Author Topic: Top conservatives gather to plot third-party run against Trump  (Read 2109 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/top-conservatives-gather-to-plot-third-party-run-against-trump-220786

Top conservatives gather to plot third-party run against Trump

The meeting is scheduled for two days after tonight's primaries in what many Republican operatives believe will determine whether Trump is on an unstoppable march to the nomination.

By Shane Goldmacher

03/15/16 02:33 PM EDT

Three influential leaders in the conservative movement have summoned other top conservatives for a closed-door meeting this Thursday in Washington D.C. to talk about how to stop Donald Trump and, should he become the Republican nominee, how to run a third-party “true conservative” challenger in the fall.

The organizers of the meeting include Bill Wichterman, who was President George W. Bush’s liaison to the conservative movement, Bob Fischer, a South Dakota businessman and longtime conservative convener, and Erick Erickson, the outspoken Trump opponent and conservative activist who founded RedState.com.

"Please join other conservative leaders to strategize how to defeat Donald Trump for the Republican nomination,” the three wrote in an invitation obtained by POLITICO that recently went out to conservative leaders, "and if he is the Republican nominee for president, to offer a true conservative candidate in the general election."

The meeting is scheduled for Thursday, two days after winner-take-all Florida and Ohio vote in what many Republican operatives believe will determine whether Trump is on an unstoppable march to the nomination or is likely to stall out short of the 1,237 delegates he needs.

One person involved in the gathering described it as in the “embryonic” stages.“ It’s not like there’s a royal grand plan that’s going to be unfurled," this person said. "People aren’t giving up on the Republican Party yet."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/top-conservatives-gather-to-plot-third-party-run-against-trump-220786#ixzz430Mq8bT2

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

A-Lert

Re: Top conservatives gather to plot third-party run against Trump
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:31:27 pm »
DUMB! Go ahead and alienate millions of voters. Keep the leaderless party floundering aimlessly!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:33:46 pm »
DUMB! Go ahead and alienate millions of voters. Keep the leaderless party floundering aimlessly!

Trump beat them to it. He's already alienated millions of voters, including Republicans.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:34:11 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:35:22 pm »
These aren't leaders. These are pompous blowhards who think they have leadership potions.  Their following is in the hundreds. Not nearly enough to be of any relevance.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:38:29 pm by GAJohnnie »

A-Lert

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:47:20 pm »
Trump beat them to it. He's already alienated millions of voters, including Republicans.

Trump is the only candidate with the necessary leadership skills to affect change in the district of criminals. The leaderless GOP is floundering, like it has for decades. Trump isn't in this to fail and he certainly wants to be successful as the POTUS. I believe he has the drive and desire to make America great again. Failure is unacceptable.

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:04:51 pm »

This whole thing smacks of Cloward/Piven, Obama's and the democrats' favorite way of governing.

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:08:56 pm »

That's their plan.  They are telling us they don't value our opinions, and like children are scheming ways to keep control of our tax dollars.

They prefer the corrupt Hillary Clinton over an outsider like Trump running the country.  Think about that one.

These GOProgs disgust me at this point.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Longiron

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »
That's their plan.  They are telling us they don't value our opinions, and like children are scheming ways to keep control of our tax dollars.

They prefer the corrupt Hillary Clinton over an outsider like Trump running the country.  Think about that one.

These GOProgs disgust me at this point.

Exactly right Carling they perfer HILLARY and that way the UNIPARTY stays in control. Last line of defense is to broker the RNC convention and hope TRUMP runs 3 rd party. The problem is if TRUMP runs 3rd party he WINS anyway with the people who are going to vote for him either with a R label or Independent. The RINOGOPe is not going to vote for him anyway and the sitting House and Senate will lose their elections not voting for TRUMP. He has brought to many different people into the R party and he is the only reason they are involved.  :patriot:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 09:42:49 pm »
My local Libertarian party chair in our semi-small town had to order a LOT of material for all the new sign ups. A local meet and greet she had last week, that usually has 5-6 of the usual subjects show up, ended up packing her house with more than she could handle (she guessed at least 100 for something that was just word of mouth).

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 11:07:34 pm »
This is, quite simply, wrong.

Don't care that I detest Trump - if he's the pick, he's the pick. That's end of the discussion, far as I'm concerned.

While an individual may choose not to vote for him after he's the nominee, the "party" hasn't that option.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:29:07 pm »

Don't care that I detest Trump - if he's the pick, he's the pick. That's end of the discussion, far as I'm concerned.

While an individual may choose not to vote for him after he's the nominee, the "party" hasn't that option.

:amen:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 11:35:12 pm »
A little historical factoid many don't remember: In 1980 Reagan was such a big threat to some moderates, that John Anderson ran as an Independent Republican of sorts.

By itself that could have sunk Reagan and handed it to the Dems.

The rest is history.

There is whole lot of hand-wringing in Establishment Republican circles, INCLUDING many that have been claiming to be outsiders, non-establishment, even Tea Partiers, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 11:36:35 pm »

It says these are 'leaders in the Conservative movement', not party employees. It, these are prominant citizens coming together, not the business side of the party doing this.
For example, if George Will, Rush Limbaugh, and Steve Forbes want to get together and push a third party candidate, they have every right as any other group of citizens. They are not employed by the party nor have any obligation to the party.

However, Reince Priebus is employed by the party and is obligated to support the candidate the party nominates through the party channel as long as he is in the employ of the party.

Offline Carling

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 11:38:56 pm »
It says these are 'leaders in the Conservative movement', not party employees.

I'm guessing it's the NRO/DC types along with major GOProg donors who want to get paid for funding these losers.

Hardly "leaders" of any conservative movement, but I may be wrong.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 12:22:06 pm »
I'm guessing it's the NRO/DC types along with major GOProg donors who want to get paid for funding these losers.

Hardly "leaders" of any conservative movement, but I may be wrong.

This is the fridge wanna bes playing a "hey look at me I am important" group. There is no one mentioned in this article who has any poltical weight.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 12:45:00 pm »
These aren't leaders. These are pompous blowhards who think they have leadership potions.  Their following is in the hundreds. Not nearly enough to be of any relevance.

They'll have enough of a following to beat Trump.  That's all that matters.   There will be war.  There will be no reconciliation with evil.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 12:49:09 pm »
This is the very thing the leftist Republicans need to do, leave the GOP and form another party.  They will be free to advocate unequivocal amnesty, a strident neocon foreign policy, while embracing Common Core.

They need to leave the GOP immediately and not let the door hit their arse on the way out.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »
I see this as nothing more than smoke and mirrors.  They know darn well that a 3rd party run will hand the nomination to Hillary. Sure they will stop Trump but in doing so, hand it over to the DEMS. The very thing they pretty much made Trump agree that he wouldn't do.  They are also very aware that because of our electoral system it is nearly impossible for a 3rd party to win.  It is possible but highly improbable that a third–party candidate, by taking a state or two, might possibly prevent either of the major party candidates from winning an electoral college majority. This situation has not happened in the last 170 years, but in such an event, the Constitution states that the election is decided by the House of Representatives.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 05:38:08 pm »
This is probably 9/10ths journalists needing stories, and 1/10th a few calls to mid-level party hacks that lost last night.

It seems like on this forum, several people that a few weeks ago claimed to be opposed to the GOPe and now hoping the GOPe can make their wishes come true.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »
Why don't you guys get mad at the libertarians or the constitution party or the reform party?

They've been splitting the conservative vote for years.

Same as the greens or communists on the left.

It's a democracy and anyone can run. Deal with it.