Author Topic: China releases jailed Christian human rights lawyer  (Read 202 times)

Online mountaineer

China releases jailed Christian human rights lawyer
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:37:13 pm »
China releases jailed Christian human rights lawyer
By June Cheng
Posted March 25, 2016, 07:58 a.m.   
WORLD Magazine
Chinese Christian human rights lawyer Zhang Kai finally returned home after nearly seven months of detention for defending Wenzhou churches that had their crosses demolished.

While the conditions of his release remain uncertain, Zhang posted on Chinese social media Wednesday: “I have already safely arrived home in Inner Mongolia. I am thankful for all my friends who were concerned about me during this time and who looked after and comforted my family, and for the Wenzhou police who took care of me during this time.”

Texas-based China Aid confirmed Zhang’s release with his relatives, and said he was freed on bail pending trial. Zhang was detained Aug. 25, the day before a planned meeting with U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom David Saperstein, and spent six months in secretive detention before appearing on state-run television to “confess” his crimes. Authorities then criminally detained him on charges of “endangering state secrets” and “gathering a crowd to disturb the public.”

“As a close friend of Zhang Kai, I am very pleased to hear this good news, although further details about the conditions of his release are still unknown,” said Bob Fu, founder of China Aid. “Zhang Kai is a bold human rights lawyer and a defender of the rule of law and religious freedom, and is completely innocent.”

Fu also appealed to the Chinese authorities to release other religious leaders and human rights lawyers who remain “arbitrarily imprisoned,” including Wang Yu and Li Heping, two lawyers who have been missing since July when Chinese authorities cracked down on the growing community of human rights lawyers. Around the same time, authorities detained Hu Shigen, a house church leader and democracy activist formerly imprisoned for 16 years for attempting to create an opposition political party.

Pastor Li Guozhi of Living Rock, a house church in the southwest city of Guiyang, was arrested in January on suspicion of “divulging state secrets.” Authorities even targeted pastors of government-sanctioned churches if they spoke out against the cross removals—Wenzhou Pastor Bao Guohua was detained and accused of “embezzlement” and “disrupting social order” in August, while Pastor Gu Yuese, the leader of a Hangzhou megachurch, was detained in February also on suspicion of embezzling funds.

The U.S. Congressional-Executive Commission on China issued a statement praising Zhang’s release while urging President Xi Jinping to respect religious freedom.

“We welcome the release granted Zhang Kai, but remain gravely concerned by the ongoing and heavy-handed efforts to destroy property and arrest religious leaders in Zhejiang province,” said Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J., the commission’s chairman. “Expanded restrictions and efforts to control religious practice will only further alienate China’s fast-growing religious communities and remind even non-believers of the Communist Party’s arbitrary power.”
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: China releases jailed Christian human rights lawyer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 01:43:45 pm »
Christian lawyer Zhang Kai released in China
Human rights champion released a month after appearing on television to make “forced confession”
By Neil Connor
3:13AM GMT 24 Mar 2016
Telegraph (U.K.)
A Chinese Christian lawyer who opposed a Communist Party campaign to remove crosses from churches has been released after seven months in detention, according to his social media accounts.

Zhang Kai was held by authorities in August 2015, hours before he had planned to attend a meeting on religious freedom with a US envoy.

He was paraded on television last month admitting various crimes including disturbing social order and endangering national security – the latest in a series of television “confessions” by human rights champions in China. The purported confession was criticised by Washington who called for the lawyer’s release. 

Mr Zhang represented dozens of churches which were targeted in what has been called China’s “anti-cross” campaign. Officials have removed crosses from more than 1,200 churches in the eastern province of Zhejiang since early 2014. Many other churches have been demolished.

After he was held by security forces, Mr Zhang was placed under “residential surveillance”, a type of detention in what is known as a “black jail” in China.

He was subsequently charged with “endangering state secrets” and “gathering a crowd to disturb public order” and placed under criminal detention.

"I have already returned to my hometown in Inner Mongolia,” Mr Zhang said in a brief statement on social messaging app Wechat and China’s Twitter-like Sina Weibo late on Wednesday:

He also thanked “friends” for their concern for him and for helping his family before thanking local police for their “care”.

Bob Fu, director of the US-based campaign group ChinaAid, said he was “very pleased” to hear of the release of his “close friend”.

ChinaAid had confirmed that he was now free from detention, but Mr Fu said the conditions of his release were unclear.

"Zhang Kai is a bold human rights lawyer and a defender of the rule of law and religious freedom, and is completely innocent,” he added.
Videos at link.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org