Author Topic: Essay: "Our Government Was Designed to Protect Us from the Trumps of the World"  (Read 722 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Kevin D. Williamson
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/432941/donald-trump-populist-demagogue-john-adams-anticipated

There is a line from John Adams of which conservatives, particularly those of a moralistic bent, are fond:
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.” The surrounding prose is quoted much less
frequently, and it is stern stuff dealing with one of Adams’s great fears — one that is particularly relevant to this
moment in our history.

John Adams hated democracy and he feared what was known in the language of the time as “passion.” Adams’s
famous assessment: “I do not say that democracy has been more pernicious on the whole, and in the long run,
than monarchy or aristocracy. Democracy has never been and never can be so durable as aristocracy or monarchy;
but while it lasts, it is more bloody than either.” Democracy, he wrote, “never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts,
and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide. It is in vain to say that democracy
 is less vain, less proud, less selfish, less ambitious, or less avaricious than aristocracy or monarchy. It is not true,
in fact, and nowhere appears in history. Those passions are the same in all men, under all forms of simple
government, and when unchecked, produce the same effects of fraud, violence, and cruelty.”

If you are wondering why that pedantic conservative friend of yours corrects you every time you describe our form
of government as democracy — “It’s a republic!” he will insist — that is why. Your pedantic conservative friend
probably is supporting Ted Cruz. The democratic passions that so terrified Adams have filled the sails of Donald
Trump.

At some point within the past few decades (it is difficult to identify the exact genesis) the rhetorical affectation of
politicians’ presuming to speak for “We the People” became fashionable. Three words from the preamble to the
Constitution came to stand in for a particular point of view and a particular set of assumptions present in both
of our major national political tendencies. Molly Ivins, the shallow progressive polemicist, liked to thunder that
“We the People don’t have a lobbyist!” She liked to call lobbyists “lobsters,” too, a half-joke that she, at least,
never tired of. Dr. Ben Carson likes to draft “We the People” into his service. Sean Hannity is very fond of the phrase,
and so-called conservative talk radio currently relies heavily on the assumption that the phrase is intended to
communicate: that there exists on one side of a line a group of people called “Americans” and on the other side
a group called “the Establishment,” and that “We the People” are getting screwed by “Them.”

I write “so-called” conservative talk radio because the radio mob dropped conservatism with something like military
parade-ground precision the moment it looked like the ratings — and hence the juice — were on the other side.
Donald Trump, talked up endlessly by the likes of Hannity and Laura Ingraham, apologized for by Rush Limbaugh,
and indulged far too deeply for far too long by far too many others, rejects conservatism. He rejects free trade. He
rejects property rights. He rejects the rule of law. He rejects limited government. He advocates a presidency a thousand
 times more imperial than the one that sprung Athena-like from the brow of Barack Obama and his lawyers. He
meditates merrily upon the uses of political violence and riots, and dreams of shutting down newspapers critical of
him. He isn’t a conservative of any stripe, and it is an outright lie to present him as anything other than what he is.

What he is is the embodiment of the democratic passions that kept John Adams up at night. Trumpkin democracy
is the democracy that John Adams warned us about.

A proper republic under the rule of law is, as Adams wrote, “deaf as an adder to the clamors of the populace.” It is
that which “no passion can disturb” and “void of desire and fear, lust and anger,” being, as it is, “mens sine affectu.”
The Trump movement is light on the mens, being almost entirely affectu. Our law is a law of property, commerce,
trade, and individual rights. The democratic passion — which informs the campaign of Bernie Sanders as much as
it does that of Donald Trump — rejects those things. It would see unpopular points of view quashed, First Amendment
be damned, a project already well under way among Democrats seeking to criminalize dissenting views on global
warming. The democratic passion demands the expropriation of Apple and Goldman Sachs, projects Trump considers
with some glee. It demands a central-planning regime in place of the free flow of goods and capital, not because that’s
 good economics — it isn’t — but because such a regime would constitute an act of economic and political violence
 against Them.

These ideas are on the rise in many places, notably among adherents of Jean-Marie Le Pen’s Front Nationale in France
and the Golden Dawn in beleaguered Greece, which latter group, despite reports of its demise, remains very much with
us. In our time as in Adams’s time, the worst of human nature is a threat amplified in the United States by the openness
of our society and the liberality of our institutions. Adams again:

While our country remains untainted with the principles and manners which are now producing desolation
in so many parts of the world; while she continues sincere, and incapable of insidious and impious policy, we shall have
the strongest reason to rejoice in the local destination assigned us by Providence. But should the people of America
once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the
language of justice and moderation, while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays in the most captivating
manner the charming pictures of candour, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country
 will be the most miserable habitation in the world. Because we have no government, armed with power, capable of
contending with human passions, unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness
would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only
for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. Oaths in this country are as
yet universally considered as sacred obligations. That which you have taken, and so solemnly repeated on that venerable
ground, is an ample pledge of your sincerity and devotion to your country and its government.

As difficult as it is to imagine Donald Trump taking the presidential oath of office, it is much more difficult to imagine
him taking it seriously, or indeed to imagine that there exists anything that is to him a “sacred obligation.”

The federal character of the United States, and the fractured nature of the federal government — its three coequal
branches and its further subdivided bicameral legislature — are designed to frustrate “We the People” when the people
fall into dangerous and violent error of the sort with which they are now flirting. Yes, there are people in power
maneuvering to frustrate the will of “We the People” on a dozen different things, ranging from economic and national-
defense policy to the specific matter of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign. That is prudence and patriotism, and
the constitutional architecture of these United States is designed to prevent democratic passion from prevailing. Have
your talk-radio temper tantrum. Have your riots. Our form of government, even in its current distorted state, was
designed to handle and absorb your passions. You may dream of a dictator, but you will not have one.
===================================================================
If only I could be sure that that last line were a hundred percent true. If we end up with either Donaldus Minimus
or Hilarious Rodent Clinton, we may end up with a dictator. One will make few if any bones about it, the other will couch it
in all the usual portside rhetoric and lip service.

No matter who'd win that race, we'd be screwed.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

A proper republic under the rule of law is, as Adams wrote, “deaf as an adder to the clamors of the populace.” It is
that which “no passion can disturb” and “void of desire and fear, lust and anger,” being, as it is, “mens sine affectu.”
The Trump movement is light on the mens, being almost entirely affectu. Our law is a law of property, commerce,
trade, and individual rights. The democratic passion — which informs the campaign of Bernie Sanders as much as
it does that of Donald Trump — rejects those things. It would see unpopular points of view quashed, First Amendment
be damned,

Best line in the piece.  All affect, no thought.

Populism.  Exactly what Adams warned us not to do.

Pay attention, people.  We're heading for disaster......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frederic Bastiat
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
"There is no art which one government sooner learns of another than that of draining money from the pockets of the people."

Adam Smith
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:03:59 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
“Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder. “

George Washington, Letter to Major-General Robert Howe, 17 August 1779

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
"It is for us, fellow citizens, to watch over the sacred legacy of our venerated Fathers, and, when necessary, ‘to provide other guards for the future security’ of ourselves and our posterity. To restore, when impaired, our free institutions to their original strength and purity, and to guard them in future against the open or covert assaults of their enemies. To preserve those institutions pure and uncontaminated, amidst the dangerous and corrupting influences of those who, guided not by the spirit of virtue and patriotism, seek only their own personal interests and personal aggrandizement is a sacred and solemn duty which we own to ourselves, and to those who are destined to walk after us."

Nathan Smith

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
"Government, in my humble opinion, should be formed to secure and to enlarge the exercise of the natural rights of its members; and every government, which has not this in view, as its principal object, is not a government of the legitimate kind."

James Wilson, Lectures on Law, 1791

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
“No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders. “

Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, November 4, 1775

It's not like we weren't warned!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

“Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder. “

Said Ted Cruz to anyone who would listen.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse.---James Madison.

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.---Madison, again.

When people say 'let's do something about it', they mean 'let's get hold of the political machinery so that we can do something to somebody else.' And that somebody is invariably you.---Frank Chodorov.

The people as a body cannot deliberate. Nevertheless, they will feel an irresistible impulse to act, and their resolutions will be dictated to them by their demagogues... and the violent men, who are the most forward to gratify those passions, will be their favorites.---Fisher Ames.

There is nothing more fearful than ignorance in action.---Goethe.

Whenever a man has cast a longing eye on offices, a rottenness begins in his conduct.---Thomas Jefferson.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence. It is force, and like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

George Washington

- J. R. R. Tolkien