Author Topic: Texas Lobbyist and Ted Cruz Operative Admits Origin of Campaign To Attack Donald Trump’s Wife…  (Read 3656 times)

Offline sinkspur

The fact that you say she works for Paul Ryan is even worse!  Why is a Paul Ryan employee going on television presuming to speak for the Ted Cruz campaign?  What conclusions could be drawn by that?

Did the establishment already own Cruz at that point?  Is that where the Melania attack originated from - the GOPe?

The whole point - which has been said over and over - was NOT that it's a nude picture of Melania which is already all over the internet - the point is that the message superimposed on the photo says to vote for Ted Cruz if you don't want Melania to be your first lady.

Oh yeah, Ted didn't know anything about it. 

Then, why didn't he come out immediately and DENOUNCE the ad as tacky and inappropriate?  You know, DENOUNCE?

He did. He said he didn't have anything to do with it.   His supporters said he didn't have anything to do with it.

But Trump couldn't let it go, so he tweets an unflattering picture of Heidi and pimped the Cruz infidelity story to his friend Pecker that is now blowing up in his face.

Trump always does this stuff when he's in trouble.  He's tanking in Wisconsin, so he resorts to gutter politics.  It's his M.O.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The fact that you say she works for Paul Ryan is even worse!  Why is a Paul Ryan employee going on television presuming to speak for the Ted Cruz campaign? .....

Then, why didn't he come out immediately and DENOUNCE the ad as tacky and inappropriate?  You know, DENOUNCE?

1. The media have various 'go-to' people that speak for campaigns. They may have nothing to do with the campaign whatsoever. They are just standard talking-heads who actually work for the media. Their role is to present a certain viewpoint. It is kind of like a spokesmodel hired for a car show (I haven't had enough coffee to come up with a better analogy).  She doesn't work for the car company of the vehicle she is standing in front of, she works for the show itself.

2. He did come out immediately and denounce it. I posted the link up thread. Rather strongly too. The major media just didn't report on it. I guess pretending he didn't respond helped the media drive up the story.  It was in the media's interest if they fueled the fight, so other than a couple of blogs, you'll be hard pressed to find that video of the denouncement.

Offline Frank Cannon

Trump always does this stuff when he's in trouble.  He's tanking in Wisconsin, so he resorts to gutter politics.  It's his M.O.

True. It has come to light that Trump is the one who started the rumor that Carson left a sponge in a patient when Ben was doing well in the polls.

Bill Cipher

True. It has come to light that Trump is the one who started the rumor that Carson left a sponge in a patient when Ben was doing well in the polls.

Seriously?  Do you have a link or backup?

Offline ABX

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

You should try to engage with the facts, not with the Trump narrative.

Condemning it BEFORE the Utah voting began is what I'm talking about.

He reaped the rewards...the Mormon vote. 

That's not just the Trump narrative. 

And you're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own set of facts.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

Seriously?  Do you have a link or backup?

Here you go.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/10/trumps-alliance-with-the-national-enquirer.html

This person also said that Trump’s campaign was a source for the article: “His campaign provided information that was used,” he explained. A Trump friend said that in the days leading up to the article’s publication Trump was telling people that Carson “had a lot of medical malpractice suits” and “almost killed a guy.”

Bill Cipher

Condemning it BEFORE the Utah voting began is what I'm talking about.

He reaped the rewards...the Mormon vote. 

That's not just the Trump narrative. 

And you're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own set of facts.

snicker

Whatever, DC, whatever.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The whole point - which has been said over and over - was NOT that it's a nude picture of Melania which is already all over the internet - the point is that the message superimposed on the photo says to vote for Ted Cruz if you don't want Melania to be your first lady. 

The photo has a copyright which means it had to be purchased to legally impose Cruz's political message on it.  Reports are the photo was purchased by Roe, Cruz's campaign manager.

I'd like more investigation into this report because if it is true---that the photo was purchased by Cruz's campaign manager and tuned over to a SuperPac for edit and distribution---then we're looking at a potential felony.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:05:44 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline ABX

So now we've gone from...

Cruz never condemned it.

to

OK, he condemned it, but not in the time-frame I think he should have.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
So now we've gone from...

Cruz never condemned it.

to

OK, he condemned it, but not in the time-frame I think he should have.

No...we're not saying that at all.

His condemnation is worthless.   It was a CYA move, if anything.

It's tantamount to telling a jury to disregard what they just heard/saw.....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

The photo has a copyright which means it had to be purchased to legally impose Cruz's political message on it.  Reports are the photo was purchased by Roe, Cruz's campaign manager.

I'd like more investigation into this report because if it is true---that the photo was purchased by Cruz's campaign manager and tuned over to a SuperPac for edit and distribution---then we're looking at a potential felony.

I sure hope this whole "divert attention/attack a scapegoat" strategy is worth it to Ted Cruz.

Several problems with this.

First of all, the reports Roe purchased it have been dismissed. It was claimed by a blog with no evidence. Even the Trump supporting Gateway Pundit website said that report looks bogus. No legitimate source is claiming that, and even biased sources for Trump say it isn't true.

Second, if a campaign of any sort paid for usage rights of an image, they wouldn't be using a low resolution magazine scan that is all over Google.  This looks like an image some kid scanned off his home computer, not a high quality image a magazine would supply if rights-use was purchased.

Third, in the nature of politics, a campaign or PAC can claim fair use on an image that is in the public discourse.  This image is all over Google and just like the media reporting using the image, a campaign can also claim it is germane to public discourse and protected under fair use guidelines. (in the same way Trump used an image of Heidi Cruz from a Reuters snapshot that I'm sure he didn't get permission for).

Fourth, don't assume Liz Mair (who admitted she was behind it) even thought of copyright issues. Images like this are used constantly in memes and I doubt anyone even thinks of purchasing image rights.

Bill Cipher

If people were that concerned about copyright this forum, and almost all other forums, would be almost 100% text-only.  That's a meaningless point.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Here you go.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/10/trumps-alliance-with-the-national-enquirer.html

That's an un-named source.  Both the Enquirer and Trump's spokesperson said it wasn't true...............but an UN-NAMED source makes it a fact!

The whole article was full of negative innuendo, which, by the end of the article - didn't prove the accusation.

:whistle:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

This could have been put to bed...no pun intended...right from the beginning, had Ted Cruz taken the opportunity to appear magnanimous.

He should have condemned the ad from said PAC...and he should have immediately apologized to Melania Trump and Donald.

It may have also bought him some sympathy support during the coming, very public, marital exam.
Absolutely correct DC.