Author Topic: Veepstakes: Who Trump might pick as running mate?  (Read 6123 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Veepstakes: Who Trump might pick as running mate?
« on: March 06, 2016, 03:23:31 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/271892-veepstakes-who-trump-might-pick

By Lisa Hagen - 03/06/16 10:00 AM EST

Donald Trump’s strong night on Super Tuesday propelled him closer to the GOP nomination, sparking speculation about whom he might ask to join his ticket.

If he can win the GOP nomination, Trump will have to decide what he wants in a running mate.

Is it someone with experience in governing who could round out a Trump ticket for voters worried about giving the novice politician the keys to the White House?

Or will Trump be thinking about the nation’s demographics, and look for a woman or a member of a minority group to provide balance?

It’s also a fair question to ask who would be willing to join Trump, who has divided Republicans with his rhetoric. A number of people in the GOP have said they would never vote for him.

The GOP nominee will have less time to make a decision than in years past.

Moving the national political conventions to July means both presumed nominees are likely to be made about a month earlier than past cycles.

And that’s assuming Trump, or any Republican, can win the 1,237 delegates necessary to win the GOP nomination.

Here’s a look into potential picks for a Trump running mate:

Chris Christie

Christie has to be at the top of this list because of his high-profile endorsement of Trump.

Once a critic, the New Jersey governor now says Trump will provide the leadership the country needs.

Christie would add executive experience to the ticket and he echoes Trump’s criticisms of Washington.

A counterpoint is that he also seems like a carbon copy of Trump. Both are outspoken East Coasters who have been described as bullies.

“You don’t want to make a pick who’s going to reinforce negative things about you,” Joel Goldstein, a professor at Saint Louis University School of Law, who’s written about the vice presidency.

Critics have lashed out at Christie and he endured ridicule from the media and political observers as he uncomfortably stood behind Trump during the GOP hopeful’s Super Tuesday press conference.

That raises questions about how well such a political marriage would work.

When asked about joining a Trump ticket, Christie kept the door open to the possibility, but maintained that he hasn’t talked to the real estate mogul about it.

“You don’t interview for those jobs, you don’t campaign for those jobs,” Christie told reporters at a press conference on Thursday.

Nikki Haley

Haley is a rising star in the Republican Party and the governor received high marks for her handling of the Confederate flag controversy in South Carolina.

She’s frequently named as a leading vice presidential contender, but may be low on Trump's list after publicly criticizing him.

Haley took a shot at Trump, calling him one of the "angriest voices" in politics in her State of the Union response.

And prior to the South Carolina primary, Haley endorsed Marco Rubio, but the Florida senator ultimately fell short to Trump.

Trump has repeatedly attacked Haley for her positions on immigration and border security. Yet, the GOP front-runner said earlier this year he’d still consider her as a running mate.

Haley would also bring executive experience to the table and could help unite a party that has splintered over supporting Trump. She could also attract female and minority voters to the ticket.

“You unify the party by reaching out to somebody who maybe didn’t support you,” Goldstein said. “One of the attractions of an insider would be to try and unify a bigger part of the Republican Party.”

Susana Martinez

Martinez is another lawmaker who’s regularly floated as a potential White House running mate. The U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce endorsed Martinez as a vice presidential candidate.

The New Mexico governor has endorsed Rubio’s campaign and hasn’t said whether she’d vote for Trump if he wins the nomination.

Martinez, who’s the first female Hispanic governor, could give Trump’s campaign a boost of executive experience and help bridge the gap with Latino voters. She’s been critical of his controversial remarks regarding Mexican immigrants.

But if invited, Martinez would also have a tough decision.

Goldstein cautioned that high-profile lawmakers, like Martinez and Haley, might be wary of joining Trump's ticket and will have to come to be ready to defend his controversial remarks and positions.

Herman Cain

A Trump-Cain ticket would combine two political outsiders and businessmen.

