Author Topic: Why Did Ted Cruz Get A Huge Election Day Surge In Louisiana?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Why Did Ted Cruz Get A Huge Election Day Surge In Louisiana?
« on: March 07, 2016, 02:38:15 am »
http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2016/03/06/ted-cruz-get-huge-election-day-surge-louisiana/

There is an interesting bit of analysis in the Washington Post on the Louisiana primary. As I pointed out earlier today, the Louisiana polls understated Ted Cruz by an average of 11 points. The Washington Post set out to try to find out why, and they present a plausible explanation.

One of two things happened in Louisiana. We know that the margins between the top three candidates in the state shifted dramatically between votes cast by absentee ballot and those cast on Saturday, the day of the election. That means that either that: 1) A candidate had a very strong get-out-the-vote effort, or 2) There was a broad shift in attitudes about the candidates.

Actually, they had three options, the third being the polls were simply wrong for any number of methodological reasons, but, being the media they chose no to go there because polls sell newspapers.

What they did was look at absentee vote tallies and then compare those to the final vote. This is what they found:

Keep in mind that the graphic represents changes in vote percentage on election day versus absentee votes, it has nothing to do with winning/losing a parish.

What you see is that Ted Cruz made huge gains over the absentee tallies while Rubio and Trump both saw their vote percentage reduced. When you look at Beauregard Parish, election day reduced Trump’s percentage of the votes by over 30%.

They conclude something else was at work:

This suggests that the shift probably wasn’t a function of Ted Cruz’s (clearly strong) get-out-the-vote effort. Field efforts like that result in relatively limited swings, and it’s hard to see how they could have run a hugely successful turnout effort throughout the state uniformly.

Instead, this looks like the state of Louisiana bailed on Marco Rubio in favor of Ted Cruz. Which could explain why Cruz is targeting Florida all of a sudden. On Saturday night, Donald Trump called for Rubio to drop out of the race. If he can repeat what he did in Louisiana in Florida in just over a week, Cruz will take Rubio out himself.

This may or may not be true. The fact that election day votes aided Cruz and hurt both Trump and Rubio indicates something was afoot. The failure to consider the simple fact that the polls were wrong can account for the horrible numbers but it cannot explain the election day enthusiasm advantage for Cruz.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

Re: Why Did Ted Cruz Get A Huge Election Day Surge In Louisiana?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 02:46:50 am »
the simple fact that the polls were wrong

That can't be possible according to a poster on this forum!  :thud:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »
I don't think it was so much that the polling data was incorrect.  According to polling data commentaries... those that voted after the early voting numbers tended to vote more for Cruz -- in other words people changed their minds after Rubio went after Trump and Trump fired back like a little snot nosed 6th grade punk!!  People are starting to see him for the buffoon that he really is!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 03:55:07 pm »
One or two points off I can see but eleven...that's a lot.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 04:51:23 pm »
OK.  So Ted got a 'huge' surge, but still did not win the majority.

I get it.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 05:00:43 pm »

There is one poster here who has been telling folks for YEARS that these public consumption polls are designed to DRIVE opinions rather than measure them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 05:03:10 pm »
There is one poster here who has been telling folks for YEARS that these public consumption polls are designed to DRIVE opinions rather than measure them!

:beer: 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 05:03:32 pm »
OK.  So Ted got a 'huge' surge, but still did not win the majority.

I get it.

But he got the same number of delegates.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:36:33 pm »
I think it all comes down to the two most recent debates.  Rubio effectively has sacrificed himself for the good of the nation - wrestling with Trump in the sewer has helped to slow or stop Trump's rise but hasn't done much to elevate Rubio himself.   Meanwhile, the second half of the anti-Trump tag team - Cruz - looked Presidential by comparison, thus explaining his rise. 

While Kasich generally had a good last debate,  he blinked when faced with a golden opportunity to be THE headline the next day.   When asked whether he would be supporting the eventual nonimee he should have shouted NO, not if it's Trump.  If he's the adult in the room, he should have acted like one and denounced Trump then and there.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 06:22:41 pm »
But he got the same number of delegates.

Overall, he got more delegates that Trump on Saturday. There is less than 100 delegates between the two men now. That is significant.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 06:24:47 pm »
Overall, he got more delegates that Trump on Saturday. There is less than 100 delegates between the two men now. That is significant.

Yes, it is.

A-Lert

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 07:19:23 pm »
Rubio effectively has sacrificed himself for the good of the nation

It sure as hell wasn't intentional.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 07:25:15 pm »

I love the way the polls are wrong when they work against the GOPE yet the polls are right when they can be used to beat up on Trump.

Simple answer here. The "triangulation" attacks on Trump by Rubio/Fox News at the debate are working. Rubio is having success dirtying up Trumps brand. He is talking out both himself and Trump for Cruz.

Curious what Cruz promised Rubio? The VP slot?

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 07:27:41 pm »
Yes, it is.

I would not put too much into an 11 delegate gain. Cruz still has to demonstrate he can win outside caucuses and deep red states. Cruz can win his choir loft, still have yet to see if he can win anywhere else.

National Elections are not won preaching to the choir.

A-Lert

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 07:53:51 pm »
I love the way the polls are wrong when they work against the GOPE yet the polls are right when they can be used to beat up on Trump.

Simple answer here. The "triangulation" attacks on Trump by Rubio/Fox News at the debate are working. Rubio is having success dirtying up Trumps brand. He is talking out both himself and Trump for Cruz.

Curious what Cruz promised Rubio? The VP slot?

Personally, Rubio has lost most of his luster due to his mudslinging.  My opinion of him has dropped considerably. I'm disappointed in his antics.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 08:01:40 pm »
I would not put too much into an 11 delegate gain. Cruz still has to demonstrate he can win outside caucuses and deep red states. Cruz can win his choir loft, still have yet to see if he can win anywhere else.

National Elections are not won preaching to the choir.

We'll see. 

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 08:11:46 pm »
Exactly we will see. Way too much being read into way too little data.