Author Topic: How President Reagan dealt with the Berkeley protesters in 1969  (Read 5905 times)

HAPPY2BME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpg0UfpuUAs

President Reagan ordered the CHP and Berkeley police to "use whatever method they choose against the protesters". These were his own words.

HAPPY2BME

Re: How President Reagan dealt with the Berkeley protesters in 1969
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 05:52:15 am »
This is EXACTLY how Donald Trump would handle Chicago.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 06:02:06 am »
This is EXACTLY how Donald Trump would handle Chicago. 

Great find.  Thanks for posting!   :beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 06:22:17 am »
This short film proves that Trump's mindset is much like Reagan's was.

Seeing it here in black and white should tone down those sensitive tender souls that warn us that Trump is too strong is his speech.

They said much the same about Reagan. I am glad to be reminded that Reagan did not misplace blame and responsibility for rioting, unlike longwinded constitutional scholars.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 07:08:40 am »
Michael Reagan to Donald Trump: You’re No Ronald Reagan

http://www.redstate.com/dan_mclaughlin/2016/01/29/michael-reagan-donald-trump-youre-ronald-reagan/
Would YOU care to comment on what Reagan said and did, per the film ???

Forget Michael Reagan and forget Trump. What about Reagan's handling of the situation and what he said on the film.

Agree, or disagree ??

Times were far more serious. By the end of Vietnam over 58,000 Americans would die. More than 10 times the number to date in the all volunteer "war on terror." 

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 07:21:08 am »
I don't see any similarity.  Reagan handled to situation with strength.  He didn't promote violence and then cry victim. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:28:06 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 07:26:26 am »
I don't see any similarity.  Reagan handled to situation with strength.  He didn't promote violence and then cry victim.
If you don't see a similarity, you aren't serious.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 07:34:47 am »
"He didn't promote violence..."

"President Reagan ordered the CHP and Berkeley police to "use whatever method they choose against the protesters".

She's right you know. By "whatever method" then Governor Reagan meant free ice cream if they would behave, or bedtime stories, or the candy of their choice, etc. But not in any way or by any means, force.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 07:52:36 am »
If you don't see a similarity, you aren't serious.

I'm not serious?  You're not serious!  Trump goes around the nation promoting division and hate and you think you have a comparison?

I couldn't find a statement Reagan statement on Tiananmen Square but I am sure it wouldn't be similar to Mr. Trumps.  This is what I am talking about.  He promotes hate.  What would you guess Chinese students would feel about Mr. Trumps idea of strength?  Any students?  I am sure that Reagan would have condemned it.

CNN moderator Jake Tapper asked Trump to react to concerns about his previous positive comments about authoritarian dictators:

TAPPER: Mr. Trump, some of your Republican critics have expressed concern about comments you have made praising authoritarian dictators. You have said positive things about Putin as a leader, and about China’s massacre of pro-democracy protesters at Tiananmen Square, you’ve said: “When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it, then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength.”

How do you respond?

TRUMP: That doesn’t mean I was endorsing that. I was not endorsing it. I said that is a strong, powerful government that put it down with strength. And then they kept down the riot. It was a horrible thing. It doesn’t mean at all I was endorsing it.

In 1989, after Chinese troops murdered protestors, President George H.W. Bush didn’t offer amoral ramblings about strength. Instead, he defended freedom with moral clarity.

“The demonstrators in Tiananmen Square were advocating basic human rights including the freedom of expression, freedom of the press, freedom of association. These are goals we support around the world. These are freedoms that are enshrined in both the U.S. Constitution and the Chinese Constitution.”

“Throughout the world we stand with those who seek greater freedom and democracy. This is the strongly felt view of my administration, of our Congress and, most important, the American people.”

By agreeing with the Chinese government’s version of events, Trump is positioning his candidacy on the wrong side of the tank column and the wrong side of history.

http://opportunitylives.com/no-donald-tiananmen-square-was-a-massacre-not-a-riot/

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 07:55:28 am »

"President Reagan ordered the CHP and Berkeley police to "use whatever method they choose against the protesters".

She's right you know. By "whatever method" then Governor Reagan meant free ice cream if they would behave, or bedtime stories, or the candy of their choice, etc. But not in any way or by any means, force.

Different situation.  And if you think any means is telling your goons you can rough someone up and Trump will pay the legal fees your nuts.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 09:24:30 am »
http://opportunitylives.com/no-donald-tiananmen-square-was-a-massacre-not-a-riot/

Pretty much an anti-Trump site.

Pat Buchanan says Donald Trump is the future of the Republican Party

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/01/12/pat-buchanan-believes-donald-trump-is-the-future-of-the-republican-party/

And so did he say it?  Yes he did.  What does it matter what the site was?  That was how he viewed strength.  Ugly but they got it done.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:24:58 am by Chosen Daughter »

A-Lert

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 09:28:48 am »
Reagan also called the Soviet Union "the evil empire". Are you going to accuse him of inciting hate, violence and divisiveness?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 10:42:49 am »
Reagan also called the Soviet Union "the evil empire". Are you going to accuse him of inciting hate, violence and divisiveness?

Regarding Trump, if it weren't for a double standard, conservatives would have no standards and all.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 02:28:56 pm »

Reagan was president in 1969?

Maybe you mean Governor Reagan?  So in your mind there is not a lick of difference between a sitting governor who, as such, is in charge of maintaining the peace, and a private candidate for political office?  Or maybe you've so aggrandized Trump you think he's as good as the sitting executive right now?

And for the record, I don't, and never have, condoned the actions of the rioters - better to call them by what they really are - and the mere fact that I've pointed out that Trump is not exactly as innocent as the driven snow when it comes to ratcheting up the violence does not gainsay that.

