Author Topic: In Seattle, number of crimes way up compared to pre-legal pot era  (Read 948 times)

rangerrebew

March 16, 2016
In Seattle, number of crimes way up compared to pre-legal pot era
By Sierra Rayne

The 2015 crime data has been released for Seattle, and the results are not pretty for the legal marijuana advocates.

Between 2008 and 2012, the number of total crimes and property crimes in the city was stable or declining, consistent with trends at the national level.  Since adult possession of marijuana became legal in December 2012, the number of crimes has risen rapidly.

The average number of crimes per year during the post-legal pot period (2013-2015) is 17% higher than the three-year period (2010-2012) before legalization.

Population growth does not explain the abrupt change, as the annual growth rate is only about 2%.  In addition, the national crime rate has continued to decline over this period, suggesting that something unusual is going on in Seattle.

Given that we see the same pre-/post-pot legalization crime pattern in Denver, while correlation is not necessarily causation, it is certainly suggestive based on the data from these geographically distinct regions.

Time must also be taken to debunk a key talking point of legal marijuana proponents: equating the difficulties of alcohol prohibition with marijuana prohibition.  These two drugs present very different law enforcement challenges.  The former can never be effectively eliminated, whereas availability of the latter can be substantially reduced via criminalization.

The active ingredient in alcohol is, of course, ethanol.  Almost any fruit, vegetable, and grain – as well as innumerable other foods (e.g., tree sap, milk, sugar, honey, etc.) can be easily fermented into a crude alcohol with nothing more complicated than a couple of pails or other containers. Consequently, prohibiting access to the raw materials for making alcohol is impossible – it would necessitate the outlawing of food itself.

On the other hand, the main psychoactive agent in marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and the plant used to make marijuana is the only effective plant source for THC.  Consequently, if we want to control public access to THC, banning the production or import of marijuana is all that is required.  As difficult as this has proven to be – particularly in the globalization era, whereby massive numbers of shipping containers and vessels enter the country each day, making a comprehensive search effort impractical – it is a whole different ballgame from the theoretically impossible goal of banning alcohol production.

In short, a prohibition on the materials from which alcohol is derived would lead to immediate mass starvation and, soon thereafter, the extinction of the human species (i.e., we would need to pretty much ban the biosphere), whereas a prohibition on the materials from which THC is derived requires us ONLY to criminalize a single largely commercially irrelevant, plant species.  Attempting to equate these two efforts is intellectual nonsense and belies a clear lack of knowledge regarding the underlying science behind the two drugs.

Consequently, many of those who oppose alcohol criminalization but support a marijuana prohibition are neither being hypocritical nor ignoring the negative societal and health impacts of excessive alcohol consumption.  Rather, they are being practical.  It is theoretically impossible to ban access to the raw ingredients for alcohol production.  Not so the case for access to the THC in marijuana.

As well, just a cursory look at the nations that have current prohibitions, either entirely or partially, on alcohol should cause one to question any notions of adopting this policy.

These countries are a “who's who” of domestic and international dysfunction, including India, where rapes and acid attacks against women and children are commonplace and religious strife is endemic.  Clearly not model societies for the support of alcohol prohibition.  In fact, perhaps these are cultures where an occasional drink in moderation would do some good.

On the other hand, the vast majority of stable, modern democracies prospered in the latter half of the twentieth century without legalizing marijuana.  And as Colorado and Washington State are finding out, once the genie is out of the bottle, it is hard to put back in.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/03/in_seattle_number_of_crimes_way_up_compared_to_prelegal_pot_era.html#ixzz433lwG4Nc
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

A-Lert

Re: In Seattle, number of crimes way up compared to pre-legal pot era
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:28 am »
Coming to a state, county, city, town, neighborhood near you.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 03:57:48 pm »
Coming to a state, county, city, town, neighborhood near you.
Every state that has gone legal on pot has gone to pot and getting worse.  The whole "medical' argument is phony.  The medical use is not based upon smoking it but rather an extract of the plant is used to treat some issues, there is no need to get high to get by....
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 04:38:09 pm »
Every state that has gone legal on pot has gone to pot and getting worse.  The whole "medical' argument is phony.  The medical use is not based upon smoking it but rather an extract of the plant is used to treat some issues, there is no need to get high to get by....
Agreed. I don't know enough about medicine or chemistry to say whether or not THC/marijuana truly is the wonder drug some folks seem to believe it is. Whether there are other drugs that are equally or more effective for pain and the other ailments for which the medical marijuana crowd says weed is the best treatment, I don't know. But I've always wondered whether the extract shouldn't be in a pill form where there's some consistency of dosage and purity, that wouldn't require the patient to smoke (harmful to lungs) and become intoxicated.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 04:42:33 pm »
I can say - anecdotally - that it works for chronic pain when nothing else will. Seen it too many times to just dismiss it outright as a claim by the potheads.
I would like to see proper studies done - or as proper a study as CAN be done with something as subjective as pain management.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 04:52:52 pm »
I can say - anecdotally - that it works for chronic pain when nothing else will. Seen it too many times to just dismiss it outright as a claim by the potheads.
I would like to see proper studies done - or as proper a study as CAN be done with something as subjective as pain management.  :shrug:
I had a long talk with 2 docs on this yesterday.  Docs unrelated in any way, not even in the same town.  I brought it up as its a supposed aid in one of my issues and I have never used any illegal drug in my life.  What they both said its NOT the smoking that relieves the pain, its the compound and yes you get the compound thru smoking, but the get high is the side effect.  They extract the compound and can give it to you via pill or liquid from and there is not smoke involved.  That is the point, all the states they have gone legal have done so for smoking which solves no problem it just creates pot heads in most cases.  DUI's in those states have gone thru the roof...
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 04:55:14 pm »
  DUI's in those states have gone thru the roof...
That's something that rarely is talked about as part of the legalization discussion.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 05:19:11 pm »
Wasn't it also reported that crime in the Denver area is also up considerably, as well...?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 10:22:45 pm »
That's something that rarely is talked about as part of the legalization discussion.

I'm pretty sure global warming is the cause of the crime increase. 888sunglass

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 12:29:44 am »

This has zero to to wih Medical marijuana. That was legal in WA for a couple of years before they went to the next step and passed recreational use. With the recreational use came the crimes, the intoxicated drivers, the home invasions.  But even the medical marijuana is not without its issues. Some of these places (identified by a green cross) had very sleazy customers hanging around. We had two within a mile of our house. Both were closed by authorities due to not following the letter of the law when it came to issuing pot. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn