Author Topic: Merkel: 'I have no plan B' on migrant crisis strategy  (Read 329 times)

rangerrebew

Merkel: 'I have no plan B' on migrant crisis strategy
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:48:23 am »
Merkel: 'I have no plan B' on migrant crisis strategy

http://www.dw.com/en/merkel-i-have-no-plan-b-on-migrant-crisis-strategy/a-19081119

In an interview, Chancellor Angela Merkel called for patience with efforts to accommodate refugees. Merkel said she was not weighing an alternative to her approach toward reducing the number of asylum applicants.
Angela Merkel bei Anne Will

Speaking on public television on Sunday, Chancellor Angela Merkel said Germany's borders would remain open to refugees. Merkel dismissed a "rigid limit," saying that "there is no point in believing that I can solve the problem through the unilateral closure of borders."

"I have no plan B," Merkel said, adding that she is convinced she is on the right track with efforts to redistribute refugees within Europe and addressing the problems causing mass displacement: "I am fighting for this approach."

Merkel sought to reassure viewers by insisting that her government's strategy is the only "logical" one - and came about after much thought.

The chancellor said she was concerned about disputes over migrants within the EU, and added that a breakdown of the European Union must be avoided.
Flüchtlinge Protest an der Grenze zwischen Griechenland und Mazedonien

Stranded migrants protest at the border between Greece and Macedonia

Merkel also said dealing with the migration crisis had been a "difficult path," but that it concerned Germany's reputation in the world: "This is a very important phase in our history," she said.

"There is so much violence and hardship on our doorstep," Merkel said. "What's right for Germany in the long term? There, I think it is to keep Europe together and to show humanity."

Threat to democracy?

The chancellor rejected the suggestion that recent violent protests and open displays of hostility towards refugees could lead to a threat to democracy similar to that experienced under the Weimar Republic. Then, after the loss of the First World War, a three-year period of hyperinflation up to 1924 caused political instability.

"I do not believe that," Merkel said, but noted that it was important to take such warnings seriously. She said that it was her job "to solve problems so that we can stand by our values."

Commenting on what she called the "devastating" attacks on women in Cologne at New Year by men said to be of mostly North African origin, Merkel said: "Rules must be clear from the start" to refugees, adding, "Integration isn't just a voluntary matter."

The interview was the third major television appearance that Merkel has made in the last five months - the first with the same ARD talkshow hosted by Anne Will, the second with ZDF in mid-November.

Merkel's party faces elections on March 13 when voters elect new regional parliaments in three of Germany's 16 states. It is the first poll since the migrant crisis began.

Talking to Turkey and Greece

Merkel said that viable agreements with Turkey needed to be made in order to limit the influx of refugees into Europe.

She added that her focus is on negotiations with Turkey - over providing better care to refugees - due to take place next week, with a summit on migration expected ten days later. The chancellor ruled out any personal consequences for herself in the event that the talks fail, saying only that such a scenario would entail more work on finding a solution.
Deutschland Flüchtlinge in Berlin

Migrants gather in a hostel in Berlin

The ARD talk show host, Anne Will, asked Merkel about the growing number of refugees unable to cross into Macedonia at Greece's border with the country.

Merkel responded, "We cannot let this country down." Greece was not kept within the eurozone just to be plunged into "chaos" now, she explained.

"The international financial crisis was a big challenge. We managed that well. The euro crisis was a huge challenge," Merkel commented.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:21:01 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline mountaineer

Re: Merkel: 'I have no plan B' on migrant crisis strategy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 12:08:38 pm »
Bring refugees from Greece yourself, Austria tells Merkel
Published: 02 Mar 2016 09:16 GMT+01:00

With large numbers of refugees building up in Greece after Austria and western Balkan nations closed their borders, Vienna has put the ball in Germany's court.

Germany "should set up a daily quota and then bring these refugees directly from Greece, Turkey or Jordan," Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann told the Kurier newspaper on Wednesday.

"Austria cannot and must not become a distribution hub [for refugees]. There must be an end to that," Faymann went on.

He could not accept "that several thousands of people are waved through every day, on the other hand Germany informs us that today it will only allow 1,000 or 2,000 into the country."

Merkel fights back

"Anyone who closes national borders doesn't do anything against the causes for the refugee movement," Chancellor Angela Merkel shot back.

The German Chancellor has long been fighting for a solution at the EU level to distribute refugees after they arrive in Greece and Italy.

But it's tough going, as many other national leaders accuse her of attracting more people to Europe with an open-door policy which Germany decided on alone.

"We have to find sustainable solutions that we will still be able to justify tomorrow," Merkel said. "Above all, [we need] solutions that don't set up something on one side that other countries simply have to deal with."

Refugees blocked in Greece

Thousands of people remain stuck at Greece's northern borders after Macedonia – not a member of the EU, but invited to Austria's western Balkans conference last week - closed its gates.

People crammed into the camps up against the border fences on Tuesday called on Merkel to resolve the situation and let them continue their journeys.  ... [/url=http://www.thelocal.de/20160302/just-bring-refugees-straight-from-greece-austria-tells-merkel]More at The Local[/url]
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org