Author Topic: Trump protest tactics backfiring.  (Read 641 times)

Offline Mesaclone

Trump protest tactics backfiring.
« on: March 19, 2016, 12:28:13 am »
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/did-trump-protest-tactics-backfire/

A very cogent article from Americanconservative editorialist John J Duncan Jr.

These organized Leftwing disruptions during Trump rally's are little more than an effort to silence political speech...and Americans are seeing them for precisely what they are. You don't need to be a Trump supporter to acknowledge that these tactics are related to those which have brought us "safe spaces" and "free speech zones" on campuses...and they are the antithesis of respect for free speech. Protesters have every right to protest in their own venues, but they do not have a right to silence the political speech of those they dislike...we've seen this on campuses for years, with conservative speakers and students being shouted down rather than debated. Its disgusting.

Finally, anyone blaming Trump for creating an "atmosphere" leading to violence is little different than those who blame rape victims for not dressing modestly...in both cases, it is the actor not the actee who bears full blame.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Trump protest tactics backfiring.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:01:50 am »
They forget Alinsky works both ways. Complain about the violence at Trump's rallies, then use even greater violence to protest him is not going to win people over. It reeks of hypocrisy when you can't hold yourself to your own standards.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 01:03:43 am »
I don't see where it's helping Trump though.  He's stuck in the mid 30s at winning voters in primaries.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:10:09 am »
I don't see where it's helping Trump though.  He's stuck in the mid 30s at winning voters in primaries.

It's probably just churn. For every sympathy vote he gains, he loses one who's aghast.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:11:28 am »
Has anyone here considered the possibility that all this protest activity may in fact be a Trump sponsored ploy to bolster support for him?

I don't kow if it is or isn't  but I  do know it is distinctly possible.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 01:12:36 am »
Has anyone here considered the possibility that all this protest activity may in fact be a Trump sponsored ploy to bolster support for him?

I don't kow if it is or isn't  but I  do know it is distinctly possible.

Doubtful. What it is is people trying to provoke an overreaction.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 01:14:20 am »
Trump's campaign manager was caught collaring a protester tonight:

Here's the Trump campaign's response:

sunsentinello ‏@sunsentinello  20m20 minutes ago

@JaxAlemany @mckaycoppins People sure do get pulled down a lot when Corey Lewandowski is around.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline raml

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 04:28:20 am »
Bull Crap you sure hate Trump quit looking for things that don't exist you look a bit paranoid and so do the other anti trump people. A lot of people really like him give and you aren't going to change that and you would be surprised how many people are now endorsing him and my friends who are changing over to him from Cruz very smart people not stupid ones.. They hate the protesters and admire Trump for not giving into the punks and feel he will stand up for "we the people" if elected.

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 08:21:55 am »
New Poll: Left-Wing Protesters Drive People into Arms of Donald Trump
Trump canceling Chicago event made Republicans more likely to vote for him.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/14/new-poll-left-wing-protesters-drive-peop

Robby Soave|Mar. 14, 2016 2:45 pm

TrumpTodd KraninDonald Trump's supporters aren't fazed by his decision to cancel an appearance at a Chicago rally over the weekend—in fact, they are more likely to vote for him to be the Republican nominee because of it.

That's according to a new poll of likely Republican voters conducted by Monmouth University. It confirms something I've long suspected (and have argued in previous articles): the antics of left-wing agitators are driving ordinary people into the arms of Trump.

The poll noted that pro-Trump and anti-Trump forces clashed in Chicago last Friday, which prompted Trump to cancel the event. It then asked respondents whether this fact made them more or less likely to support Trump. Just 11 percent said they were less likely to support Trump because of this decision. Another 22 percent said they were actually more likely to back Trump, and 66 percent said their views were unchanged.

Leftist protesters who vehemently oppose Trump would do well to remember that in a free society, even contemptible speakers are permitted to be heard. As New York Magazine's Jonathan Chait wrote in a recent piece:

But the whole premise of democracy is that rules need to be applied in every case without regard to the merit of the underlying cause to which it is attached. If you defend the morality of a tactic against Trump, then you should be prepared to defend its morality against any candidate. Now imagine that right-wing protesters had set out to disrupt Barack Obama’s speeches in 2008. If you’re not okay with that scenario, you should not be okay with protesters doing it to Trump.

Indeed. But the Monmouth poll is good evidence that letting Trump speak is not merely the morally correct, philosophically consistent course of action: It's the tactically sound one as well. When the left stops Trump from speaking, Trump wins. He gets to tell his people that the forces of far-left activism and political correctness are trying to silence him. Implicitly, he is suggesting to his followers that when he becomes president, the tides will turn: see his promise to make it easier to sue newspapers for criticizing him. Trump supporters adore this shtick. Stop giving them ammunition.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:22:58 am by rangerrebew »

A-Lert

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 08:59:34 am »
If Trump is "liberal" as some posters here claim, why are the liberals protesting and spending millions to defeat his candidacy in the primary? The posters here claim Trump couldn't win in November so wouldn't you expect the opposition party to support him?

Anti-Trumps are irrational!

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 12:08:57 pm »
Trump's campaign manager was caught collaring a protester tonight:

Here's the Trump campaign's response:

sunsentinello ‏@sunsentinello  20m20 minutes ago

@JaxAlemany @mckaycoppins People sure do get pulled down a lot when Corey Lewandowski is around.
  So people who. go to political rallies  and cause chaos and disruption  should be treated with kid gloves.

I got news for you I. Dont care if these leftist ass****  get their ass beaten.

They have been pulling this crap for too long and now there is push back

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:31:52 pm by Charlespg »
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton