Author Topic: The pettiness of the Donald: Trump threatens to run attack ads against Chicago Cubs  (Read 1144 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25526495

Donald Trump threatens to run attack ads against Cubs

By Dayn Perry | Baseball Writer
March 22, 2016 11:33 am ET

As noted in this very space, presidential candidate and likely GOP nominee Donald Trump has it in for the Ricketts family, who of course own the Chicago Cubs. Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts responded to Trump's initial and somewhat cryptic broadside by saying he was a bit puzzled by the entire thing. It likely flows from the PAC spending of some members of the Ricketts family. Many prominent members of the family skew conservative, but they're occasionally at cross purposes with Trump.

In any event, Trump on Monday revisited this percolating feud and made the following comments:

To be sure, this is probably bluster. The idea of running attack ads during an election cycle against a baseball team owned by someone whom you are not running against seems ... fruitless in the extreme. Furthermore, the Cubs are coming off a 97-win season, are the on-paper favorites for 2016, are well-poised to contend for years to come, and are wallowing in revenues. Politics aside, it strains credulity to say the Ricketts have done a "rotten job" as Cub stewards.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:10:48 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline ArneFufkin

The stupidity of this is that the Cubs, under Ricketts' direction,  have really built a young, quality team this past few years.   He revamped their farm system and hired some competent operational and scouting people and they should be considered one of the favorites to make/win the World Series this year.

No Cubs fans I know are complaining these days.

Offline Frank Cannon

Trump Rule #5: When you look stupid with irrational foreign policy statements, attack a baseball team.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm glad he isn't applying for a job where he can take real vengence against people he doesn't like though the powers of the FCC, IRS and the like....

...oh wait...

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I think it's becoming easier to list the groups Trumps hasn't attacked as opposed to listing all the groups that Trump has attacked. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

For the love of Christ!!!  Haven't the Cubbies suffered enough?

Bill Cipher

For the love of Christ!!!  Haven't the Cubbies suffered enough?

I was thinking the same thing.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The stupidity of this is that the Cubs, under Ricketts' direction,  have really built a young, quality team this past few years.   He revamped their farm system and hired some competent operational and scouting people and they should be considered one of the favorites to make/win the World Series this year.

No Cubs fans I know are complaining these days.

If they were in any other division, they would have been in 1st place. Unfortunately they happened to be with the Pirates and Cardies. They should do some good things this year.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
And yet another ADHD 'squirrel!' moment for The Donald.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
We're all Cubs fans now.

Go Cubs Go
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline LottieDah

And yet another ADHD 'squirrel!' moment for The Donald.

Methinks "The Donald" needs to take his meds.

Bill Cipher

I think it's becoming easier to list the groups Trumps hasn't attacked as opposed to listing all the groups that Trump has attacked. 

Yup.