Author Topic: Why I Changed My Mind and Joined the #NeverTrump Movement  (Read 461 times)

Offline sinkspur

Why I Changed My Mind and Joined the #NeverTrump Movement
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:36:25 pm »
Why I Changed My Mind and Joined the #NeverTrump Movement

by DAVID FRENCH   

March 2, 2016 1:43 PM

Let me begin by saying that I was wrong. Weeks ago I said on a number of radio interviews that while I opposed Trump in the primary, I’d back him if he won the GOP nomination. I hadn’t yet seen — or had been unwilling to believe — the full extent of his contempt for the truth, his fondness for far-left conspiracy theories, and his sheer malice.

When I saw Trump in full, my decision was easy: Never Trump.

I have spent my entire adult life advocating against abortion and working to protect the unborn. I didn’t endure the taunts and jeers of my law-school classmates, work countless days and nights away from home to protect the free-speech rights of pro-life protestors, and defend the freedoms of the unsung heroes in crisis-pregnancy centers only to vote for a man who’s a walking Planned Parenthood commercial.

Last night, even in his alleged “uniter” mode, Trump went out of his way to once again praise the nation’s largest abortionist — the killer of millions of children — and call his critics “so-called conservatives.”

This language will never — not ever — unite the conservative movement.

While my own military service can’t compare to the sacrifices and courage of the true American heroes of the Iraq War, I didn’t leave my home and risk my life in the fight against the world’s worst jihadists to vote for a man who apparently believes that I was little more than the stooge of a vast conspiracy to lie our way into war. Moreover, I cannot abide the notion of voting for a man whose “war strategy” is a child-killing war crime and who said out loud that more bombs plus two months of Exxon will defeat ISIS.

Too many people act as if we’re electing a symbolic middle finger rather than a commander-in-chief. I defy you to find a single shred of evidence that Trump has given the slightest thought to America’s military and strategic challenges beyond his obviously ad-libbed bravado.

But the true battle for our country isn’t political, it’s cultural and spiritual. In an era where fidelity and integrity are in increasingly short supply — with the breakdown of faith and family the chief factors in the struggles among America’s most vulnerable citizens — how can I responsibly cast a vote to give one of the nation’s foremost cultural platforms to a man who has openly, loudly, and unrepentantly bragged of his adulterous sexual conquests? How can I support a man who demonstrates such a breathtaking level of malice and cruelty in his treatment of his fellow citizens?

Our nation can survive lost elections, but over the long term it cannot survive a decayed culture. And by God I won’t vote for a man who takes a wrecking ball to the core values I hold dear.

Those of us in the #NeverTrump camp are saying all this now — in the heat of the primary — not because we’re taking our ball and going home, but because we’re laying down a marker. We will fight Trump through every state, to the convention, and beyond. #NeverTrump isn’t a sign of surrender but rather a rallying cry.

The battle, after all, is far from over. The best hope for stopping Trump is to let his supporters know that he can’t possibly unite conservatives Although Trump has won the majority of the states so far, the delegate race is remarkably close — the New York Times has the spread at Trump 241, Cruz 222, and Rubio 110. Why? Because — as my colleague Jim Geraghty has noted — it’s tough to claim a mandate while winning only a combined 34.2 percent of votes cast.

With this reality, the worst thing that Trump’s opponents can do now is signal that the stakes are low, that this is a normal race, and that we’ll all get along just fine when this thing is over.

No, the best hope for stopping Trump is to let his supporters know that he can’t possibly unite conservatives and then blanket the airwaves, the Internet, and social media with the truth. He’ll blast the Republican party apart not because he’s taking on lobbyists and politicians (indeed, many in the political class are rallying around him now) but because he’s taking on the people who’ve been working in the trenches — against an overwhelmingly hostile culture — to defend life and liberty, to uphold the values Trump scorns.

There are those who say that the #NeverTrump crew should “get a life,” but we are opposed to Trump because of our lives: our life’s work, to be precise. No, not our careers — they will go on — but rather the long and vital work of building a conservative movement that represents our nation’s best hope for the greatness Trump claims to crave.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/432237/donald-trump-why-i-cant-vote-trump-nevertrump
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline PzLdr

Re: Why I Changed My Mind and Joined the #NeverTrump Movement
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 12:41:40 pm »
Look forward to that big wet kiss from Hillary, David. Nothing like sacrificing your country for your 'principles'.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 12:47:04 pm »
Ronald Reagan has words for you.

“A man who is 75-80% on my side is a valued Friend and Ally, not my enemy”.

Curious Mr French

What in the last 40 years have any GOP President done to stop the ever increasing number of Abortions?

I know this falls on deaf ears at Team "Hate Trump Always" but the fact remains, We are a Constitutional Republic that rests on the notion that the people’s Representatives in Government know how to compromise and negotiate. Cruz's record demonstrates a total inability to actually govern anything.

This notion that Cruz will ride into DC and dictate his 100%er terms to everyone else there is simply wishful thinking.

Really think Clinton, “Cult of Sanger and Abortion”, is going to REDUCE the number of abortions or is she going to do things that will massively increase them?

This “Never Trump” meme is the behavior of petulant children looking to spite everyone because their desires were not granted. It has nothing at all to do with anything resembling principals or reason.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:06:03 pm »
While I agree that Trump needs to be stopped, I am getting pretty sick of all this alarmism, including what Mitt Romney will be doing today.  It's just creating more sympathy for Trump.  Primaries are held for a reason.  We need to let the process play out, and the voters will decide who the nominee is going to be.  Threatening to take your ball and go home is just self-serving and counter-productive.  Defeat the man on the merits, if you can.  Give him a thorough vetting.  If he wins, he wins.  Shut up and vote against Hillary in the Fall.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 01:11:45 pm »
I have yet to see an single Trump supporter launch a national #NeverCruz #NeverRubio campaign.

This is a good example of the ancient tradition. Blaming the victims for fighting back.

Don’t throw punches unless you are ready for the target to punch back.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:12:03 pm by GAJohnnie »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 01:39:10 pm »
As Mr. French says, we're laying down a marker.  Trump represents an America that's intolerable to many of us, one fueled by xenophobia, aggression and malice.   It's not (at least for me) so much his policies (to the extent he's managed to articulate them),  but the man himself.  He doesn't have the temperament to be a uniter, his ego is too big and easily bruised,  and while his penchant for verbal violence may incite mobs,  he's never going to be able to inspire the better angels of our natures.   

If Trump wants the votes of a majority of Republicans, he's going to have to change, in a way that I just don't think he's capable of.  He's going to have to be conciliatory towards the supporters of those candidates he's insulted, he's going to have to acknowledge that he's offended women, minorities, the disabled and others, and sincerely apologize and make amends.   But he doesn't have it in him to be a unifier,  even when attempting to portray himself as one following his Super Tuesday victories.   He called Rubio "little Marco" (thereby alienating Rubio's supporters), insulted pro-lifers as "so-called conservatives", and, when asked about working with Congress, issued a crude threat:

I'm going to get along great with Congress, OK?    Paul Ryan, I don't know him well, but I'm sure I'm going to get along great with him, and if I don't? He's gonna have to pay a big price, OK? 

America is not ready to elect a mobster as President, OK?   As for me,  it's a simple matter of self-respect.  Never Trump.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:15:49 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide