Author Topic: McCain urges voters to think 'long and hard' before picking Trump  (Read 2112 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/john-mccain-trump-romney-220178

McCain urges voters to think 'long and hard' before picking Trump

By Eliza Collins

03/03/16 12:24 PM EST

John McCain followed Mitt Romney on Thursday in blistering Donald Trump, warning that voters should think "long and hard" before making him commander in chief.

“I share the concerns about Donald Trump that my friend and former Republican nominee, Mitt Romney, described in his speech today,” said the Arizona senator and 2008 Republican nominee. "I would also echo the many concerns about Mr. Trump’s uninformed and indeed dangerous statements on national security issues that have been raised by 65 Republican defense and foreign policy leaders.”

He said the current state of the world has “never been more complex or more in danger, and it is important to get the correct president.

“I want Republican voters to pay close attention to what our party’s most respected and knowledgeable leaders and national security experts are saying about Mr. Trump, and to think long and hard about who they want to be our next Commander-in-Chief and leader of the free world,” he said.

McCain has tussled with Trump before, most notably after the real estate mogul questioned McCain's status as a war hero because he was captured during the Vietnam War. While McCain said at the time that Trump needed to offer an apology to all veterans for the comment, he was relatively restrained in his attack on Trump.

Romney, in his own viciously worded rant against Trump and his candidacy on Thursday, brought up the real estate mogul's questioning of McCain's time as a prisoner of war.

"There is dark irony in his boasts of his sexual exploits during the Vietnam War while John McCain, whom he has mocked, was imprisoned and tortured," Romney said.

The Daily Beast earlier this year resurfaced a 1997 interview Trump did with Howard Stern in which he said his attempts to avoid sexually transmitted diseases was his “personal Vietnam." Trump himself avoided being drafted because of a medical deferment tied to bone spurs in his feet.

In the past interview, Trump said he was "lucky" to have not gotten an STD. “I’ve been so lucky in terms of that whole world. It is a dangerous world out there. It’s scary, like Vietnam. Sort of like the Vietnam-era,” Trump said. “It is my personal Vietnam. I feel like a great and very brave soldier.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

HAPPY2BME

Re: McCain urges voters to think 'long and hard' before picking Trump
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:30:51 pm »
Every time John McCain opens his trash trap, an American POW rolls over in his grave.

Viet Nam vets just throw up a little bit in their mouths.

Everyone - PLEASE ATTACK DONALD TRUMP!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:31:29 pm »
In the past interview, Trump said he was "lucky" to have not gotten an STD. “I’ve been so lucky in terms of that whole world. It is a dangerous world out there. It’s scary, like Vietnam. Sort of like the Vietnam-era,” Trump said. “It is my personal Vietnam. I feel like a great and very brave soldier.

What a scumbag.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:44:38 pm »
Thinking "long and hard" before making your decision of voting for  commander in chief, is good advice, no matter who said it. But the McCain Hate is strong here.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 06:46:39 pm »
McClame is just afraid Trump will make him actually do his job instead of calling baseball players before congress so he can get autographs...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 06:48:30 pm »
McClame is just afraid Trump will make him actually do his job instead of calling baseball players before congress so he can get autographs...

Trump can't "make" anybody in Congress do anything.  His supporters seem to forget Congress is a co-equal branch.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 06:50:50 pm »
Why?

Comparing his stepping through his sexual minefield to the anguish of Vietnam veterans qualifies him for five star scumbag status.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 06:54:26 pm »
Trump can't "make" anybody in Congress do anything.  His supporters seem to forget Congress is a co-equal branch.

Methinks you've forgotten the power a POTUS possesses when he has the will of the people behind him.  And, that's okay.  It's been a really  long time.

But that's about to change under President Trump.   :patriot:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:57:54 pm »

Don't you think a public a__chewing will get congress moving?
Under the threat of calling out the deadwood, they will do their job.
The white house has been protecting their own for decades and it is time to hear the truth.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:58:52 pm by EdinVA »

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 10:30:13 pm »
McInsane's and Romney's comments will only remind voters that the country club Republicans are the GOP's problem.  Both were insipid, weak candidates and fought like kittens against Obama.

The voters rejected both of them and now they are telling the voters what to do?  High comedy!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:32:23 pm »
Don't you think a public a__chewing will get congress moving?
Under the threat of calling out the deadwood, they will do their job.
The white house has been protecting their own for decades and it is time to hear the truth.

