Author Topic: Petition seeks open carry at GOP convention  (Read 1583 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Petition seeks open carry at GOP convention
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:02:44 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/petition-seeks-open-carry-at-gop-convention/article/2586945

Petition seeks open carry at GOP convention
By Daniel Chaitin (@danielchaitin7) • 3/27/16 5:17 PM

As Republicans face rising chance of an acrimonious convention fight, one petitioner knows just what the party needs there: guns.

A petition has set it sights shooting down a ban on firearms at July's Republican convention at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio. It calls the ban a "direct affront to the Second Amendment" that puts "all attendees at risk."

The online petition's author, using the identity "N A," claims the Islamic State could launch a terrorist attack on the area during the convention.

"Without the right to protect themselves, those at the Quicken Loans Arena will be sitting ducks, utterly helpless against evil-doers, criminals or others who wish to threaten the American way of life," N A wrote.

The petition draws attention to the arena's policies and procedures, which prohibits firearms and other weapons to be brought to the venue, citing accordance with Ohio's "concealed carry" law and the right for private entities to ban handguns on their premises.

It says all three Republican candidates stand together in opposition to "Barack HUSSEIN Obama's 'gun-free zones.'"

The petition requests Ohio Gov. John Kasich, himself a candidate for president, use his authority to override the "'gun-free zone' loophole."

It asks the National Rifle Association to condemn the ban and implores the Republican National Committee to "honor the constitutional rights of the RNC guests," if the arena refuses.

In a pitch to candidates, the petition says they have been "brave in raising awareness about the immense dangers posed by 'gun-free zones.' It asks them to cajole the RNC into action to "to ensure the safety of your supporters, delegates and all attendees at the convention in July."

All three candidates, Kasich, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and businessman Donald Trump have spoken out against "gun-free zones."

Trump was asked what he thought about the petition during a Sunday morning phone interview on ABC's "This Week."

Trump, who called himself a "very strong person for the Second Amendment," refused to comment on the petition until he gets a chance to "read the fine print." He added that he intends to take a look at it.

As of Sunday afternoon, the online petition has over 35,000 supporters.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Petition seeks open carry at GOP convention
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:35:03 am »
Um.... Secret Service ain't gonna permit this, any more than they permit open carry at the candidates' rallies -now-.

End of story.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:45:50 am »
This is stupid and a waste of energy and capital.  I'm a big 2nd Amendment supporter, but why push open carry?  Why now?  Why at an incredibly politically charged event?  I don't get it.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:57:45 am »
This is stupid and a waste of energy and capital.  I'm a big 2nd Amendment supporter, but why push open carry?  Why now?  Why at an incredibly politically charged event?  I don't get it.

I agree. It would be a very bad idea.  Attention seekers not caring about the unintended consequences, diverting attention away from the Candidates and the Party Platform and onto the attendees instead.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Bill Cipher

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:13:45 am »
This would be a very, very bad idea.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 12:33:36 pm »
When Starbucks announced their upcoming policy change on open carry,  we in the NW had idiots walking into the stores in protest carrying not only OWB handguns, but AR-15s and hunting rifles as well, while buying coffee.   The media attention was not good. And they were walking a very thin legal line between what is considered open carry and what is considered brandishing.  If the petition was accepted and the RNC Convention said OK to OC, believe me you will see people carrying or attempting to carry AR-15s inside. It will be ugly, and the image of conservative America tarnished forever.

Gun owners need to show responsibility, and maturity, and that means not unduly frightening the general public. This in-your-face protest is counterproductive.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:46:20 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 12:39:21 pm »
When Starbucks announced their upcoming policy change on open carry,  we in the NW had idiots walking into the stores in protest carrying not only OWB handguns, but AR-15s and hunting rifles as well, while buying coffee.   The media attention was not good. And they were walking a very thing legal line between what is considered open carry and what is considered brandishing.  If the petition was accepted and the RNC Convention said OK to OC, believe me you will see people carrying or attempting to carry AR-15s inside. It will be ugly, and the image of conservative America tarnished forever.

Gun owners need to show responsibility, and maturity, and that means not unduly frightening the general public. This in-your-face protest is counterproductive.

goopo
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Bill Cipher

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 01:27:35 pm »
Great Post!!!  I have similar feelings towards other controversial issues like gay couples. I have no problem with people being able to do what they want, live as they want, as long as it isn't an "in-your-face" display like you might see at a gay pride day at Disney World which is suppose to be a kid friendly atmosphere and a place where parents would not want to address major social issues with their kids. Or anti-abortionists (and I am opposed to abortion) displaying images of aborted fetuses in places that should be kid friendly, family oriented and parents would not expect for their children to see grotesque images. Protesting the Iraq war at the funerals of American serviceman is another such example. The Public burning of the Koran I find to be uncalled for and counter-productive if your goal is to turn the world against Islam. It has the opposite effect for many people.

:thumbsup:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »
Great Post!!!  I have similar feelings towards other controversial issues like gay couples. I have no problem with people being able to do what they want, live as they want, as long as it isn't an "in-your-face" display like you might see at a gay pride day at Disney World which is suppose to be a kid friendly atmosphere and a place where parents would not want to address major social issues with their kids. Or anti-abortionists (and I am opposed to abortion) displaying images of aborted fetuses in places that should be kid friendly, family oriented and parents would not expect for their children to see grotesque images. Protesting the Iraq war at the funerals of American serviceman is another such example. The Public burning of the Koran I find to be uncalled for and counter-productive if your goal is to turn the world against Islam. It has the opposite effect for many people.

Very well said cuky.  Conservatives should always eschew extreme words and behavior regardless of which side of the aisle they come from.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 01:53:26 pm »
Some very mature posting, folks. I can scarcely add to them.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 01:56:59 pm »
When Starbucks announced their upcoming policy change on open carry,  we in the NW had idiots walking into the stores in protest carrying not only OWB handguns, but AR-15s and hunting rifles as well, while buying coffee.   The media attention was not good. And they were walking a very thin legal line between what is considered open carry and what is considered brandishing.  If the petition was accepted and the RNC Convention said OK to OC, believe me you will see people carrying or attempting to carry AR-15s inside. It will be ugly, and the image of conservative America tarnished forever.

When Texas recently passed open carry for permit holders I just kept right on with carrying concealed and I'll bet you that the vast majority of those I encounter have no idea I'm carrying.  Just the way I like it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 02:18:18 pm »
When Texas recently passed open carry for permit holders I just kept right on with carrying concealed and I'll bet you that the vast majority of those I encounter have no idea I'm carrying.  Just the way I like it!

Same here. I carry concealed only in public, even though open carry is legal inn NH and I sometimes do so on my own property.

I have a strong sense that open carry at the RNC would be a very bad idea, for a variety of reasons, including optics, which count, like it or not. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 02:22:33 pm »
Same here. I carry concealed only in public, even though open carry is legal inn NH and I sometimes do so on my own property.

I have a strong sense that open carry at the RNC would be a very bad idea, for a variety of reasons, including optics, which count, like it or not.

The entire point of concealed carry is to prevent the bad guys from knowing who is armed and who isn't! Why would anyone want to make themselves a target needlessly?

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 02:28:08 pm »
Um.... Secret Service ain't gonna permit this, any more than they permit open carry at the candidates' rallies -now-.

End of story.

The Secret Service won't permit concealed carry either.  No guns around political candidates, period.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 03:01:37 pm »
The entire point of concealed carry is to prevent the bad guys from knowing who is armed and who isn't! Why would anyone want to make themselves a target needlessly?

goopo

Offline flowers

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 04:05:30 pm »
A horrible idea.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 04:09:55 pm »
If someone hasn't pointed it out yet, the petition is phony. I'll find the link again, but the guy who started it is a lib who wrote it mocking Republicans. Most media hasn't picked up on this, but a detailed reading it is obvious satire.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 04:11:20 pm »
If someone hasn't pointed it out yet, the petition is phony. I'll find the link again, but the guy who started it is a lib who wrote it mocking Republicans. Most media hasn't picked up on this, but a detailed reading it is obvious satire.

That makes more sense.

Offline flowers

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 04:14:50 pm »
I was thinking who's idea was this? Thanks for pointing that out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:16:13 pm by flowers »