Author Topic: Ryan: Contested convention looking more likely  (Read 375 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ryan: Contested convention looking more likely
« on: March 17, 2016, 06:15:46 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/273417-ryan-contested-convention-looking-more-likely

By Scott Wong - 03/17/16 12:41 PM EDT

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Thursday there’s no chance he’ll emerge as the GOP presidential nominee if no candidate captures enough delegates before this summer’s convention.

For the first time, however, Ryan acknowledged the increasing likelihood that the GOP nominee will be decided in Cleveland at what’s known as a contested or open convention.

Donald Trump is the clear front-runner, but whether he can clinch the nomination by winning 1,237 delegates before the party's July convention remains. unclear.

“Nothing has changed other than the perception that this is more likely to be an open convention than we thought before,” Ryan, the ceremonial chairman of the convention, told reporters. “We’re getting our minds around the idea that this could very well become a reality and that those of us who are involved in the convention need to respect that.”

The Speaker’s comments Thursday suggest party leaders are beginning to prepare for a floor fight at the convention at Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland.

When The Hill asked him in January about a possible contested convention, Ryan dismissed the idea.

“I think it’s ridiculous to talk about it,” he said at the GOP retreat in Baltimore.

But now, as convention chairman, Ryan said he’ll need to “bone up” on not only his ceremonial duties but also on the party rules governing what’s expected to be a raucous, unpredictable convention.

Ryan, Mitt Romney’s 2012 vice presidential running mate, also attempted to end the rampant speculation that he might be nominated if voting in Cleveland goes to multiple ballots. His predecessor, former Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), suggested he’d back Ryan if no one has enough votes on the first ballot.

“It is not me. ... I saw Boehner last night and I told him to knock it off,” Ryan said. “I used slightly different words. I used his own words that he used against us when he told us to knock things off.

“It’s not going to be me. It should be someone running for president. ... Let’s just put this thing to rest and move on.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

HAPPY2BME

Re: Ryan: Contested convention looking more likely
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:01:29 pm »
Paul Ryan delivers STRONG WARNING to Donald Trump

Written by Michele Hickford, Editor-in-Chief on March 18, 2016

In January, when asked if he thought there would be a contested GOP convention, Paul Ryan said “it’s ridiculous to talk about it.” But that was way before establishment favorites started dropping like flies.

Boy, have things changed. Yesterday, as The Hill reports, Ryan acknowledged the increasing likelihood that the GOP nominee will be decided in Cleveland at what’s known as a contested or open convention.

“Nothing has changed other than the perception that this is more likely to be an open convention than we thought before,” Ryan, the ceremonial chairman of the convention, told reporters. “We’re getting our minds around the idea that this could very well become a reality and that those of us who are involved in the convention need to respect that.”

Of course, the prospect of the true will of the people not being respected has the electorate riled up – not the least of which is the GOP frontrunner himself. Regarding the possibility of a contested convention stealing the nomination away, Donald Trump said Wednesday on CNN’s “New Day,” “I think you’d have riots. I think you’d have riots. I’m representing a tremendous many, many millions of people.”

That didn’t sit well with Paul Ryan, who will be chairing the event and said Trump should do more to control violent outbursts at his events.

(Not sure if he’s referring to Trump’s outbursts or those carried out by protesters AGAINST Trump, since other than one pugilistic supporter, there haven’t been any violent outbursts from supporters have there?)

“Nobody should say such things, in my opinion, because to even address or hint to violence is unacceptable,” Ryan said, when asked about Trump’s prediction of rioting if someone else becomes the nominee.

Agreed. No one should say such things Mr. Speaker. But do you think you might offer some words to the liberals and Black Lives Matter folks who are actually carrying out the violence? And directly calling for it? Just a thought…

http://www.allenbwest.com/2016/03/paul-ryan-delivers-strong-warning-to-donald-trump/