No. Threatening Congress is completely counterproductive coming from a blowhard who, if elected, will have attained office by the skin of his teeth.

Trump is not going to bully Congress like he bullies everybody else.  He's a naif in Washington.

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 10:36:44 pm »
Thinking "long and hard" before making your decision of voting for  commander in chief, is good advice, no matter who said it. But the McCain Hate is strong here.

I don't hate McCain and I certainly appreciate and respect him for his military service.  He has made a lousy Senator.  It's time for him to retire.  I don't think McCain has much credibility, especially when it comes to presidential candidates.  It is because of his FAILED campaign that we got Hussein in the first place!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A-Lert

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 11:03:44 pm »

Then why hasn't  Congress reigned in Obama?

HonestJohn

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 12:49:56 am »
Methinks you've forgotten the power a POTUS possesses when he has the will of the people behind him.  And, that's okay.  It's been a really  long time.

Wow.  Talk about shades of the night of the long knives.

Offline Carling

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 12:52:59 am »

Reigned him in?

Hell Ryan, McTurtle, and the rest of the GOoPers voted with the Dems on Obama's Omnibus bill over members of their own party, and stood by mouths agape while the Dem leadership spiked the football in their faces after knowing they won the game.

Good riddance, GOPe, and get lost.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 01:06:55 am »

They have. Where they've contested his EOs, they've won every encounter in court. And, they've managed to beat him on his latest EPA regs.

But, if the president vetoes a bill, how do you overcome his veto with no supermajority?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 01:08:46 am »

And it will continue to be a really, really long time.

If Trump wins, it will be by the skin of his teeth.  He won't have a mandate to to do jack.

And Trump's potty mouth is not going to intimidate long-serving Congress people who will be there long after he's assumed room temperature.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 01:21:08 am »
If Trump wins, it will be by the skin of his teeth.  He won't have a mandate to to do jack.   

Another step toward the light, Sink.  Now you're seeing the possibility of President Trump.  Again, I'm proud of you.   :bighug:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 01:23:44 am »
Another step toward the light, Sink.  Now you're seeing the possibility of President Trump.  Again, I'm proud of you.   :bighug:

Oh I don't think there's a chance he'll win.   I'm just pointing out that a President Trump would have no weight to throw around.

Online libertybele

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 01:37:02 am »
Reigned him in?

Hell Ryan, McTurtle, and the rest of the GOoPers voted with the Dems on Obama's Omnibus bill over members of their own party, and stood by mouths agape while the Dem leadership spiked the football in their faces after knowing they won the game.

Good riddance, GOPe, and get lost.

They haven't reigned him in because they all belong to the same country club.  I have always found it very difficult to believe that 534 members of Congress haven't been able to reign this president in and have allowed him to do whatever he wants.  They don't want to reign him in, they are very comfortable within the confines of the existing corruption.  We have FAILED leadership in all 3 branches of government.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A-Lert

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 08:53:15 am »
They have. Where they've contested his EOs, they've won every encounter in court. And, they've managed to beat him on his latest EPA regs.

But, if the president vetoes a bill, how do you overcome his veto with no supermajority?

You posted something earlier about congress and the executive being co-equals, did you not?

A-Lert

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 10:08:21 am »
Yes, he did which makes overriding a veto impossible without a super-majority in congress on items like Obamacare. This is why we need a Cruz, Rubio or Kasich who can win the Presidency and have a majority, however slim, in both houses of congress to get real progress done. And even then, it is difficult because of filibustering on certain legislation.

Rubio doesn't impress me, but I'd vote for him if it would keep Hillary from the US Presidency. Why aren't the GOP elites attacking her?

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 12:06:46 pm »

I had to think long and hard about voting for McCain in 2008. Wound up doing it for two reasons: Palin, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth of many in the GOP and 'conservative movement that if I didn't, I was allowing Barry to win. How times have changed.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online libertybele

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 01:17:17 pm »
Rubio doesn't impress me, but I'd vote for him if it would keep Hillary from the US Presidency. Why aren't the GOP elites attacking her?

They aren't attacking her because if she becomes president the Washington cartel remains in place; it will be 'business' as usual.  The GOPe and the DEMS are of the same country club.  The liberal leadership in the House and Senate who vote with the DEMS will remain status quo.  Rubio is part of the cartel...he is part of the Gang of 8.  In other words he is part of the problem, not the solution.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:19:12 pm by libertybele »