Author Topic: Marco Rubio Says Ted Cruz Is the Only Conservative In the Race  (Read 815 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2016/03/17/marco-rubio-says-ted-cruz-conservative-race/

Former presidential candidate Marco Rubio told a group of Minnesota supporters Wednesday he is hoping one of the remaining candidates for president will stop Donald Trump from winning the Republican nomination — and that Texas Sen. Ted Cruz could be the best option for conservatives.

Rubio, who dropped out of the race Tuesday after losing his home state of Florida, didn’t endorse any of his former rivals in a conference call with dozens of Minnesota supporters. In the call, he explained his decision to leave the race and why he felt his presidential campaign didn’t do better, and suggested he might run for office again at some point in the future.

He said he saw no real path forward for his campaign after losing Florida and its 99 winner-take-all delegates. He acknowledged he could have stayed in the race with the intention of seeking the nomination at the convention, but said he would have had to run a shoestring campaign with no money to defend himself.

…

He didn’t endorse either Texas Sen. Ted Cruz or Ohio Gov. John Kasich, the two other remaining candidates. But Rubio praised Cruz as “the only conservative left in the race.”

This is a good sign though an endorsement would have been much better. If Ted Cruz is going to stop Donald Trump the 60+% of the GOP electorate that has rejected Trump so far must coalesce behind one candidate and that candidate is not John Kasich. I suspect the online Rubio fans who treated Rubio’s various 2d, 3d, and 4th place finishes as signs that he was winning will join the #NeverCruz camp, and good riddance, but the great majority of GOP voters will probably decide to vote for Cruz whether or not they like him.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Marco Rubio Says Ted Cruz Is the Only Conservative In the Race
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 02:07:13 pm »
Actually, I am quite surprised.  I thought if Rubio would throw support to anyone it would be Kasich.  Maybe Rubio has realized that the 'establishment's' day are over?  I wonder why he didn't just come out and endorse Cruz?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 02:12:57 pm »
I am surprised as the speed of this comment. Usually candidates give it a week or so to collect themselves after a big loss to start backing someone.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 02:15:26 pm »
Actually, I am quite surprised.  I thought if Rubio would throw support to anyone it would be Kasich.  Maybe Rubio has realized that the 'establishment's' day are over?  I wonder why he didn't just come out and endorse Cruz?

Maybe he realized that Kasich will also inevitably have to withdraw and so the only strategic move is to side with Cruz.  Cruz may not be the darling of the rank and file, but at least he's not a liberal like Trump. 

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:20:15 pm »
I am surprised as the speed of this comment. Usually candidates give it a week or so to collect themselves after a big loss to start backing someone.

Good observation.  I think Rubio was genuinely embarrassed and remorseful (as his actions backfired) for his debate fiasco in trying to take out Trump by stooping to his level.  Perhaps he learned something from Cruz and that is why he made the comment about Cruz's conservatism.  Integrity is everything.  Cruz does what he says and means what he says ... a lesson hopefully Rubio has learned.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 02:24:26 pm »
And what are Rubio's accomplishments, upon which to base the value of his recommendations?

Good speeches. Same as Cruz. And nothing beyond that. Nada. BTW his dad was a bartender, but he will very soon be making about $1 million per year, based on zero accomplishments, save those aforementioned speeches.

As Cruz calls it, the DC cartel.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 02:38:28 pm »
BTW Cruz must win 87% of the remaining delegates to arrive at Cleveland with 1237.

Kasich must win 115% of the remaining delegates to arrive at Cleveland with 1237. Yes I know Kasich has accomplishments, but these days he sounds like a democrat.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 02:40:37 pm »
#NeverTrump
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 02:41:43 pm »
BTW Cruz must win 87% of the remaining delegates to arrive at Cleveland with 1237.

Kasich must win 115% of the remaining delegates to arrive at Cleveland with 1237. Yes I know Kasich has accomplishments, but these days he sounds like a democrat.

Your missing a candidate. What percent does Don need to wrap it up and what are the odds he does consistently winning states under 50%?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »
Your missing a candidate. What percent does Don need to wrap it up and what are the odds he does consistently winning states under 50%?
Trump needs to win about 48% of the remaining delegates. That can be done with less than 48% of the votes, btw. (see Missouri)

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 04:00:20 pm »
Rubio is absolutely correct, and I hope that every bit of his support goes to Ted Cruz.

If we don't get a Conservative as our nominee, we will not win the Presidency, and even if by some bizarre chance Trump would win the presidency, we will lose the country.

Now Kasich needs to follow suit..........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 04:02:43 pm »

So?  A brokered convention doesn't require either result.  Oh, wait, I forgot about Trump's extortionate threat about riots if he doesn't get the nomination even if he only has a plurality.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 06:49:51 pm »
So?  A brokered convention doesn't require either result.  Oh, wait, I forgot about Trump's extortionate threat about riots if he doesn't get the nomination even if he only has a plurality.

Hilarious isn't it. Almost as hilarious as listening to Trump try to explain why he should win even if he doesn't get the necessary delegates. I truly believe he has no idea what the rules are for winning the party's nomination. He consistently mixes up the difference between votes and delegates.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 06:53:18 pm »
Hilarious isn't it. Almost as hilarious as listening to Trump try to explain why he should win even if he doesn't get the necessary delegates. I truly believe he has no idea what the rules are for winning the party's nomination. He consistently mixes up the difference between votes and delegates.

You'd better believe that Trump doesn't know the rules.

He thinks he can make up the rules.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 06:59:19 pm »

Kasich is a very liberal leaning 'Republican' and he and Trump are two peas in a pod!  My may concern with Kasich besides his pro-amnesty stance is his opposition to expanding the military.  While I do agree with him that our troops should only be under the lead of the U.S. and not the U.N., his acceptance of the IRAN nuke deal leaves me questioning his logic.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kasich were to be Trump's VP pick.  Of all the candidates, he's pretty much left Johnny alone. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:05:09 pm by libertybele »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 07:00:30 pm »
You'd better believe that Trump doesn't know the rules.

He thinks he can make up the rules.

Exactly.  The more I listen to Trump, the more I realize how clueless he really is.  Certainly not fit or ready to be Commander in Chief!