Author Topic: Trump Resists Calls for Release of NY Times Transcripts  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Trump Resists Calls for Release of NY Times Transcripts
« on: March 01, 2016, 04:37:02 pm »
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-01/trump-resists-calls-for-release-of-ny-times-transcripts

Donald Trump is pushing back against calls from his Republican rivals to allow the release of an off-the-record recording in which he allegedly indicated to The New York Times editorial board a willingness to be politically expedient regarding his campaign promises.

The flap started over a column posted by Buzzfeed’s Editor-In-Chief Ben Smith, who said the recording of the conversation – standard for candidates seeking a newspaper’s endorsement –  had reached “near-mythical status at the Times.”

Smith cited a post from Times columnist Gail Collins, who was in the room for the off-the-record conversation, that described Trump’s proposals for a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border and plans to deport 11 million people in the U.S. illegally were likely to end up “the first bid in some future monster negotiation session.”

“Sources familiar with the recording and transcript,” Smith wrote, “tell me that the second sentence is a bit more than speculation. It reflects, instead, something Trump said about the flexibility of his hardline anti-immigration stance.”
Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., arrives for the Senate Republicans' policy lunch in the Capitol on Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2015.

RELATED
Ben Sasse Vows to Oppose Trump in November

In an interview with Fox News Monday night, Trump slammed the Times for violating the agreement to keep the contents of the January meeting off-the-record.

"Yeah, of course they're leaking it," Trump said. "The most dishonest media group. And it's also failing. I call it the failing New York Times. It's doing so badly, it's dying. But I did. We had a board meeting. It was off the record. All of a sudden, they leak it. It's all over the place."

Fox host Sean Hannity pressed Trump on whether his proposals were merely negotiating positions.

"It's negotiable," he said. "Things are negotiable. I'll be honest with you – I'll make the wall two feet shorter, or something. I mean, everything's negotiable."

"Building it?” Trump added. “Not negotiable."

The interview came after Trump’s main rivals for the Republican nomination, Sens. Marco Rubio of Florida and Ted Cruz of Texas, blasted him over the rumors, implying that it proved he was unprincipled and only pretending to be conservative in order to win the nomination.

"I call on Donald: Ask the New York Times to release the tape,” Cruz said on CNN Monday.

Rubio used the dustup to continue his recent tack against the front-runner, who he has repeatedly this week called “a con man” who cannot be allowed to take over “the party of Lincoln and Reagan.”

At an Arkansas rally, Rubio said Trump told the times “what he really believes about immigration, what sounds like what he told them was different than what he is telling you but it was off the record."

"Donald Trump should ask The New York Times to release the audio of his interview with him so we can see exactly what it is he truly believes about this issue that he has made the cornerstone of his campaign,” Rubio said.

And Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican nominee who has stepped up his criticism of Trump in recent days, calling also for the billionaire real estate developer to release his tax returns and excoriating him for wavering over whether to denounce support from a Ku Klux Klan leader, speculated the Times transcript would include something that would cause voters to turn against Trump.

“Another bombshell? Trump should authorize The New York Times to release the transcript of his ed board review,” he tweeted, along with the hashtag: #WhatIsHeHiding
The Republic is lost.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump Resists Calls for Release of NY Times Transcripts
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 04:45:53 pm »
Of course Trump won't release it.  He says whatever he has to say at the time to get approval. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 05:01:53 pm »
by Ian Hanchett29 Feb 2016

Talk radio host and Fox News Channel anchor Sean Hannity declared a New York Times piece about his position on immigration reform and the Gang of Eight was “a bold-faced lie” and added that he was “getting pissed off at [GOP presidential candidate Florida Senator] Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) too” over his performance during the debate and on the trail during his radio show on Monday.

Hannity began by talking about the NYT article. He stated that other talk radio hosts, such as Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, and Laura Ingraham wouldn’t change their principled opinions on any issue. He further said that in 20 years at FNC he had never been told what position to take on a single issue, including immigration.

Hannity further stated that after the 2012 election, he did say “out of anger” and “off the cuff” that he had evolved on immigration, if there was border security first, a comment that he regrets. He added that he does not know of anyone who has done more to highlight the issue of illegal immigration than he has.

He further declared the NYT piece “categorically nothing but a bold-faced lie about me.” And said the piece’s author should have reached out to him first.

Later, Hannity said, “I’m getting pissed off at Marco Rubio too. … Marco, you’re being inauthentic. You’re not Donald Trump. Stop trying to act like Donald Trump. And stop trying to be something that you’re not. For nine debates, Marco Rubio, I thought presented himself well, and presented his ideas the way he is. And now what’s bugging me about this whole thing is clearly all these establishment guys have sat Marco down and said, ‘Marco, you’ve got to be somebody who you’re not, and you’ve got to go after Donald Trump in a way you never have before.'”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/02/29/hannity-nyt-immigration-piece-a-bold-faced-lie-getting-pissed-off-at-inauthentic-rubio/

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 05:19:07 pm »
Hannity's in the tank for Trump.  Has been all along.

