Hacker said.

The professor also claims that a measly 5 percent of all occupations — and perhaps less — require algebra or any other sort of advanced math.

Instead of learning how to solve rudimentary equations, Hacker argues, American high schoolers should be presented with a math curriculum concentrating on statistics and number sense. (Number sense is an en-vogue academic buzzword for the ability to estimate and compare numbers.)

“Will algebra help you understand the federal budget?” Hacker — not much of a Keynesian man, apparently — asked, according to the AP.

Without question, algebra has long proven to be a stumbling block for many students. Well over half of the nation’s community college students end up in remedial math — and a large percentage fails to pass it.

“This is where their hopes and aspirations go to die,” Karon Klipple of the Carnegie Foundation’s Community College Pathways program told the Associated Press. “They’re in college to try to make a better life for themselves, and they’re stopped by mathematics.”

On the high school level, only 52 percent of the students in New York City’s public schools who took a statewide Algebra I Regent’s test in 2015.

Isaiah Aristy, a recent New York City public school graduate who now seeks a career as a police officer, failed the test on both of his tries.

“We don’t need to learn what x and y is,” Aristy assured the AP. “When in life are we going to write on paper, ‘X and y needs to be this?’”

Hacker’s book explaining the uselessness of algebra currently has 17 reviews on Amazon.

Champions of the book call it “a revolutionary challenge to the American education system, and long overdue.”

Critics suggest that Hacker, a political scientist, “lacks sufficient understanding of mathematics.”

Hacker has written several books. He is also a frequent contributor to The New York Review of Books on a wide variety of topics.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:36:51 pm by rangerrebew »

Bill Cipher

Re: Kids Shouldn’t Take Algebra Because It’s TOO HARD!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:37:25 pm »
:facepalm2:

A-Lert

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 11:01:21 pm »
“One out of 5 young Americans does not graduate from high school. This is one of the worst records in the developed world. Why? The chief academic reason is they failed ninth-grade algebra,” Hacker said

From what I've witnessed another 2 out of 5 shouldn't have graduated and it has nothing to do with ninth-grade algebra. How about all those who can't read, write, do simple math, find their home state on a US map or pin the tail on a donkey?

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Kids Shouldn’t Take Algebra Because It’s TOO HARD!.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:13:47 am »
I'll throw my 2 cents in being my son at 14 and special needs is right in the middle of this story. Kids today are pushed through math too quick, because of no child left behind. Even if they have not mastered the basic fundamentals of elementary school math, they are thrown into algebra beginning in the 6th grade. There is no more basic math classes available to those students not ready to move on. If my son cannot do long division or add simple fractions yet, who can justify him leaving that behind and on to algebra?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:18:35 am »
And did I mention spelling? They don't teach it, and place little interest in helping kids learn to spell. At 14 he could not spell the first 10 words in this post correctly.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:27:03 am »
Math is math. If you don't study and learn about the various types of math, you do not appreciate when they apply.

Simple arithmetic, algebra, statistics, plane and solid geometry, to name a few.

I wound up in the corporate world, not using much advanced math, but needing to know when it did apply.

The top execs were mostly engineering undergrads with MBAs. Math is in their wheelhouses. If you intend to converse and work with them, best to know the basics.

We came up with (invented) some dazzling formulas for client auditors, btw. For things like estimating the fringe benefit burden for Canadians/Brits/Dutch/Americans working in Saudi Arabia, on one year contracts, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 12:36:16 am »
Math is Math is no more true than kids are kids. Not all learn at the same speed. I didn't,but I had remidial math available to me all the way through ninth grade. It is not available to my son and never was- all because of no child left behind. They all have to advance at the same pace because they don't want to hurt some child feelings by making take a special math class.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 12:44:41 am »
Math is Math is no more true than kids are kids. Not all learn at the same speed. I didn't,but I had remidial math available to me all the way through ninth grade. It is not available to my son and never was- all because of no child left behind. They all have to advance at the same pace because they don't want to hurt some child feelings by making take a special math class.

Very true.

A-Lert

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 01:09:18 am »

The beginning of the end was when special needs students were mainstreamed. Heaven forbid making any kid remain an extra year in a class they can't pass. Education today has devolved to where what is most important is a students  feelings and self-esteem.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 01:46:50 am »
Now I would not agree with the  professor who said we should just stop teaching algebra. That is nonsense.  But it should not be a requirement and based on the child's education path and career goals, and they should have an idea of what that is by 9th grade. Not all kids should go on to college.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 01:52:24 am »
Now I would not agree with the  professor who said we should just stop teaching algebra. That is nonsense.  But it should not be a requirement and based on the child's education path and career goals, and they should have an idea of what that is by 9th grade. Not all kids should go on to college.

Every child should be taught to his or her own style and tempo.  Most kids learn at more or less the same pace, but some are at a quicker pace and others at a more leisurely pace (some kids just take longer because, in my view, they like to savor what they're learning, or they would, if they hadn't been told there was something wrong with them).

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 01:55:56 am »
Just how far are we going to dumb things down to make kids seem smarter?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 02:05:34 am »
IMO, the value of higher math is that it teaches you how to reason and think logically.  You may not remember how exactly to do algebra problems after you're done with it in school, but your brain functions at a higher level.

(The same is true of learning to read music, btw).

As for the pace of things, it is SO true that students learn at different paces.  I qualified for advanced math in Jr. High, but was pretty much lost because it was moving so fast for my non-mathematical brain.  When I dropped back into a normally paced class, I got A's and did just fine.

But the bottom line is that kids who are headed to college need algebra.  The idea that it should be dropped because it's "too hard" is symptomatic of what's wrong with our culture, and the way we coddle kids.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

HonestJohn

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 02:51:12 am »
I took algebra I in 9th grade, geometry in 10th, algebra II in 11th grade, and Trigonometry in 12th.

Algebra in the 6th grade is nuts.

A-Lert

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 02:53:10 am »
Just how far are we going to dumb things down to make kids seem smarter?

The decline of the education system can be seen clearly in the election of a community organizer as POTUS and the leading liberal candidate this year who is a sexual predator enabler.

Offline raml

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 05:05:56 am »
I loved math but not everyone does. I took college algebra,calculus and trig in high school and aced them all. My daughter was not math minded but took algebra her junior year while her brother took it his freshman year and never opened a book and got A's she studied her head off and got B's it use to infuriate her but she went on to college and did well in business her major and did very well in her career and is a top notch manager. I went to private school but they offered bookkeeping,regular math and economics for those not wanting the higher math route. I highly doubt it is math keeping kids from graduating it usually is a combination of things to make someone drop out. Your family life has a lot to do with it. I was in financial sales for many years so my math paid off. I also am a very logical thinker. When I take logic tests I always do well too I am sure the math courses I took in high school and college had a lot to do with that along with a father and mother who also were very logical people. My dad was a mechanical engineer. I have a grandson who is a civil engineer.

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 10:36:18 am »
OFFS **nononono* :wtf!:
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 12:29:56 pm »

When my son, who already had the disadvantage of having Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) spent his entire elementary school years  1st - 6th grades learning this crap shown in the video rather than the math algorithms we learned by, it is no wonder he, who is about ready to move on into 9th grade still cant do multi-digit multiplication, long division, or add fractions. Yet from 7th grade and on there is no more general math, no more remedial math. With the mindset that ALL Kids must go to college,  It is now all Algebra I-IV, Calculus, and Geometry I-III. If they haven't mastered basic math, too bad, so sad.   

Algebra, and those other classes must be available, I will not argue that. But the schools need to abandon the idea that all kids need to be prepped for college, and for Christ sake stop experimenting with our kids with new foreign methods of teaching basic math. Algorithms that we parents can't even understand.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1qee-bTZI