Author Topic: Senator Ben Sasse- AN OPEN LETTER TO TRUMP SUPPORTERS  (Read 3989 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Senator Ben Sasse- AN OPEN LETTER TO TRUMP SUPPORTERS
« on: February 29, 2016, 07:55:32 pm »
To my friends supporting Donald Trump:

The Trump coalition is broad and complicated, but I believe many Trump fans are well-meaning. I have spoken at length with many of you, both inside and outside Nebraska. You are rightly worried about our national direction. You ache about a crony-capitalist leadership class that is not urgent about tackling our crises. You are right to be angry.

I’m as frustrated and saddened as you are about what’s happening to our country. But I cannot support Donald Trump.

Please understand: I’m not an establishment Republican, and I will never support Hillary Clinton. I’m a movement conservative who was elected over the objections of the GOP establishment. My current answer for who I would support in a hypothetical matchup between Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton is: Neither of them. I sincerely hope we select one of the other GOP candidates, but if Donald Trump ends up as the GOP nominee, conservatives will need to find a third option.

Mr. Trump’s relentless focus is on dividing Americans, and on tearing down rather than building back up this glorious nation. Much like President Obama, he displays essentially no understanding of the fact that, in the American system, we have a constitutional system of checks and balances, with three separate but co-equal branches of government. And the task of public officials is to be public “servants.” The law is king, and the people are boss. But have you noticed how Mr. Trump uses the word “Reign” – like he thinks he’s running for King? It’s creepy, actually. Nebraskans are not looking for a king. We yearn instead for the recovery of a Constitutional Republic.

At this point in Nebraska discussions, many of you have immediately gotten practical: “Okay, fine, you think there are better choices than Trump. But you would certainly still vote for Trump over Clinton in a general election, right?”

Before I explain why my answer is “Neither of them,” let me correct some nonsense you might have heard on the internet of late.

WHY I RAN FOR SENATE

***No, I’m not a career politician. (I had never run for anything until being elected to the U.S. Senate fifteen months ago, and I ran precisely because I actually want to make America great again.)
***No, I’m not a lawyer who has never created a job. (I was a business guy before becoming a college president in my hometown.)
***No, I’m not part of the Establishment. (Sheesh, I had attack ads by the lobbyist class run against me while I was on a bus tour doing 16 months of townhalls across Nebraska. Why? Precisely because I was not the preferred candidate of Washington.)
***No, I’m not concerned about political job security. (The very first thing I did upon being sworn in in January 2015 was to introduce a constitutional amendment for term limits – this didn’t exactly endear me to my new colleagues.)
***No, I’m not for open borders. (The very first official trip I took in the Senate was to observe and condemn how laughably porous the Texas/Mexican border is. See 70 tweets from @bensasse in February 2015.)
***No, I’m not a “squishy,” feel-good, grow-government moderate. (I have the 4th most-conservative voting record in the Senate: https://www.conservativereview.com/members/benjamin-sasse/ http://www.heritageactionscorecard.com/membe…/member/S001197 )

In my very first speech to the Senate, I told my colleagues that “The people despise us all.” This institution needs to get to work, not on the lobbyists’ priorities, but on the people’s: https://youtu.be/zQMoB4aUn04?t=3m8s

Now, to the question at hand: Will I pledge to vote for just any “Republican” nominee over Hillary Clinton?

Let’s begin by rejecting naïve purists: Politics has no angels. Politics is not about creating heaven on earth. Politics is simply about preserving a framework for ordered liberty – so that free people can find meaning and happiness not in politics but in their families, their neighborhoods, their work.

POLITICAL PARTIES

Now, let’s talk about political parties: parties are just tools to enact the things that we believe. Political parties are not families; they are not religions; they are not nations – they are often not even on the level of sports loyalties. They are just tools. I was not born Republican. I chose this party, for as long as it is useful.

If our Party is no longer working for the things we believe in – like defending the sanctity of life, stopping ObamaCare, protecting the Second Amendment, etc. – then people of good conscience should stop supporting that party until it is reformed.

VOTING

Now, let’s talk about voting: Voting is usually just about choosing the lesser evil of the most viable candidates.

“Usually…” But not always. Certain moments are larger. They cause us to explicitly ask: Who are we as a people? What does the way we vote here say about our shared identity? What is actually the president’s job?

THE PRESIDENT’S CORE CALLING

The president’s job is not about just mindlessly shouting the word “strong” – as if Vladimir Putin, who has been strongly bombing civilian populations in Syria the last month, is somehow a model for the American presidency. No, the president’s core calling is to “Preserve, Protect, and Defend the Constitution.”

Before we ever get into any technical policy fights – about pipelines, or marginal tax rates, or term limits, or Medicare reimbursement codes – America is first and fundamentally about a shared Constitutional creed. America is exceptional, because she is at her heart a big, bold truth claim about human dignity, natural rights, and self-control – and therefore necessarily about limited rather than limitless government.

THE MEANING OF AMERICA

America is the most exceptional nation in the history of the world because our Constitution is the best political document that’s ever been written. It said something different than almost any other government had said before: Most governments before said that might makes right, that government decides what our rights are and that the people are just dependent subjects. Our Founders said that God gives us rights by nature, and that government is not the author or source of our rights. Government is just our shared project to secure those rights.

Government exists only because the world is fallen, and some people want to take your property, your liberty, and your life. Government is tasked with securing a framework for ordered liberty where “we the people” can in our communities voluntarily build something great together for our kids and grandkids. That’s America. Freedom of religion, freedom of the press, freedom of association, freedom of speech – the First Amendment is the heartbeat of the American Constitution, of the American idea itself.

WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT TO MR. TRUMP?

So let me ask you: Do you believe the beating heart of Mr. Trump’s candidacy has been a defense of the Constitution? Do you believe it’s been an impassioned defense of the First Amendment – or an attack on it?

Which of the following quotes give you great comfort that he’s in love with the First Amendment, that he is committed to defending the Constitution, that he believes in executive restraint, that he understands servant leadership?

Statements from Trump:
***“We’re going to open up libel laws and we’re going to have people sue you like you’ve never got sued before.”
***“When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. They were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak…”
***Putin, who has killed journalists and is pillaging Ukraine, is a great leader.
***The editor of National Review “should not be allowed on TV and the FCC should fine him.”
***On whether he will use executive orders to end-run Congress, as President Obama has illegally done: "I won't refuse it. I'm going to do a lot of things." “I mean, he’s led the way, to be honest with you.”
***“Sixty-eight percent would not leave under any circumstance. I think that means murder. It think it means anything.”
***On the internet: “I would certainly be open to closing areas” of it.
***His lawyers to people selling anti-Trump t-shirts: “Mr. Trump considers this to be a very serious matter and has authorized our legal team to take all necessary and appropriate actions to bring an immediate halt...”
***Similar threatening legal letters to competing campaigns running ads about his record.

And on it goes…

IF MR. TRUMP BECOMES THE NOMINEE...

Given what we know about him today, here’s where I’m at: If Donald Trump becomes the Republican nominee, my expectation is that I will look for some third candidate – a conservative option, a Constitutionalist.

I do not claim to speak for a movement, but I suspect I am far from alone. After listening to Nebraskans in recent weeks, and talking to a great many people who take oaths seriously, I think many are in the same place. I believe a sizable share of Christians – who regard threats against religious liberty as arguably the greatest crisis of our time – are unwilling to support any candidate who does not make a full-throated defense of the First Amendment a first commitment of their candidacy.

Conservatives understand that all men are created equal and made in the image of God, but also that government must be limited so that fallen men do not wield too much power. A presidential candidate who boasts about what he'll do during his "reign" and refuses to condemn the KKK cannot lead a conservative movement in America.

TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT

Thank you for listening. While I recognize that we disagree about how to make America great again, we agree that this should be our goal. We need more people engaged in the civic life of our country—not fewer. I genuinely appreciate how much many of you care about this country, and that you are demanding something different from Washington. I’m going to keep doing the same thing.

But I can’t support Donald Trump.

Humbly,

Ben Sasse
Nebraska

https://www.facebook.com/sassefornebraska/posts/561073597391141?hc_location=ufi

Offline Longiron

Re: Senator Ben Sasse- AN OPEN LETTER TO TRUMP SUPPORTERS
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:01:24 pm »
Another UNIPARTY establishment politician and even lies about it in his letter who knows his days are numbered?? :whocares:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:03:05 pm »
Must be searching the web all day long looking for anti-Trump minutia.... what a waste of your time.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 08:05:14 pm »
Another UNIPARTY establishment politician and even lies about it in his letter who knows his days are numbered?? :whocares:

The ONLY UNIParty supporter around here is YOU!  There is NO difference, other than their gender, between Donald Trump and Hillary Clintoon! NONE!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:07:54 pm »
Must be searching the web all day long looking for anti-Trump minutia.... what a waste of your time.

