Author Topic: Breitbart piece mocking editor who resigned was written under father's pseudonym  (Read 1081 times)

HonestJohn

Breitbart piece mocking editor who resigned was written under father's pseudonym
By Hadas Gold
03/14/16 09:29 AM EDT
Updated 03/14/16 09:41 AM EDT

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/03/breitbart-mocking-ben-shapiro-220712

Early Monday morning Breitbart posted, and then deleted, a piece mocking Ben Shapiro, the site's editor-at-large who resigned on Sunday evening.

"Former Breitbart News editor-at-large Ben Shapiro announced Sunday evening via left-wing Buzzfeed that he is abandoning Andrew Breitbart’s lifelong best friend, widow, hand-picked management team and friends in pursuit of an elusive contributorship at the Fox News Channel," the story begins. "It was business as usual for the ambitious conservative gadfly, who is known to live on the edge, courting and then leaving a series of companies over the past several years.

In an interview Shapiro denied he was looking to work for Fox News and that he has "never received" a job from the network. Shapiro, who is a Ted Cruz supporter, also said he did not violate his employment contract as the piece originally noted, since he is an "at will" employee.

The unusual piece, which can be read in full here, was even more shocking for Shapiro because it was posted under the pseudonym his father used while writing for the site — William Bigelow.

Shapiro's father, the writer David Shapiro, also resigned from Breitbart on Sunday evening.

According to the younger Shapiro, his father was hired under the pseudonym to protect his safety since the younger Shapiro said he received so many death threats for his writings.

"Breitbart put this under his byline because they knew I'd have to out him," Shapiro said in an interview on Monday, adding that by linking to his profile with the California State Bar the site exposed personal information, though that information is outdated. "The fact they would use my father’s pseudonym in order to attack me just exposes how despicable they are."

Shapiro and reporter Michelle Fields resigned from the site on Sunday evening after both felt the site was choosing to defend Donald Trump over their own reporter following an incident on Tuesday when Fields said she was forcibly grabbed by Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski.

Along with Fields, Shapiro, and Shapiro's father, Breitbart spokesperson Kurt Bardella parted ways with the company last week, and another editor and reporter are expected to resign on Monday, a Breitbart source told POLITICO.

In a statement, Breitbart News Editor-at-Large and In-House Counsel Joel B. Pollak said the article was written in jest.

"The article was written by me as part of an effort to make light of a significant company event, and was published as a result of a misunderstanding without going through the normal editorial channels," Pollak said. "I apologize to Michelle Fields, my friend Ben Shapiro, and to everyone concerned."

---
Hadas Gold is a reporter at Politico.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:45:54 pm by HonestJohn »

HonestJohn

Jordan Schachtel (national security correspondent) and Jarrett Stepman (editior) have also resigned from Breitbart.

Offline Frank Cannon

The article was written by me as part of an effort to make light of a significant company event

Some joke. It is filled with threats, both legally and against Shapiro's professional endevours, trashes him as human and basically denigrates everything Andrew Breitbart stood for. Trumbart is not going to be around much longer with Boyle and Bannon running things.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I guess this explains the extreme rancor from the Breitbart group:  "Shapiro, who is a Ted Cruz supporter..."

HonestJohn

Has anyone noticed that Breitbart is now the only news source that the Trump side accepts without question?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I wonder if this is the revelation that Ben was promising or if there is more to come?
Several more are following Ben. It seems there is a lot of frustration in the Breitbart camp. They've (not Ben and those leaving) ruined what Andrew created.

Offline Frank Cannon

This episode reminds me of this story from last year. It seems that the Trumbart management denials are looking very flimsy now....

Breitbart Staffers Believe Trump Has Given Money To Site For Favorable Coverage

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/breitbart-staffers-believe-trump-has-given-money-to-site-for#.jrKkQZ0bJ

Offline ABX

This is Joel Pollak, one of the guys who personally is responsible for selling Breitbart down the river and writing the fraudulently attributed article this morning.
https://www.facebook.com/joelpollak?fref=ts

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
I love the smell of Breitbrats in the morning . . . ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
That - was stupid of them.

No one who habitually uses a pseudonym will now trust them enough to write for them. You NEVER play with a pseudonym, not even if it's a house one.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ArneFufkin

Breitbart is so in the tank for Trump one wonders if there aren't "arrangements" between the campaign and that site's owners.

I'm not sure what it is - but there's something about smug dandies named "Matt" and unfettered Trump-Love:

Matthew Boyle                                           You know who

Offline ABX

Andrew Klavin has made some big statements today directed right at Breitbart's twitter feed. He and Ben are pretty close and have some outside Breitbart ventures together.

Offline ABX

Jarrett is out at Breitbart too.

Offline ArneFufkin

Has anyone noticed that Breitbart is now the only news source that the Trump side accepts without question?

Well, I did notice that if you double click HAPPY2BEME's screen name it forwards you to www.breitbart.com .    :silly:

Offline ABX

And now Jordan Schachtel

This is going to leave them at about half staff for US politics reporting. They may need to bring over some Big Hollywood people to fill in the gap.

Offline ABX

Offline ArneFufkin

Ms. Fields has it all wrong.   She needs to come to TBR because the Trump supporters here will state - ad nauseum - that it is The Donald and they, his loyal minions, who are the victims of non-stop smears and lies.   

Takes a real martyr to be a Trumpster it seems.   Or, at the very least, an Alinsky protégé.

Offline Longiron

Breitbart is so in the tank for Trump one wonders if there aren't "arrangements" between the campaign and that site's owners.

I'm not sure what it is - but there's something about smug dandies named "Matt" and unfettered Trump-Love:

Matthew Boyle                                           You know who

TRUMP don't know what you are listening or reading. CRUZ they are in the tank for. Their owner Robert Mercer is CRUZ money guy and he owns Brietbart. Wake up or it will be over! :chairbang:

Wingnut

Business as usual at TOS and Brietbart as they circle the wagons for Trump....

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
TRUMP don't know what you are listening or reading. CRUZ they are in the tank for. Their owner Robert Mercer is CRUZ money guy and he owns Brietbart. Wake up or it will be over! :chairbang:
"Their owner Robert Mercer?"

You really have no clue, do you? Does this wing of the Trump base truly think they can just invent boogeymen and claim they own any media outlet?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

*doesn't, *to, *Yoda sentence structure, *a

Oh yea, and Robert Mercer does not own Breitbart. Breitbart News LLC is a private corporation held by Andrew's family and run by Laurence Solov and Stephen Bannon. Mercer was an investor in the initial creation of Breitbart years and years ago but has no controlling authority in the company nor is listed in any operational or editorial say currently.

Offline ArneFufkin

They're in the tank for Cruz?

Okay, Longiron.  Good luck with that.

Offline ArneFufkin

Business as usual at TOS and Brietbart as they circle the wagons for Trump....

They're all looking forward to eight more years of vilifying the GOPe while Hillary destroys what is left of our Constitutional Republic.

Useless reprobates.

Offline Frank Cannon

There is a large number of dissenters voicing their concern in the comments section today at Trumpbart. Many are tying Drudge and Trumpbart together in their one sided coverage of an active Primary.

Also glad some of them mentioning that Drudge pulled the WY results Saturday when they started going very poorly for Trump. I thought that was my imagination that they were there one minute and gone the next.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.