It would have been really, really good if the Chicago PD had stepped up to the plate and actually engaged in law enforcement.  Then again, perhaps they were given orders, sub rosa, to stand down by the democrat leadership in Chicago?

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 03:03:35 pm »
 :beer:
Reagan was president in 1969?

Maybe you mean Governor Reagan?  So in your mind there is not a lick of difference between a sitting governor who, as such, is in charge of maintaining the peace, and a private candidate for political office?  Or maybe you've so aggrandized Trump you think he's as good as the sitting executive right now?

:beer:
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 03:08:03 pm »

Pretty much an anti-Trump site.

Pat Buchanan says Donald Trump is the future of the Republican Party

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/01/12/pat-buchanan-believes-donald-trump-is-the-future-of-the-republican-party/

Pat Buchanan, noted anti-semite, is wrong.  Trump is tearing the Republican Party apart.  The Republican Party will not be the party of Trump.  35% of the vote is not indicative of the "base" at all.

Trump, after his inevitable loss to Hillary, will be shuffled off to the side.  Trumpism will be dead, except in the minds of the sucker-punchers and bigots.  They'll start their own party, never to be heard from again.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:14:38 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 04:28:01 pm »

Every comparison of Donald Trump to Ronald Reagan is nothing more than a joke.

There is no similarity between the two men.  Not one whit.

You are right that Trump has promoted violence.  It is factual, not emotionally based.  His words have encouraged violence.

Reagan never acted the buffoon and told people he'd like to punch them in the face.

Again.......... the comparison of the man (Reagan) and the boy (Trump) is laughable.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 04:33:08 pm »
Then it'll be a very dark future indeed.

Indeed.

If Buchanan is right (and he's not), then people who have been life-long Republicans, with conservative values and moral principles, will flee the party in droves.  There will be no Republican party left.

Which, of course, is the goal of many of Trump's supporters.

Not 'making America great,' not any form of value, but only sticking it to the hated Republican party.

The trouble is that in their attempt to destroy Republicans, they are in actuality, destroying Conservatism, because in Trump, and Trumpism, the concept of actual conservatism is completely foreign.  There is not a shred of Conservatism in this Trump mania.

And there is no shred of Reagan, nor his values, either.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

A-Lert

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 07:33:05 pm »
Pat Buchanan, noted anti-semite, is wrong.  Trump is tearing the Republican Party apart.  The Republican Party will not be the party of Trump.  35% of the vote is not indicative of the "base" at all.

Trump, after his inevitable loss to Hillary, will be shuffled off to the side.  Trumpism will be dead, except in the minds of the sucker-punchers and bigots.  They'll start their own party, never to be heard from again.

:yawn2:

A-Lert

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 07:38:42 pm »
Indeed.

If Buchanan is right (and he's not), then people who have been life-long Republicans, with conservative values and moral principles, will flee the party in droves.  There will be no Republican party left.

Which, of course, is the goal of many of Trump's supporters.

Not 'making America great,' not any form of value, but only sticking it to the hated Republican party.

The trouble is that in their attempt to destroy Republicans, they are in actuality, destroying Conservatism, because in Trump, and Trumpism, the concept of actual conservatism is completely foreign.  There is not a shred of Conservatism in this Trump mania.

And there is no shred of Reagan, nor his values, either.

Donald Trump is so popular he's virtually guaranteed to reach the finals in the race for the 2016 GOP nomination, says conservative pundit Patrick J. Buchanan, who served as senior adviser to Presidents Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford.

"He is so strong now that unless there's something really disqualifying and explosive, Trump virtually is guaranteed to be the outsider, insurgent candidate going into the semi-finals and the finals for the Republican nomination right now," Buchanan said Wednesday on "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV.

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/pat-buchanan-donald-trump/2015/08/12/id/669830/#ixzz42oV0TvkI
Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 08:16:16 pm »

It is hilarious to ME, to witness phony conservaives, upon learning that Reagan, strong Law & Order man, strong National Security man, really did talk tough, and act tough.

They attempt double-back-flips, pretzel contortions to claim that what was said and done was "different," etc.

I was a college student, soldier, then again college student during the period in question. I lived it, and remember how Reagan handled it.

Most that are claiming it was "different," a) didn't live it, b) look silly, to the point of looking sort of something akin to stupid, c) may be amateur or paid disruptors, d) by opposing Trump they are taking the side of the very "establishment" they claim to oppose.

Call them "Sea Island" Republicans," where the forces of Karl Rove meet Mitt Romney, Mitch McConnell, Silicon Valley, Goldman Sachs, etc.

That is the TRUE world of "anybody but Trump."

In that world, they have empathy and sympathize with rioters and disruptors. They advocate kumbaya understanding instead of "overly harsh" words and phrases. You are, in reality, wimpish--just exactly like Obama.

You lack even the first clues about handling such situations, for your career in constitutional debates have given you zero real world experience, on the ground, with much of anything. You are indeed, professional talkers.

The fact that in May 1969 Reagan endorsed law enforcement to go out and crack some heads, if necessary, surprised you. Caught off guard, and completely unschooled in the FACTS of that era, you resort to "it was different."

Offline Paladin

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 08:24:19 pm »
Different situation.  And if you think any means is telling your goons you can rough someone up and Trump will pay the legal fees your nuts.

Original statement: "He didn't promote violence..."

Now come the qualifications, the explanations, the "what I really meant": "Different situation.  And if you think any means is telling your goons you can rough someone up and Trump will pay the legal fees your nuts."

Lol.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.