Author Topic: Can Conservatives Deal with a Bigger GOP Tent?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Can Conservatives Deal with a Bigger GOP Tent?
« on: March 09, 2016, 02:10:56 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/03/can_conservatives_deal_with_a_bigger_gop_tent.html

March 9, 2016
Can Conservatives Deal with a Bigger GOP Tent?
By Christopher Chantrill

I can’t quite decide how to describe the Trump impact on the conservative movement. Is it the blousy town girls showing up at a sorority poetry reading and showing a bit too much cleavage? Or is it the oil-field workers showing up at the wine bar and ordering Miller Light?

It does seem that the unfocused and non-ideological Trump supporters are a real challenge for libertarians and conservatives like me. For us, the world is neatly explained by our brilliant theories and our virtues, a reflection of our liberal friends across the aisle, with their reactionary ideas masquerading as progress and pompous talk about arcs of history.

For conservatives the Trumpsters are a problem because (can you believe it!) they still support Social Security and Medicare and fences and protection and other embarrassments. For liberals they are the discarded mistress, a reminder of a time long ago when liberals loved to adorn their working-class little darlings with government baubles in return for their electoral services.

But I got a clue about the Trump folks the other morning reading Michael Mann and his multi-volume Sources of Social Power. He argued that the bourgeois revolutions like the American and French Revolution were driven not by the capitalists and big businessmen, the bourgeoisie of Karl Marx, but by the ordinary shopkeepers and tradesmen. The big boys could wheel and deal with the old regime and find a place in its patronage networks, but the middle-class shopkeepers and small businessmen were cut out. It was their frustrations that drove the revolutions and then forced the “notables” to lead them.

Isn’t that eerily familiar? For today’s conservative elite life isn’t so bad. With our education and our connections we can wive and thrive in the liberal world even if we hate it. Not convinced? Here is the latest from Angelo Codevilla (H/T Maggie Gallagher):

America is now ruled by a uniformly educated class of persons that occupies the commanding heights of bureaucracy, of the judiciary, education, the media, and of large corporations, and that wields political power through the Democratic Party. Its control of access to prestige, power, privilege, and wealth exerts a gravitational pull that has made the Republican Party’s elites into its satellites.

But the Trumpsters are out in the cold. No commanding heights or satellite knolls for them. And all they want is a decent job and family and decent prospect for their kids. They are angry and frustrated, and they are afraid for their children.

And by the way, let us conservatives ask how long we will be allowed to operate as naughty dissenters to the liberal ruling class, and allowed to pick up the crumbs from the liberal patronage machine? The portents are pretty clear. You will be made to care, heretics, or the activist speech police will know the reason why.

So I think the challenge in the spring of 2016 is on conservatives. Do we have the generosity and the kindness to open the tent flaps of the GOP to the Trumpsters, let them swarm all over the place, and give them succor after their wanderings in the political wilderness in the years since the Civil Rights Acts morphed into what John Derbyshire calls Jim Snow laws? Or are we going to create a #NeverTrump safe space and hide from the endless microaggressions of Obama’s America? There will be time enough to argue about the shape of the new Republican Party in the years to come, and debate how our Joshua will march us around the walls of the liberal city of Jericho, blowing our trumpets till the walls come a-tumbling down. But right now we have a tribe of migrants knocking loudly on our door, cast out of the land of Egypt by a cruel liberal Pharaoh, and they need a roof for the night.

I never forget the words of Michael Barone, that the Republican Party is the home of people that think of themselves as typical Americans. The Trump supporters are nothing if not typical Americans. They belong in the party of typical Americans, and it is a shame that for so long the party of typical Americans completely fumbled the ball on this and forgot to leave the light on. This Sunday on FoxNews Rush Limbaugh nailed it as usual.

Donald Trump has put together a coalition, whether he knows it or not, whether he intended to or not, he's put together a coalition that's exactly what the Republican Party says that it needs to win and, yet, look like what they're doing. They’re trying to get Trump out of the race, because they're not in charge of it.

But it will all work out, says Rush, because we all have a common enemy. Its name begins with “D”.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Can Conservatives Deal with a Bigger GOP Tent?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 02:16:54 pm »
The Trump supporters are welcome. 

Trump himself is not.  No Trump. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:17:57 pm »
"To be...or not to be..."    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 04:09:07 pm »

We're a package. No Trump, no us.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 04:10:08 pm »
The Big Tent. Wasn't that a formerly GOPe concept that the anti-Establishment hated?
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 04:43:21 pm »
That is a really fine article. Hits the nail on the head. I feel the Trump movement is in part, what the Tea Party movement started out to be, before it got waylaid by the professionals and political proifiteers.

T...P an amalgam of other outside entries into the seats of power.  But with more money, more charisma, more stamina, more resolve to go to the finish line. 

I get where the author comes from. I have worked in the oil fields with guys missing fingers, even hands, arms, legs. I have worked in board rooms, too. Boards with their lawyers, and former government dignitaries for connections. Did I say lawyers? They always feel they are the smartest guys in the room, btw.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 04:49:07 pm »
That is a really fine article. Hits the nail on the head. I feel the Trump movement is in part, what the Tea Party movement started out to be, before it got waylaid by the professionals and political proifiteers.

T...P an amalgam of other outside entries into the seats of power.  But with more money, more charisma, more stamina, more resolve to go to the finish line. 

I get where the author comes from. I have worked in the oil fields with guys missing fingers, even hands, arms, legs. I have worked in board rooms, too. Boards with their lawyers, and former government dignitaries for connections. Did I say lawyers? They always feel they are the smartest guys in the room, btw.

Yep, boardrooms, lawyers, money, political connections....all the things that Trump is very, very familiar with and the world he swims in.

Which doesn't help make his case.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 04:50:22 pm »

So, a cult, in other words.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 04:55:29 pm »

Bingo. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 04:56:24 pm »
So, a cult, in other words.

Bingo again. 

HonestJohn

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 09:06:32 pm »

TEA stood for "Taxed Enough Already" and was a movement to end governmental overreach and overtaxation.  That is a quintessentially libertarian ideal.  And as Reagan said, "the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism."

Nothing about Trump is TEA party-like.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 01:13:59 am »
Donald Trump has put together a coalition,y.whether he knows it or not, whether he intended to or not, he's put together a coalition that's exactly what the Republican Party says that it needs to win and, yet, look like what they're doing. They’re trying to get Trump out of the race, because they're not in charge of it.

Trump is well aware of the coalition he has put together--and the numbers of newly registered Republicans support it.  No one on the Republican side can duplicate this, and it drives the legacy conservative to the point of madness.

A-Lert

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 01:23:49 am »
Another insightful article. Thanks!

Bill Cipher

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 01:29:22 am »

If your guy can't close the deal on the general, then those are the truest words you've posted.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 02:18:47 am »
TEA stood for "Taxed Enough Already" and was a movement to end governmental overreach and overtaxation.  That is a quintessentially libertarian ideal.  And as Reagan said, "the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism."

Nothing about Trump is TEA party-like.

Maybe not to you. But I believe if you had an open mind, you would discover that many Trump supporters come from those same origins.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Bill Cipher

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 02:23:31 am »
Maybe not to you. But I believe if you had an open mind, you would discover that many Trump supporters come from those same origins.

Simply more proof that Donnie has bamboozled the Trumpkins.  This happens with a cult of personality; what matters is not the truth, but the flattery.

A-Lert

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 02:28:04 am »
Simply more proof that Donnie has bamboozled the Trumpkins.  This happens with a cult of personality; what matters is not the truth, but the flattery.

The insults just keep coming.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 03:32:08 am »
Trump is well aware of the coalition he has put together--and the numbers of newly registered Republicans support it.  No one on the Republican side can duplicate this, and it drives the legacy conservative to the point of madness.

I'm so sorry that we "legacy conservatives" don't care for the exploitation of racism,  the lack of principle, the lack of consistency,  the bullying temperament,  and the vulgarian style. 

The drafters of the Constitution weren't trying to just cut some deal.   The Constitution deserves more respect than the election of a vainglorious strongman who'll make Obama look like a piker in his shredding of the document. 

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.  "Point of madness", you say?    No one likes the guy who points out the con.     

Bill Cipher

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 03:35:02 am »
The insults just keep coming.

Again, the truth hurts.

A-Lert

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 03:43:38 am »
Again, the truth hurts.

Sorry about your pain. Maybe some aspirin would help.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 03:44:45 am »
I can’t quite decide how to describe the Trump impact on the conservative movement. Is it the blousy town girls showing up at a sorority poetry reading and showing a bit too much cleavage? Or is it the oil-field workers showing up at the wine bar and ordering Miller Light?

Or is it a self proclaimed Liberal Democrat running a third party run inside the framework of a disorganized party?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 03:44:54 am »
Sorry about your pain. Maybe some aspirin would help.

I agree.  I am getting tired trying to explain facts and evidence to people who simply will not listen.

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 03:48:39 am »

I'm so sorry that we "legacy conservatives" don't care for the exploitation of racism,  the lack of principle, the lack of consistency,  the bullying temperament,  and the vulgarian style. 

Neither do Mr. Trump and his supporters. 

The drafters of the Constitution weren't trying to just cut some deal.   The Constitution deserves more respect than the election of a vainglorious strongman who'll make Obama look like a piker in his shredding of the document. 

The brilliance of the Constitution allows for and encourages the American people to elect the right man at the right time.  Hence--Donald J. Trump.

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.  "Point of madness", you say?    No one likes the guy who points out the con.   

I actually think legacy conservatives have been on the brink of madness since Reagan left office.  The conservative moment ended with his Presidency and you've yet to figure out how to bring conservatism into the 21st century.  You're very well intended, just not successful.  And right now we don't need more failure.   :shrug:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 03:50:46 am »

The brilliance of the Constitution allows for and encourages the American people to elect the right man at the right time.  Hence--Donald J. Trump.

:silly:

One word:  Obama

Two words:  elected twice

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 03:59:19 am »

One word:  Obama   Two words:  elected twice

So how would you change the constitution to prevent an Obama from being elected again?  What litmus test would you add to Presidential elections?