Author Topic: Disney Threatens To Stop Shooting In Georgia If State Passes Religious Freedom Law  (Read 752 times)

rangerrebew

Disney Threatens To Stop Shooting In Georgia If State Passes Religious Freedom Law

http://downtrend.com/71superb/disney-threatens-to-stop-shooting-in-georgia-if-state-passes-religious-freedom-law

March 24, 2016| by Brian Anderson

The Walt Disney Company owns its own island, has a fleet of ships, and even a security force. They are pretty much every evil organization from any James Bond movie. Like all good super villains, Disney is using its considerable muscle to impose its will through terrorist blackmail. They just put the screws to the State of Georgia, threatening to stop shooting there if the state passes a religious freedom law.

On March 16, the Georgia legislature passed The Free Exercise Protection Act. Basically the law says that people with a religious conviction cannot be forced to participate in homosexual activities they object to. For example, an official can decide to not perform a gay marriage ceremony if he or she has a religious opposition to it. Or a baker doesn’t have to make a cake for a gay wedding for the same reason.

What the law doesn’t do is allow people to discriminate against gay people in employment, housing, education, etc…All it does is keep people from being bullied into accepting gay marriage if their religion says it’s wrong. The bill is sitting on Georgia Governor Nathan Deal’s desk awaiting his signature. He has until May 3 to sign or veto it.

The LA Times reports that Disney doesn’t care so much about people’s religious freedom, but they are concerned that gay people might be offended, so they are threatening a boycott.

“Disney and Marvel are inclusive companies, and although we have had great experiences filming in Georgia, we will plan to take our business elsewhere should any legislation allowing discriminatory practices be signed into state law,” said a Disney spokesman.

See, the deal is, big studios including Disney don’t like filming in liberal states like California and New York because the taxes and regulations are so high it doesn’t make economic sense. Instead, they film in conservative states that know how to attract business. Georgia gives some pretty sweet tax incentives to Hollywood and almost 250 movie and TV productions filmed there last year.

And while Hollywood prefers the business-friendly environment of red states like Georgia, they sure as hell don’t like their conservative values. This boycott threat is Disney’s way of trying to turn Georgia into a progressive shithole like California.

So far the other major studios are not joining in Disney’s boycott, but the Motion Picture Association of America is applying some pressure.

“We are confident that Governor Deal will not allow a discriminatory bill to become law in Georgia,” said MPAA senior vice president Vans Stevenson.

I say if Disney wants to commit economic terrorism on the people of Georgia over their religious beliefs, maybe Christians nationwide should similarly boycott the evil Disney Empire. I’m sure Disney will get out of the social justice warrior game when their bottom line takes a huge hit.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:35:01 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline GAJohnnie

Disney shoots in GA because the GA Government gives them tax payer dollars to do so. I think a cost benefit analysis needs to be made to see if those tax payer dollars cost GA more then the gain. I suspect they do.

Bill Cipher

Disney shoots in GA because the GA Government gives them tax payer dollars to do so. I think a cost benefit analysis needs to be made to see if those tax payer dollars cost GA more then the gain. I suspect they do.

Those tax credits for filming are nothing more than welfare for movie makers and you're suspicion is correct: they generally cost taxpayers more than they get in return. 

rangerrebew

I think the term "shooting" should be forbidden by Disney now that they have joined the left in nonsense.  If Sarah Palin can't say it, according to the news, then Disney shouldn't either.  In fact, they should drop all pronouns from their movie dialog if they want to be consistent in their new cause. :bullie smokin:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:59:29 pm by rangerrebew »

HonestJohn

The Walt Disney Company owns its own island, has a fleet of ships, and even a security force. They are pretty much every evil organization from any James Bond movie. Like all good super villains, Disney is using its considerable muscle to impose its will through terrorist blackmail.

Huh, so Disney is a terrorist organization according to that site.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Those tax credits for filming are nothing more than welfare for movie makers and you're suspicion is correct: they generally cost taxpayers more than they get in return.
Georgia is the 3rd largest provider of sites for filming. They must have decided it was worth it.

California is the 1st, NY 2nd, but have been losing to other states, Canada and other countries for years.

If Georgia drives them out, they will simply find more friendly places.

Dexter was filmed in Long Beach CA, not Miami btw.

Georgia had benefit in 2015 of 248 filmings, and $1.7 billion in economic activity. I say let the voters decide.

Air flights revenue, car truck rentals, hotel rooms rented, local hires and local sources materials and supplies, local subcontracts, local venues rented, etc.

Go ahead, send that activity to some dastardly place that bakes cakes for every damn body.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Charlespg

You Will accept the Homosexual agenda or else  **nononono*
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline aligncare

I'm betting that Walt Disney would not be down with the gay agenda. Just a hunch based on the fact that Walt was working on the family-friendly side of the entertainment equation. Unless Micky had some deep hidden secrets. I suppose that could explain Goofy's attitude, though.

Bill Cipher

Georgia is the 3rd largest provider of sites for filming. They must have decided it was worth it.

California is the 1st, NY 2nd, but have been losing to other states, Canada and other countries for years.

If Georgia drives them out, they will simply find more friendly places.

Dexter was filmed in Long Beach CA, not Miami btw.

Georgia had benefit in 2015 of 248 filmings, and $1.7 billion in economic activity. I say let the voters decide.

Air flights revenue, car truck rentals, hotel rooms rented, local hires and local sources materials and supplies, local subcontracts, local venues rented, etc.

Go ahead, send that activity to some dastardly place that bakes cakes for every damn body.

Far be it from me to counter what GA chooses to do; however, data shows these things on net do not add value.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Far be it from me to counter what GA chooses to do; however, data shows these things on net do not add value.

Please provide the figures supporting that contention.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

I've driven through Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens past filming locations – which was actually a fairly common occurrence. Depending on the film budget, it's amazing how many semis, trailers, rVs, support vehicles and equipment they haul in. There be a whole lot of economic activity going on.

Bill Cipher

I've driven through Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens past filming locations – which was actually a fairly common occurrence. Depending on the film budget, it's amazing how many semis, trailers, rVs, support vehicles and equipment they haul in. There be a whole lot of economic activity going on.

The key is "haul in" - where do you think the money for renting all those vehicles goes?  If the vehicles are from outside NY, don't you think the money ends up outside NY?

Bill Cipher

Please provide the figures supporting that contention.

An article:  http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/economic-intelligence/2013/04/16/film-tax-credits-dont-give-states-an-economic-boost

An excerpt:
But states are finding that it is barely worth the lost revenue. A recent report by the Massachusetts Department of Revenue found that of the $44 million in tax credits awarded in 2011, two-thirds of the $175 million in spending generated due to economic activity went to out-of-state workers, and 47 percent of the wages generated, or $53 million, went to those earning over $1 million.

On net, Massachusetts' film credit program is costing the state more than it delivers. After subtracting payments to out-of-state residents and the budget reductions required to fund the credits, only $39 million in state economic activity resulted. The findings have prompted Governor Deval Patrick to cap the state's program to $40 million in annual credits.

North Carolina's Legislative Services Office analysis shows their film credit program realizes even less impressive returns. In 2011, the state awarded $30.3 million in film credits – reimbursing productions that spent over $250,000 up to 25 percent for qualifying expenses. Yet, the program could only claim about 55 to 70 new jobs. Based on their model, the report claims that if instead North Carolina's business taxes had been reduced across the board by $30.3 million, between 340 and 450 jobs and $14 million in personal income would have materialized.

Oops.