Gave him an entire hour last Monday before Nevada, then an entire hour last night before Super Tuesday.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:19:37 pm by sinkspur »

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 05:54:55 pm »
No one has been better for the Free Press than Me.

Said Donald to his legal libel team.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 06:09:13 pm »
I saw a clip of Little Marco at a rally somewhere yesterday - holding his phone up and crowing like a rooster with his Trump insults. 

I noticed Nikki Haley was behind him, and as he went on and on - I could see anger on her face, she was really biting her tongue.  I don't think she like what he was doing at all!  Something made her mad - even my husband commented on it.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:12:51 pm »
I saw a clip of Little Marco at a rally somewhere yesterday - holding his phone up and crowing like a rooster with his Trump insults. 

I noticed Nikki Haley was behind him, and as he went on and on - I could see anger on her face, she was really biting her tongue.  I don't think she like what he was doing at all!  Something made her mad - even my husband commented on it.

Well, it is possible that what made her mad was that she threw her support behind a guy who can't win a primary and is losing by a huge margin in his own state.  That might be it...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:17:17 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:42:09 pm »
Of course Trump won't release it.  He says whatever he has to say at the time to get approval.
How can Trump release tapes that belong to the NYT?

I am a newspaper reporter and when I assure someone that what they say is "off the record" - when they've asked that it be so - I'd better mean it. Otherwise, my credibility and integrity are down the drain. My opinion of the NYT already is pretty low, but if they released these tapes or reported their contents in any way, it would be much lower.

What I don't quite understand is why any newspaper would tell a presidential candidate that he could say whatever he wanted, don't worry, it's off the record. Nothing a candidate says should be so. They should tell him no, we can't do this particular interview OTR.

But if the NYT told Trump what he said was off the record, it should be and I don't approve of any other candidate demanding that it be released.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 06:47:16 pm »
Cat's out of the bag now.  Trump no doubt backtracked on his immigration stance or Gail Collins wouldn't have alluded to it.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 07:15:03 pm »
Cat's out of the bag now.  Trump no doubt backtracked on his immigration stance or Gail Collins wouldn't have alluded to it.

Now nobody has read the transcript, but there is speculation that using negotiation tactics from his book Art of The Deal, that he said he demanded for something so outrageous,  - 40 foot wall, just got 10 feet taller, big beautiful gate,  Mexico will pay for it, It will be a beautiful Wall, etc. that the other party will be happy to come up from their opening offer.   Or  something to that effect said in the interview.  If so, nothing scandalous, but he's got his supporters hopes so high that all of this would come true, that it would be a bombshell if what they placed their hopes and dreams on, is not much more than what the other GOP candidates are offering.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 07:25:44 pm »

He has said many times that his position on immigration is negotiable. He even said it to Hannity yesterday. “By the way it is negotiable. Things are negotiable”, then he had to be led by Hannity back to the 'tough' stance in the interview.

Makes one wonder how much further he took the NYT comments. It seems logical that he would say 'go ahead, release them, I'm consistent', unless of course, he isn't.

Offline Carling

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 07:30:21 pm »
Well, it is possible that what made her mad was that she threw her support behind a guy who can't win a primary and is losing by a huge margin in his own state.  That might be it...

Haley may have destroyed her own political future by backing Foamy Rubio.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 07:31:04 pm »
Now nobody has read the transcript, but there is speculation that using negotiation tactics from his book Art of The Deal, that he said he demanded for something so outrageous,  - 40 foot wall, just got 10 feet taller, big beautiful gate,  Mexico will pay for it, It will be a beautiful Wall, etc. that the other party will be happy to come up from their opening offer.   Or  something to that effect said in the interview.  If so, nothing scandalous, but he's got his supporters hopes so high that all of this would come true, that it would be a bombshell if what they placed their hopes and dreams on, is not much more than what the other GOP candidates are offering.

Hate to burst your bubble Navy, but most Trump supporters understand The Art of the Deal.  WE know you always ask for more than you want to get - WE know that "compromise" on things you included in the pkg just for that is a big part of The Art of the Deal.  40 ft wall?  Yeah, we know all about that talk.

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 07:34:58 pm »
... off-the-record recording in which he allegedly indicated

Click bait, nothing more

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 07:35:24 pm »
Haley may have destroyed her own political future by backing Foamy Rubio.

Nah.  She's among the most popular Republican governors in the country.   

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 07:36:13 pm »
Hate to burst your bubble Navy, but most Trump supporters understand The Art of the Deal.  WE know you always ask for more than you want to get - WE know that "compromise" on things you included in the pkg just for that is a big part of The Art of the Deal.  40 ft wall?  Yeah, we know all about that talk.

Even the "we'll get Mexico to pay for it" is bullshit.  He may build a wall, or he may not.

"Everything's negotiable."

Offline Carling

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 07:39:22 pm »
Nah.  She's among the most popular Republican governors in the country.

So popular that the GOPe candidate she endorsed and is campaigning with is polling at 18% and is tied with Ted Cruz in the state she governs.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:40:56 pm by Carling »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 07:39:52 pm »
Even the "we'll get Mexico to pay for it" is bullshit.  He may build a wall, or he may not.

Sink - he's not talking about Mexico handing over a big giant-sized check like you get when you win the lottery.  There are ways to get money from Mexico - transaction fees, taxes, etc.  A lot of money and business passes across our borders and usually Mexico comes out in the better end of the deal.  That's what he is talking about. 

Offline Carling

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 07:44:46 pm »
Sink - he's not talking about Mexico handing over a big giant-sized check like you get when you win the lottery.  There are ways to get money from Mexico - transaction fees, taxes, etc.  A lot of money and business passes across our borders and usually Mexico comes out in the better end of the deal.  That's what he is talking about.

Here is one opinion on how Mexico pays for a border wall interpreted from  the Patriot Act.

http://www.alipac.us/f9/kris-kobach-endorses-donald-trump-329504/

“Finally, on the subject of building the wall on our southern border, Mr. Trump is correct when he says that the United States has the ability to compel Mexico to pay for it,” he said. “

As I have discussed with Mr. Trump, the PATRIOT Act contains a provision that the United States can and should use as leverage with the Government of Mexico,” he continued. “We have the ability to shut down the flow of remittances to Mexico from illegal aliens working in the United States. Mexico will have to make a choice: either make a single payment of $5-10 billion to the United States to pay for the wall, or lose most of the $23 billion in remittances that Mexico receives every year from its nationals working in the United States.

I realize that the GOPe and their buddies the Dems will squeal like pigs about it, but if Trump wins the presidency he will have the ability to implement such a plan. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 07:50:54 pm »

Trade negotiations have to go through Congress.  Trump needs to realize that we have 3 branches of government; the Executive, Judicial and Legislative branch.  Secondly, he needs to realize that the U.S. is bound by existing pacts. Thirdly, the 'art of the deal' may have worked in business but he needs to realize our government; our Republic is NOT a business.

The guy is not only a FRAUD, he's a buffoon.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 07:54:29 pm »

Didn't he tell the mayor of Laredo months ago that he wouldn't build a wall in certain places?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 08:01:27 pm »

I'm glad you understand the "Art of the Deal". The book itself is mostly hyperbole mixed in with what was called in Business Ethics class - 'The Art of the Con. I wonder how many cite the name 'The Art of the Deal' actually have studied it?

Consider if the "Deal" is being used on voters now?  Here are the lessons from The Art of the Deal.

Selling the picture. Truthful hyperbole maybe? Tell them what they want to hear, play to their fantasies? 
Bargaining tactics. Act power-focused, explore information asymmetries or manipulate?
Negotiating relationships. Treat them as enemies or adversaries, not partners.
Negotiation and agents. Protect our own interests even at the client's expense.
Social influences and impact. Only worry about your gains. Let others worry about their own.

I suggest picking up The Art of the Deal at the bookstore but side by side, read it with What's Fair: Ethics for Negotiators by Menkel-Meadow and Wheelers. 

Remember, right now, he isn't 'deal making' for a wall, immigration, or any of that. He is 'deal making' for votes.

From the Art of the Deal- bragging about overtly lying to win a 'deal'.

In 1982, he wanted Holiday Inn to buy a stake in his casino project in Atlantic City, and he was concerned it would decline because construction wasn’t far enough along. So he told his construction manager to hire a ton of bulldozers and dump trucks to move dirt around the site, so it would look extremely busy when Holiday Inn executives made a site visit. The instructions were simple:

What the bulldozers and dump trucks did wasn’t important, I said, so long as they did a lot of it.

According to Mr. Trump, this display worked: “These distinguished corporate leaders looked on, some of them visibly awed. I’ll never forget one of them turning to me, shaking his head, and saying, ‘You know, it’s great when you’re a private guy, and you can just pull out all the stops.’

Note, after The Art of the Deal, the Atlantic Casino was one of the properties that went bankrupt.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 08:18:04 pm »

He can't impose those unilaterally and Congress is not going to impose tariffs.

On ANYBODY!!

Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 08:18:55 pm »
"I will build you ... one of the great ballrooms of the world." –Donald Trump, on building a $100 million ballroom at the White House.

Truth be told, I wouldn't let Trump build an out house.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:15 pm »
Here is one opinion on how Mexico pays for a border wall interpreted from  the Patriot Act.

http://www.alipac.us/f9/kris-kobach-endorses-donald-trump-329504/

I realize that the GOPe and their buddies the Dems will squeal like pigs about it, but if Trump wins the presidency he will have the ability to implement such a plan.

He will not have the ability.  He has to go through Congress, and a GOP Congress is not going to impose a tax of any kind.