Author Topic: Trump says he’ll make Israel pay for defense aid  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Trump says he’ll make Israel pay for defense aid
« on: March 22, 2016, 03:05:17 pm »
Why do financially comfortable nations get billions from us annually while we are trillions in debt? I understand that Israel and others are our allies, but why does that mean we have to give them an allowance? I think subsidizing other nations should be put on hold until we get our own finances under control.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-says-hell-make-israel-pay-for-defense-aid/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

During a press conference in Washington, Trump was asked whether he believed the Israeli government should pay for American defense, as he had called for other US allies such as South Korea, Japan and Saudi Arabia to do. “I think Israel will do that also, yeah, I think Israel do—there are many countries that can pay and they can pay big league,” responded the billionaire businessman. He spent most of his statement focused on the other countries, saying calling in debts would help “build wealth.”
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:20:00 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump says he’ll make Israel pay for defense aid
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 03:28:25 pm »
No he won't.  Again, as with every other pronouncement out of this clown's mouth, he cannot cut any budgets without the approval of Congress.

Good luck with cutting any aid to Israel with the current Congress (or any Congress, for that matter).
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 03:30:41 pm »
No he won't.  Again, as with every other pronouncement out of this clown's mouth, he cannot cut any budgets without the approval of Congress.

Good luck with cutting any aid to Israel with the current Congress (or any Congress, for that matter).

Right, I get that, but what about my questions? During a time of economic turmoil why are we giving away in the neighborhood of 100 billion dollars a year to other nations? How screwed up are our priorities when we can afford that but bills designed to properly fund the VA get denied because of cost?
-Socrates

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 03:43:00 pm »
Right, I get that, but what about my questions? During a time of economic turmoil why are we giving away in the neighborhood of 100 billion dollars a year to other nations? How screwed up are our priorities when we can afford that but bills designed to properly fund the VA get denied because of cost?

We're "giving away" $35 billion.  http://mondoweiss.net/2015/11/spends-billion-foreign/

Ten percent of that goes to Israel, a nation that is at the forefront in fighting terror in the Middle East.  Most of it returns to the US in the form of munitions and military procurement.

This is another one of Trump's "us-versus-them" set-ups, with the "them" being all those non-Americans that are living high on the hog off our largesse. 

Or so some think. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 03:44:16 pm »
We're "giving away" $35 billion.

Okay, fine, $35 billion. I think my point still stands.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:45:25 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 03:53:25 pm »
Okay, fine, $35 billion. I think my point still stands.

We're funding Planned Parenthood, but that didn't make your list. Israel did. I would rather not spend money on abortions than not spend money on people fighting animals that want to kill all of us.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:15:06 pm »
This is a deflection.

Part of it is military assistance which directly links to our foreign policy of helping to keep ISIS and other such militants somewhat controlled without openly going to war using our own troops.  The other part of it is economic assistance to developing countries.  That part of it can always be questioned, and though a very small part of the overall budget, can always be pulled back with little to no risk to our own security.  Much of it may be wasted and taken by corrupt dictators, but the goal is an economic head-start, which may or may not keep those nations from turning farther to the left or even radicalism.  The first part is far more critical to maintaining stability which does impact our own security.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Dexter

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:24:50 pm »
Part of it is military assistance which directly links to our foreign policy of helping to keep ISIS and other such militants somewhat controlled without openly going to war using our own troops.  The other part of it is economic assistance to developing countries.  That part of it can always be questioned, and though a very small part of the overall budget, can always be pulled back with little to no risk to our own security.  Much of it may be wasted and taken by corrupt dictators, but the goal is an economic head-start, which may or may not keep those nations from turning farther to the left or even radicalism.  The first part is far more critical to maintaining stability which does impact our own security.

Is Israel helping us stop ISIS?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:26:04 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Bill Cipher

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 04:27:18 pm »

Define "giving away" in the context of your statement. I.e., just what exactly are you treating as having been "given away?"

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 04:38:21 pm »
We're "giving away" $35 billion.  http://mondoweiss.net/2015/11/spends-billion-foreign/

Ten percent of that goes to Israel, a nation that is at the forefront in fighting terror in the Middle East.  Most of it returns to the US in the form of munitions and military procurement.

This is another one of Trump's "us-versus-them" set-ups, with the "them" being all those non-Americans that are living high on the hog off our largesse. 

Or so some think.

Thanks for posting, I was about to do the same.

We don't actually 'give' Israel all this money like people think. Checks aren't written to Israel. A vast majority- 90% of 'military aid' to Israel is actually just discounts on equipment they purchase from us. They are funding their own defense, we just give them what would be the equivalent of bulk rate discounts.

In Trump's language- we have a very yuge deal with them. They are paying for us and are contracted to be a long term customer as long as we don't screw it up. (not even getting into the issue of having a strong ally in a volatile area of the world)

Offline Dexter

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 04:49:17 pm »
Thanks for posting, I was about to do the same.

We don't actually 'give' Israel all this money like people think. Checks aren't written to Israel. A vast majority- 90% of 'military aid' to Israel is actually just discounts on equipment they purchase from us. They are funding their own defense, we just give them what would be the equivalent of bulk rate discounts.

