Author Topic: Karl Rove fears slump in general election turnout with Trump as nominee  (Read 1506 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/273360-karl-rove-fears-slump-in-general-election-turnout-with

March 17, 2016, 05:59 am
Karl Rove fears slump in general election turnout with Trump as nominee

By Megan R. Wilson

Karl Rove, a longtime critic of Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump, said late Wednesday that voters could stay home in November if the businessman becomes his party's nominee but doesn’t change his strategy for the general election fight.

The GOP operative spoke with Democratic counterpart David Plouffe, who worked on President Obama’s campaigns, at an event held by technology company SAP at the Newseum. For much of the panel, the questions were framed around a hypothetical situation in which Trump and Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton had become the nominees.

During a discussion about the role of data in campaigns, Rove said that if Trump doesn’t “change his understanding of the voter he’s talking to” once the primaries are over, he could be in for trouble.

While general election turnout had been on the rise for several election years, the percentage of registered voters who turned out to vote in the 2012 general election dropped significantly.

“I would not be surprised again to see it drop again this time,” said Rove, who helped run sophisticated presidential campaigns for former President George W. Bush and served in his administration.

“We’re going to have a much larger group of people, and I don’t know what [amount] it is, who look at both of these candidates and see two flawed people and say, 'I’m trying to decide between two not-great choices,' ” he said, of Trump and Clinton, “and therefore, they’re going to find it more difficult to make a decision and stay with a decision.”

Rove has frequently criticized Trump's campaign. He wrote in a Wall Street Journal op-ed earlier this year that the GOP would lose the White House, the Senate and many of its House seats if Trump is the Republican nominee.

Trump still has a ways to go before becoming the GOP nominee, though a path is clearing. The real estate mogul has a total of 673 delegates following Tuesday’s most recent primaries. It takes 1,237 to win the nomination.

Clinton, meanwhile, is inching closer to wrapping up the nomination on the Democratic side, despite various gaffes and controversies, such as a federal investigation into the use of a private email server during her time as secretary of State.

“Right now [Trump] is talking to Republican primary voter,” Rove continued, “and —particularly in this election — [that] is going to be different than the general election swing voter.”

Reports of Trump’s unwillingness to shell out the cash for sophisticated voter data modeling — which helped both Bush and Obama take the White House — have led some to question whether he can carry his momentum from the primary into the general election should he secure the GOP nomination.

“General elections have a different set of voters and the role of analytics and modeling” is much more important, said Plouffe, who also said the Obama campaign had “modeled everybody in America.”

“Everybody had a score. And we made every decision based on those predictive models and how they moved,” he said.

“General elections aren’t so much about momentum; this is about trench warfare,” Plouffe said.

While Trump has been successful in the most primary contests so far this election season — and GOP voter turnout has surged — Rove lamented that Trump had yet to receive support from at least half the voters in any state so far, saying that the increase in voters flocking to the polls shouldn’t be attributed to the New York billionaire.

“We’ve never had a nominee who took so long to get to a point where they actually took 50 percent in any given contest,” he said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

Is it just me or does Rove have a puss that just begs to be slapped into next week? :pondering:

Offline GAJohnnie

Rove is an idiot. his assumption that everyone not currently voting for Trump is an automatic anti Trump vote is just utterly moronic.

By this standard both Cruz and Kaisch, getting even less voters then Trump are going to do even worse against Hillary.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Am I the only one who sees that based on results, Karl Rove is far from the top of his game?

Maybe time for him to hang it up. If I was a billionaire and my secretary said Karl Rove was on the line, I would tell her to tell him I was not available.

He is continuing to take peoples' money, and squander it, while taking 15% of the top.

He is the epitome of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

I am surprised that Fox continues putting him on the screen.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline MBB1984

Karl Rove is afraid his fat arse may be out of a job.

Bill Cipher

Karl Rove is afraid his fat arse may be out of a job.

Why, because Trump can fire him too?

HAPPY2BME

Trump: Karl Rove's "Hatred" Of Me Is "Like A Boiler Waiting To Explode"

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/01/20/trump_karl_roves_hatred_of_me_is_like_a_boiler_waiting_to_explode.html

Donald Trump ripped Karl Rove at a campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma this afternoon that featured former Gov. Sarah Palin.

TRUMP: Karl Rove, this guy he predicted -- he thinks Romney won the election. Remember? Romney won. He won. I'm telling you. They had to take him off the air in a basket. This guy -- and he's -- everything. I had a poll that was so incredible. I was killing everybody. Like a month ago. He is on television saying, 'Well, it can change. It doesn't mean that much. It can change.' He couldn't hold his breath. He is like a boiler waiting to explode. The hatred. The hatred. It's establishment. Because I'm not taking anybody's money. I don't want their money. They don't control me. I'm doing when's right for you.

Offline sinkspur

“We’ve never had a nominee who took so long to get to a point where they actually took 50 percent in any given contest,” he said.

Rove knows politics, and he's right about this. 

It is pretty remarkable that people are saying Trump is inevitable when of the 20.3M million GOP votes cast so far he's won just 7.5M.  More have voted against him than for him, and many of those are Democrats who will go home to Hillary in November. 

And then there's the #NeverTrump movement, which is real and it is growing.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

Am I the only one who sees that based on results, Karl Rove is far from the top of his game?

Maybe time for him to hang it up. If I was a billionaire and my secretary said Karl Rove was on the line, I would tell her to tell him I was not available.

He is continuing to take peoples' money, and squander it, while taking 15% of the top.

He is the epitome of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

I am surprised that Fox continues putting him on the screen.

It is wierd.  The man is a hasbeen.  For some reason he is able to live off of his "one trick pony" achievement like he is an oracal of political wisdom.   In Roves case if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance...baffle 'em with bullshit.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If Trump was as popular as his supporters claim, he'd be easily getting over 50% of the popular vote. Last I heard he's barely or not even getting 40%.

So he's got ~40% of GOP primary voters, which is an amazingly small percentage of the voting population.

Offline musiclady

Re: Karl Rove fears slump in general election turnout with Trump as nominee
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 03:52:43 pm »
If the choice is between corrupt, disgusting Hillary and corrupt, disgusting Donald, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that people will stay home.

Rove is stating the obvious........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Carling

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 03:55:26 pm »
Why, because Trump can fire him too?

Trump would have to hire him first in order to fire him.

Arf arf!
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 03:57:04 pm »
If the choice is between corrupt, disgusting Hillary and corrupt, disgusting Donald, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that people will stay home.

Rove is stating the obvious........

Well the turnout in the GOP primaries compared to 2008 and 2012 says otherwise but continue to tilt at those windmills!  Unless you're talking about the lower Dem numbers compared to those years?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 03:59:32 pm »
Trump would have to hire him first in order to fire him.

Arf arf!

:boring:

Offline Carling

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 04:05:17 pm »
:boring:

Arf Arf!  Sink give him a treat! 

Good boy!

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 04:24:06 pm »
Rove's record,

Technical victory but popular vote defeat in 2000

Skin of the teeth win in what should of been a slam dunk election in  2004

Complete fail 2008 and 2012.

So we suppose to take the ideas of a 1-1-2 pitcher seriously?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 04:27:21 pm »
Rove's record,

And Trump cannot even get over 50% in the primary.

Rove wins.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 04:35:32 pm »
Rove's record,

Rove didn't manage any campaigns in 2008 or 2012.  You didn't know that?

Rove is batting 1.000 in terms of campaigns he managed.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 04:38:06 pm »
Sure ignore Rove's history of fail just because he gives the Hate Trump Always squad another reason to vomit forth their rabid hysteric hate for Trump

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 05:06:39 pm »
He's probably right as GOP turnout this cycle is way down, and Dem turnout is way up.

Oh, wait...that's entirely, diametrically incorrect...turns out GOP turnout has vastly increased thanks in large part to Mr. Trump, while the Dems are trending strongly downward from previous turnout totals. Ooops!
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 05:09:11 pm »
He's probably right as GOP turnout this cycle is way down, and Dem turnout is way up.

Oh, wait...that's entirely, diametrically incorrect...turns out GOP turnout has vastly increased thanks in large part to Mr. Trump, while the Dems are trending strongly downward from previous turnout totals. Ooops!

===========================

Truth hurts.  Especially the GOPe.  Bill Kristol will disclaim every word of that.

Offline Carling

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 05:10:06 pm »
Rove didn't manage any campaigns in 2008 or 2012.  You didn't know that?

Rove is batting 1.000 in terms of campaigns he managed.

Rove was behind Kay Bailey Hutchinson's failed attempt at taking out Rick Perry in the 2010 primary.

Did you forget how I schooled you on that one, Mr. Insider?

And while he didn't "manage" Romeny's campaign, he was very active in that loser's failed attempt at beating Obama.

Rove rides again, as a force behind Romney

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-campaign-rove-idUSBRE83I1K120120419
Nearly a decade ago he was dubbed "Bush's Brain," for his influence in guiding Republican George W. Bush to the U.S. presidency.

This year, Karl Rove could be Mitt Romney's brawn.

Perhaps no one, besides Romney himself, will have a greater influence on the course of the Republican presidential campaign this fall than Rove, the brash, often-controversial architect of Bush's two successful bids for the White House.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:12:11 pm by Carling »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 05:21:20 pm »
Carling your posts are unnecessary and bordering on personal attacks..please stop.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 05:23:18 pm »

And even with the stronger turnout, Trump manages less than 40% of the GOP vote (with some Dems thrown in).

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 05:24:07 pm »
Rove was behind Kay Bailey Hutchinson's failed attempt at taking out Rick Perry in the 2010 primary.

Did you forget how I schooled you on that one, Mr. Insider?

And while he didn't "manage" Romeny's campaign, he was very active in that loser's failed attempt at beating Obama.

Rove rides again, as a force behind Romney

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-campaign-rove-idUSBRE83I1K120120419

We are speaking here of presidential campaigns.