Author Topic: Trump silences GOP establishment with primary romps  (Read 798 times)

HAPPY2BME

Trump silences GOP establishment with primary romps
« on: March 09, 2016, 04:44:37 pm »
WASHINGTON — Donald Trump scored decisive victories in Michigan and Mississippi Tuesday night, delivering a stinging rebuke to well-financed critics trying to block his road to the GOP presidential nomination.

Trump easily carried Michigan — a Rust Belt prize that adds to his diverse collection of wins — after a campaign where he vowed to claw back lost US auto jobs from Mexico and Asia.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who has staked his candidacy on performing well in the Midwest, was fighting for second place with Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.

In Mississippi, networks declared Trump the winner within an hour after the polls closed.

Trump also won the caucuses in Hawaii.

Exit polls showed that nine out of 10 voters in both states were either “dissatisfied” or “angry” with Washington, which Trump has emphasized.

Cruz, however, was able to win in Idaho, where he routed Trump by 45-28 percent.

The big victories gave Trump a new burst of energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4huxAPiFOkE

“Does Trump know how to close? Winning is winning,” Trump said at a press conference at his golf resort in Jupiter, Fla.

“I want to thank the special interests and the lobbyists, because they obviously did something to drive these numbers,” he added, taking a shot at rivals and establishment Republicans who have spent millions on ads attacking him.

Speaking before a bank of American flags, Trump declared it was time for Republicans to unite.

“We should grab each other and unify the party,” he said, hailing House Speaker Paul Ryan and pledging to get along with critics such as Mitt Romney.

Trump hauled out samples of a collection of his self-named products — Trump Wine, Trump Water and Trump Steaks — in defiance of those who have questioned his business acumen.

“If you want to take one, we’ll charge you about 50 bucks a steak,” he joked with reporters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nsOu2eBE6A

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio’s weak performance Tuesday night was tough medicine for a candidate who had been the hope of the establishment to upend Trump.

Rubio avoided any mention of the primaries in a speech to supporters in his home state of Florida, arguing that he still had a chance in the next round of major contests next Tuesday.

Here’s how the Republicans could steal Trump’s nomination:  VIDEO

http://nypost.com/2016/03/09/trump-silences-gop-establishment-with-primary-romps/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Trump silences GOP establishment with primary romps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 04:52:11 pm »
If you consider Nixonian Populism anti-Estabishment, then yeah go with it.
The Republic is lost.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 05:30:31 pm »
It worked here, too, ....for awhile last night.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:29:29 pm »
:laugh:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 06:31:24 pm »

Ah . . . the memories.   ^-^

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 06:41:02 pm »
What I find interesting is that Rubio is considered Establishment, yet except for amnesty Rubio is far more conservative than Trump, which tells me that conservatism has little to do with the Anti-Establishment populism of Trump.

Trump seems far more focused on the Establishment prop itself and what it represents than it's policy stances. Most likely because his Nixonian populism shares many of the platform points as the GOPe. In otherwars Trump has his straw bogey man.

Conservatism and constitutionalism seem to get cut out of that arrangement, which in the end all smells like tricky switchy dicky kabuki theater.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:41:52 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 06:43:08 pm »
It appears that Mr. Trump ought to be silencing the "nattering nabobs," but they won't be silenced for they get paid by the words.

If Nixonian populism works, it is wise to adopt it. And go for the Silent Majority, too.

Nixon was an imperfect political man, who was on the political stage for a very long and important era.

He had already served during war in the military, graduated college and law school, served in the House and Senate, before becoming VP at age 40.

He had to thread a needle of Cold War strength, yet get out of the quagmire in Vietnam.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 06:43:39 pm »
What I find interesting is that Rubio is considered Establishment, yet except for amnesty Rubio is far more conservative than Trump, which tells me that conservatism has little to do with the Anti-Establishment populism of Trump.

Trump seems far more focused on the Establishment prop itself and what it represents than it's policy stances. Most likely because his Nixonian populism shares many of the platform points as the GOPe. In otherwars Trump has his straw bogey man.

Conservatism and constitutionalism seem to get cut out of that arrangement, which in the end all smells like tricky switchy dicky kabuki theater.

There is NO difference between TRump and Clinton other than gender and I will NEVER vote for either of them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 06:45:33 pm »

What he's actually 'silencing'.......... if anything............. is Conservatism.

He's dealing a death blow to conservative principles and the Constitution, neither of which are likely to recover if he's our nominee....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 06:46:08 pm »
It appears that Mr. Trump ought to be silencing the "nattering nabobs," but they won't be silenced for they get paid by the words.

If Nixonian populism works, it is wise to adopt it. And go for the Silent Majority, too.

Nixon was an imperfect political man, who was on the political stage for a very long and important era.

He had already served during war in the military, graduated college and law school, served in the House and Senate, before becoming VP at age 40.

He had to thread a needle of Cold War strength, yet get out of the quagmire in Vietnam.

But Nixon's domestic policy was downright liberal, something we can little afford today.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 06:47:18 pm »
There is NO difference between TRump and Clinton other than gender and I will NEVER vote for either of them!

They are both corrupt and both leftist, and we are running out of time to nominate someone who can keep this country from further destruction by either of them.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 06:48:04 pm »

Can you provide a link to the information that you're using which compares the proposed policies of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump?  I'd like to take a look at that.

Thanks.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 06:54:33 pm »

Rubio joined the Gang of Eight and as much as he has tried to justify his actions, he is still considered pro amnesty.  Trump has proclaimed to build a wall, deport illegals, etc.  Cruz and Trump held a rally against the Iran nuke deal.  Rubio voted against conservative amendments against the IRAN nuke deal.  Trump may be a liberal in a conservative suit, but Rubio has labeled himself a RINO; Trump has labeled himself an outsider. 

As for conservatism and constitutionalism; those values are why Cruz is doing as well as he is.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »
Can you provide a link to the information that you're using which compares the proposed policies of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump?  I'd like to take a look at that.

Thanks.

There is no single link and even if there was and I posted it you would ignore it!

There is PLENTY of information out there that confirms what I said if one is willing to look for it and honestly look at it but Trump supporters don't wish to do any objective analysis. They just want to follow the pied piper because he is saying what they want to hear! Reminds me of the people who elected Obama!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 07:18:52 pm »
They just want to follow the pied piper because he is saying what they want to hear! Reminds me of the people who elected Obama!

=================================

Obama had tremendous voting power from people who had never voted before in their lives - mainly the 18~25 year age group, and mainly recruited via Facebook and Twitter.  That was a voting segment never tapped before, and Obama was the first one to capitalize on it, which contributed heavily to his defeating Mitt Romney.

That is a fact.  Also a fact is that the same age group is now disillusioned with eight years of Obama, but not to the extent that they would vote for Ted Cruz, who is exactly 180' polarized from this age group.

What (should) be the take away from this is that Ted Cruz cannot tap the same voting blocks (Mexicans, Blacks, 18~25 year olds, Democrats, Libertarians, and Independents) like Donald Trump can.

This pans out in current statistics of the voting so far.  Ted Cruz hasn't even gained the majority of Evangelicals, who are supposed to be his backbone in the Republican Primaries.  And if Cruz can't hold onto his backbone even in the primaries of his OWN PARTY, he stands zero chances of holding onto them in the general election of him running against Hillary Clinton.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 07:38:21 pm »
Ted Cruz is a big turnoff for me. I already know what he will say, and I know he will take 200 words to say what needs 25 words.

He reminds me of money grubbing televangelists. His style. Marjoe Gortner, Tammy Faye Bakker, Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, Benny Hinn.

The media has largely laid off Cruz, for they would like him to be the candidate. They see him as easy to defeat, for the connections mentined above. They will play his father saying Ted is "anointed to be King."

Sen. Ted Cruz far too religious for mainstream America. I encourage listening to this entire 9 minute piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_kehg8F3kU
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 07:49:09 pm »

The media has largely laid off Cruz, for they would like him to be the candidate. They see him as easy to defeat, for the connections mentined above. They will play his father saying Ted is "anointed to be King."

Sen. Ted Cruz far too religious for mainstream America. I encourage listening to this entire 9 minute piece.

================================

This is painfully true.  Cruz can't even win the majority of Evangelicals in the Republican Primaries is living proof that most Christians see right through him.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 07:51:13 pm »
"Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton won't reform the system........... they ARE the system!!"

- J. R. R. Tolkien

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 07:53:48 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_kehg8F3kU

================================

FWIW, I do agree with 90% of what Cruz is saying here from the pulpit.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 07:56:32 pm »
"Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton won't reform the system........... they ARE the system!!"

====================================

Then why is Ted Cruz recruiting 'system' heros like Neil Bush on his campaign platform?

You can't have it both ways, BigUn. 

Either all in, or all out.

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 08:05:18 pm »
There is PLENTY of information out there that confirms what I said if one is willing to look for it and honestly look at it but Trump supporters don't wish to do any objective analysis. They just want to follow the pied piper because he is saying what they want to hear! Reminds me of the people who elected Obama!

So no! You don't have a link to a single point of reference to support your claim about Mr. Trump!   Because you're so obviously caught up in a whirlwind of drama and exaggeration, I'll excuse you this one time! 

But going forward please provide a link to the information supporting your claim!  Even if it means you have to post it more than once!  Otherwise you will have the credibility of a Southern belle with the vapors!!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:05:58 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 08:12:07 pm »
So no! You don't have a link to a single point of reference to support your claim about Mr. Trump!   Because you're so obviously caught up in a whirlwind of drama and exaggeration, I'll excuse you this one time! 

But going forward please provide a link to the information supporting your claim!  Even if it means you have to post it more than once!  Otherwise you will have the credibility of a Southern belle with the vapors!!

I can't tell you what a relief it is to know that you have excused me! I was WORRIED to death that you wouldn't!  *who knows*

And I wouldn't be talking about anyone else's credibility if I were you!  :whistle:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 08:36:23 pm »
I can't tell you what a relief it is to know that you have excused me! I was WORRIED to death that you wouldn't!  *who knows*

And I wouldn't be talking about anyone else's credibility if I were you!  :whistle:

Your credibility is pristine, my friend.

Ignore the hall monitors.  :patriot:

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 08:37:49 pm »

And I wouldn't be talking about anyone else's credibility if I were you! 

Why is that, Bigun?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:38:07 pm by Right_in_Virginia »