In Trump's language- we have a very yuge deal with them. They are paying for us and are contracted to be a long term customer as long as we don't screw it up. (not even getting into the issue of having a strong ally in a volatile area of the world)

I'm not contesting what you've said here, but do you have a source that breaks down the details of our aid to them? Also, I'm talking about more than just Israel. The fact is every year we're out many billions of dollars because we're aiding nations all over the planet. I don't think we can afford that right now.
-Socrates

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 05:36:51 pm »

Israel, the only true democracy in the entire region is constantly fighting against terrorism.  They provide us with valuable intelligence and are a real ally.  As long as Israel exists, terrorists and countries that support them must constantly look behind them.  Yes, their intelligence services have looked at us, and to be sure, so has every other ally and non-ally alike.  Spending by the US on military aid to Israel represents 3 one-hundreth of one percent of this Country's welfare spending.  But on the left and libertarian forums, you would think it was the most egregious spending we commit to.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 05:52:55 pm »
Israel, the only true democracy in the entire region is constantly fighting against terrorism.  They provide us with valuable intelligence and are a real ally.  As long as Israel exists, terrorists and countries that support them must constantly look behind them.  Yes, their intelligence services have looked at us, and to be sure, so has every other ally and non-ally alike.  Spending by the US on military aid to Israel represents 3 one-hundreth of one percent of this Country's welfare spending.  But on the left and libertarian forums, you would think it was the most egregious spending we commit to.

Israel doesn't contribute blood or arms to the fight against ISIS, who according to some represents an existential threat to the United States. What's the point of our alliance if they're not there for us when our existence is on the line? What important intelligence do they provide that we couldn't have obtained on our own? Their contribution is slightly more than nothing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:54:33 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 06:16:13 pm »
We can debate all day whether we should pay for the defense of Israel, Germany, South Korea, and Japan - or let them pay us for defending them which is Trump's position.    But if he would have mentioned his position at AIPCA, how do you think it would have gone over?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 06:24:29 pm »
Israel doesn't contribute blood or arms to the fight against ISIS, who according to some represents an existential threat to the United States. What's the point of our alliance if they're not there for us when our existence is on the line? What important intelligence do they provide that we couldn't have obtained on our own? Their contribution is slightly more than nothing.

And the contribution of all the welfare takers is...

Anyway, do you think the intelligence they provide should be public information?  Do you think Iran is in anyway concerned about them?  Israel fights terrorism every day.  And those terrorists are sent money and arms continually by countries we unwisely make deals with.  There are currently about 60 foreign terrorist organizations on the State Department's list as active.  Some of them are affiliated or otherwise assisting ISIS.  The point is ISIS isn't the only organization that wants to end Western culture, religion and government. 

But as I said, the left and libertarians both aim their animosity at Israel not only for the money we provide in military assistance, but in their minds Israel is the  cause of worldwide terrorism.  Neither will generally admit to any usefulness to the State of Israel, but during an election, suddenly those fair weather friends can't wait to tell AIPAC how wonderful Israel is.   Then for a few minutes their supporters glow about the wonderful speeches at AIPAC, and then go back to the meme: "So why do we spend all that money on Israel"?

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 06:25:56 pm »
My contention:

1) Israel is a nation with limited natural resources surrounded on all sides by hostile people. Six day war and Yom kippur are two examples where they had to fight a war completely surrounded except for the ocean

2) Israel has nukes and will use them to survive.

3) Israel needs the US to survive, period. With our support eventually other nations will overwhelm Israel.

4) When faced with being totally overrun, with the knowledge that the US will not back it up, at least materially or "spiritually", will put Israel in an apocalyptic situation. Memories of the holocaust still linger. As the nation has nukes, this is a bad thing.

5) Israel is only nation in the region that is not a barbaric stone-age cess pool.

It's your right to believe that Israel should exist on their own. They have done many things I don't agree with. But I personally see more benefits than drawbacks to giving them the support we do. Netanyahu's speech before the UN was a stunning indictment to be honest.

So I do support Israel.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 06:44:17 pm »
Trump Rhetoric:

"There is nobody who is “more pro-Israel than I am"

Trump Truth:  is to the Left of Obama, Hillary, even Bernie Sanders

"Israel Should Pay U.S. For Defense"
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 06:54:29 pm »
Trump Rhetoric:

"There is nobody who is “more pro-Israel than I am"

Trump Truth:  is to the Left of Obama, Hillary, even Bernie Sanders

"Israel Should Pay U.S. For Defense"

Ain't politics a hoot?

HonestJohn

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 08:43:35 pm »
This isn't a subsidy.  It's payment for Israeli non-action in the Middle East as well as Israeli diplomatic support in the foreign relations arena.

It is also a earmark for American defense manufacturers, as the conditions of the aid require that Israel spend it on US made defense equipment.

HonestJohn

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 08:44:25 pm »

Ahem... Mossad...

Most of what Israel does will not be in the news.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 08:45:38 pm by HonestJohn »