I didn't know a well respected, Tea Party Senator's public statement was 'minutia'.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 08:08:07 pm »
. I believe a sizable share of Christians – who regard threats against religious liberty as arguably the greatest crisis of our time – are unwilling to support any candidate who does not make a full-throated defense of the First Amendment a first commitment of their candidacy.

Trump, in fact, wants to use the First Amendment to bludgeon his opponents.  He is a menace to the First Amendment.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:10:06 pm »

Ben Sasse is one of the most conservative members of Congress.  Trump is doing nothing but causing divisiveness in the GOP.

He cannot win as, one by one, respectable members of the conservative movement come out against him.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 08:25:20 pm »
I didn't know a well respected, Tea Party Senator's public statement was 'minutia'.

Deciding that your will is more important then the views of the vast majority of GOP voters gets a Politicans fired no matter how "holy" they think their cause. This Senator represents the DC Mindset, not the Tea Party. The idea that the DC agenda is to be obeyed and if you voters don't listen to us, we will throw a temper tantrum on election day should get a politician fired.

This Senator thinks he is the Master, not the Servant, of the people. That is the mindset that needs to be sent home in disgrace.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:26:51 pm by GAJohnnie »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 08:31:04 pm »
Deciding that your will is more important then the views of the vast majority of GOP voters gets a Politicans fired no matter how "holy" they think their cause. This Senator represents the DC Mindset, not the Tea Party. The idea that the DC agenda is to be obeyed and if you voters don't listen to us, we will throw a temper tantrum on election day should get a politician fired.

This Senator thinks he is the Master, not the Servant, of the people. That is the mindset that needs to be sent home in disgrace.

So, because Sasse opposes a bigot who refuses to disavow the KKK he should be kicked out of office by voters?  What does that say about the voters?

Correction:  Trump is not winning "the vast majority of GOP voters." He's winning majorities.  The other candidates together have more voters than Trump.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 08:32:41 pm »

He is not throwing a temper tantrum or acting like a ruler or master. He is giving his reasons why he won't support Trump. He is just not being politically correct and he is saying what a lot of people are thinking. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

If he were to act like a 'master' instead of a servant, he would probably do things like threaten to sue people who disagreed with them. He would probably say that people who disagreed with him need to be a bit 'roughed up'. He probably would want to pass laws that restrict speech that he feels is negative to him.  That's what people who want to be a 'master' do.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 08:45:19 pm »
PRINCIPLED Position would be

I do not agree with my party's choice but as a member in good standing I have lost this debate and need to abide by the will of the party.

Or

I strongly disagree with my party's choice so I will resign my senate seat and my GOP membership and run for the job as an Independent.

It is an ego driver temperament to say "I' don't like who the party chooses so I am going to accept all the perks of being IN the party while actively working to sabotage the will of the vast majority of the party's voters."

That is pompous self serving betrayal and the voters have every right to hold the Senator accountable.

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:28 pm »
PRINCIPLED Position would be

I do not agree with my party's choice but as a member in good standing I have lost this debate and need to abide by the will of the party.

Or

I strongly disagree with my party's choice so I will resign my senate seat and my GOP membership and run for the job as an Independent.

It is an ego driver temperament to say "I' don't like who the party chooses so I am going to accept all the perks of being IN the party while actively working to sabotage the will of the vast majority of the party's voters."

That is pompous self serving betrayal and the voters have every right to hold the Senator accountable.

Trump has not won yet and his state's primary isn't until May 10th? Why would he give up and shut up now?

Anyway, he is just saying what a lot of people are thinking. Maybe he doesn't want to go along with the establishment or be politically correct about it?

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 08:54:28 pm »
Read the letter. He is not talking about just the Primary. And if this is his position, he resigns from the GOP if Trump wins the nomination if he has any ethical integrity at all. Don't get to use the party when it is convent tool to get elected then throw a temper-tantrum when it doesn't do what you wish it to do.