Cain soared briefly in the GOP presidential campaign four years ago, touting his "9-9-9" tax reform plan. He led the field in October and November of 2011 before falling back.

Cain could help Trump build his support among conservatives while also reaching out to black voters.

Cain has also been quick to defend Trump publicly and hit at his rivals. Last year, he mocked Jeb Bush in an op-ed, referencing his own run and saying "at least I was once winning."

Earlier this week, Cain said the GOP would be "insane and irresponsible" not to back Trump as nominee and accused the establishment and media of treating the front-runner unfairly.

Speculation has emerged about the 2012 GOP hopeful as Trump's running mate.

The retired CEO of Godfather's Pizza would bring additional business experience. A Trump-Cain ticket, though, could have trouble with voters worried about governing experience: both have never held elected office.

Scott Brown

Earlier this year, Trump floated Brown as a running mate, saying he’d make a “very good” vice president.

The former Massachusetts senator, who unsuccessfully ran for Senate in New Hampshire two years ago, endorsed Trump in February.

Brown could give him appeal among more moderate voters and help Trump make inroads in blue-state New England, opening up the electoral map.

His tenure in the Senate gives the ticket Washington experience.

Brown’s tenure in the upper chamber was short, helping him argue that he's not a career politician. But he also faced heated criticism for moving to New Hampshire to run for the Senate there, with Democrats labeling him a carpetbagger.

Marsha Blackburn

Blackburn, who’s leading the House panel investigating Planned Parenthood, could help boost Trump's standing among Republicans who worry the businessman isn't a true conservative.

She could also help Trump reach out to female voters.

Blackburn has brushed off rumors that she’s being vetted for vice president, but expressed her interest in having a woman on the ticket. “I don’t know of anybody that would not consider,” she said.

At CPAC on Friday, Blackburn said she’d consider sharing a ticket with Trump.

The Tennessee congresswoman was critical of Trump for not disavowing former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke in a recent CNN interview. Trump has since repudiated Duke’s support.

Blackburn has also been in Congress since 2003, a boost for Trump if he wins the nomination and looks to strengthen his ties with congressional Republicans.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Veepstakes: Who Trump might pick as running mate?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:03:32 pm »
Let’s hope it doesn’t come down to him having a running mate, but my favorites on the list Nikki Haley and Susana Martinez  do not support Trump, and would find it very hard to believe either would accept the offer. Chris Christie would jump at the chance in a heartbeat, but you may as well hang an even heavier millstone around Trumps neck if he doesn’t have somebody that can draw in the majority of the 65% who can’t stand him.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 04:01:31 am »
It won't be Martinez or Haley. They cut their own throats on that. Blackburn's a possible. So is Jim Webb.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 04:12:42 am »
It should be only too obvious:

--Josef Goebbels
--Heinrich Himmler
--Rudolf Hess
--Albert Speer
--Hermann Goerring
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 04:24:47 am »
Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio aren't on the list?

Jokes aside, and with major shifts in demographics, political progressiveness now being accepted as the new norm, and historical discontent by all sides wanting to 'gut the beast' and start over - who is left?

Whoever it is, it is going to be interesting.

Over 900 delegates to go.  Much can change.

And then there's Hillary.  All this hostile energy directed within the GOP is a deja vu of Mitt Romney, but many times worse.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 04:34:21 am »

--Josef Goebbels
--Heinrich Himmler
--Rudolf Hess
--Albert Speer
--Hermann Goerring

DANG!  I NEVER SAY THINGS LIKE THIS BUT.....
I JUST SPEWED HOT COFFEE ON MY CAT!!
WILL SEND YOU VET BILL.  :tongue2:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 04:38:35 am »
If Trump is the nominee, my first choice for VP would be Ted Cruz

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 04:39:00 am »
Well I think Trump is going to stay true to form and go outside the box on a VP pick. I give to you Vice President Chimp....