My current answer for who I would support in a hypothetical matchup between Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton is: Neither of them. I sincerely hope we select one of the other GOP candidates, but if Donald Trump ends up as the GOP nominee, conservatives will need to find a third option.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 08:59:47 pm »
Read the letter. He is not talking about just the Primary. And if this is his position, he resigns from the GOP if Trump wins the nomination if he has any ethical integrity at all. Don't get to use the party when it is convent tool to get elected then throw a temper-tantrum when it doesn't do what you wish it to do.

My current answer for who I would support in a hypothetical matchup between Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton is: Neither of them. I sincerely hope we select one of the other GOP candidates, but if Donald Trump ends up as the GOP nominee, conservatives will need to find a third option.

And he is EXACTLY right because the FACT is that, other than their birth gender, there is NO difference between Donald Trump and Hillary Clintoon! NONE!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 09:00:36 pm »
Ben Sasse is one of the most conservative members of Congress.  Trump is doing nothing but causing divisiveness in the GOP.

He cannot win as, one by one, respectable members of the conservative movement come out against him.

Except that one of the other "most conservative members of congress" just yesterday endorsed Donald Trump for president: Sen. Jeff Sessions.

Sessions, too, is well regarded among conservatives. Only, Sessions didn't come out with an opinion piece admonishing other conservatives for their lousy choice of candidate. (which I have found to be typical among Trump haters).

So, now what?

Offline ABX

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 09:00:45 pm »

So being loyal to the part is the most important part?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 09:04:15 pm »
Except that one of the other "most conservative members of congress" just yesterday endorsed Donald Trump for president: Sen. Jeff Sessions.

Sessions, too, is well regarded among conservatives. Only, Sessions didn't come out with an opinion piece admonishing other conservatives for their lousy choice of candidate. (which I have found to be typical among Trump haters).

So, now what?

Can't explain Sessions.  He ignores Trump's desire to gut the First Amendment, his support of Planned Parenthood, and his threat to try to muscle through a 35% tax on imported goods.

Sessions is all about immigration, and he's going to be sorely disappointed when it turns out most of what Trump wants doesn't happen.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 09:08:37 pm »
The ONLY UNIParty supporter around here is YOU!  There is NO difference, other than their gender, between Donald Trump and Hillary Clintoon! NONE!

UPDATE; CRUZ and RUBIO and Hillary are main UNIPARTY candidates. TRUMP will build the wall, stop illegal immigration, STOP TPP, get rid of Obamacare and common core, Make the Police the good guys again, KILL ISIS, Lower personal & corporate tax rates and want to know the rest look it up! You have no idea what TPP will do to this country and the jobs , immigration, amnesty program all tied into TPP. Probably a worse deal than IRAN. What does your UNIPARTY candidates propose?? You are a typical UNIPARTY poster on here. All you have are personality issues that you spend all day looking up. TALK about or complain about TRUMP policies or proposed policies and what your candidate will do different. Do not have any and anyone can attack personality?? :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:11:43 pm by Longiron »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 09:11:21 pm »
UPDATE; CRUZ and RUBIO and Hillary are main UNIPARTY candidates. TRUMP will build the wall, stop illegal immigration, STOP TPP, get rid of Obamacare and common core, Make the Police the good guys again, KILL ISIS, Lower personal & corporate tax rates and want to know the rest look it up! You have no idea what TPP will do to this country and the jobs , immigration, amnesty program all tied into TPP. Probably a worse deal than IRAN. What does your UNIPARTY candidates propose??

Can you show me a DROP of evidennce taht would support that or is it just more "Hope and Change" BS?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Longiron

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 09:13:03 pm »
Can you show me a DROP of evidennce taht would support that or is it just more "Hope and Change" BS?

:whistle:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions

Offline Carling

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 09:13:57 pm »

Hillary is running on anti-illegal immigration and on suspending Muslim immigration until a better vetting process can be implemented?

Is that your opinion?

Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 09:14:08 pm »
So, Benny,

Since 'GOP Leadership' in the Congress is an oxymoron, I guess you're looking forward to working with Attila the Hen, eh? ' Cause you guys have a well established record of not doing jack when it counts.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 09:24:20 pm »
:whistle:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions

What is there in his HISTORY or Past ACTIONS that says he will do ANY of that? Show it to me!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 09:29:46 pm »
What is there in his HISTORY or Past ACTIONS that says he will do ANY of that? Show it to me!

The same place where you keep the History and past actions that any of the other candidates will do anything they say.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 09:31:57 pm »

Amen!  I cannot and will NOT support Trump period.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.