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 04:40:09 am »

--Josef Goebbels
--Heinrich Himmler
--Rudolf Hess
--Albert Speer
--Hermann Goerring

You left out Mussolini.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 04:41:30 am »
Well I think Trump is going to stay true to form and go outside the box on a VP pick. I give to you Vice President Chimp....

You really think he would pick Joe Biden?   :chairbang:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 04:46:39 am »

--Josef Goebbels
--Heinrich Himmler
--Rudolf Hess
--Albert Speer
--Hermann Goerring

Why'd you leave out Charly Manson?
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 04:52:33 am »
Why'd you leave out Charly Manson?

Cause Hitlary has him on her short list.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 04:54:39 am »
Cause Hitlary has him on her short list.

Doh!  But of course! 
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Bill Cipher

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 05:08:43 am »
At this point, based on what's going on publicly, probably Christie. I doubt very seriously it would be Cruz because I don't think Cruz has the temperament to play second fiddle to anyone, least of all Trump.  Rubio would be an interesting choice.  My estimation of Trump would go up if he picked Rubio. A good tag-team effort by Trump and Rubio would probably bring in some moderates without losing most of the current Trumpists. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:09:18 am by Bill Cipher »

Bill Cipher

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 05:11:08 am »
You really think he would pick Joe Biden?   :chairbang:

Now you're just insulting monkeys.  Pet rock is more Biden's speed.  Or a chia pet they both grow hair from plugs. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 05:19:06 am »
At this point, based on what's going on publicly, probably Christie. I doubt very seriously it would be Cruz because I don't think Cruz has the temperament to play second fiddle to anyone, least of all Trump.  Rubio would be an interesting choice.  My estimation of Trump would go up if he picked Rubio. A good tag-team effort by Trump and Rubio would probably bring in some moderates without losing most of the current Trumpists.

Sorry. Not Christie. Think geographic balance.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Bill Cipher

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 05:20:52 am »
Sorry. Not Christie. Think geographic balance.

I have given that some thought, but I'm not sure that would make a difference.  They understand each other quite well and I don't think Trump could take someone who disagreed with him on issues. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:21:18 am by Bill Cipher »

Offline Paladin

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 06:17:04 am »
All along I have conjectured Kasich because of the importance of OH. That theory will be tested when we see how well Kasich does in the OH primary.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

A-Lert

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 06:45:20 am »

If these quotes written in an article are true,

Why are you posting them if you don't know they are in fact true? Hmmmmmm.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 06:50:11 am »

The statement regarding that it doesn't matter what they write appears to be true as stated in this article from Fortune magazine:  http://fortune.com/2015/08/09/trump-insult-women-history/

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 06:57:44 am »
Hey myst.

What is your prediction?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 07:14:24 am »
You are right, so I did a search on my own and found the attributions along with 100's of others.

“You know, it doesn’t really matter what [the media] write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.” (Interview with Esquire, 1991)
“When a man leaves a woman, especially when it was perceived that he has left for a piece of ass—a good one!— there are 50 percent of the population who will love the woman who was left.” (Vanity Fair, September 1990)
“I have black guys counting my money. … I hate it. The only guys I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes all day.” (USA Today, May 20, 1991)
“It’s all in the hunt and once you get it, it loses some of its energy. I think competitive, successful men feel that way about women. Don’t you agree? Really, don’t you agree?” (TrumpNation: The Art of Being The Donald, 2005)
“All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me— consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.” (How to Get Rich, 2004)

I found the one from Esquire on Fortune magazine.  Google sent me to HuffPo on some of the others and them I do not trust. 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 10:47:51 am »
If Trump is the nominee, my first choice for VP would be Ted Cruz

Cruz makes the most sense to me.
He understands government and is more interested in details.
Trump could provide the "shield" to get real changes in place.
I don't think Trump would seek a second term so 4 years as VP would make Cruz unstoppable.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 11:04:34 am »

Because politics is organized madness.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 12:15:19 pm »
Because politics is organized madness.

Except that they are true, as the sources were found.